Defense

Between this year and last year I think we are better at every aspect of the game except for the passing game.

After a day to think a out and rewatch the game, if we had played a clean game we would have won it.

I think this regime is going to be like Pardee’s where it started slow and then when they got it, they really got it and were a very good team/program.

2 Likes

perspective guys: We have played the #1 QB and #14 QB QBR wise. Perhaps if we were Alabama we could have smoked them, perhaps not but we held our own.

1 Like

Tulane has play two fbs schools and Auburn’s offense is really not doing all that well this year. I am not saying we are sure to win but we are a lot further along than a lot of fans want to admit. Tulane is not going to pass like WSU or run as well as the Sooners.

It’s just not enjoyable to watch the opposing quarterbacks have the luxury of standing in the pocket playing darts :dart:. Defensive pressure and hurries are a legitimate expectation. When they are not there it should raise some concerns.

1 Like

My best guess is it will vary depending on the capabilities of the opposition. Defense will adjust to the opponents strengths . . . . .

Dropping 8 in coverage works at the end of the game and on 3rd and 40. Otherwise, its a free play for the offense. imo

1 Like

Total Defense: 122 of 130

122: Houston
123: Syracuse
124: Fla. Atlantic
125: Kent St.
126: Vanderbilt
127: Massachusetts
128: New Mexico St.
129: Georgia St.
130: New Mexico

Link:

1 Like

Very difficult to sack QB playing Leach’s offense…we actually did it once and hurried the kid out of the pocket a number of times.

3 Likes

16th in win percentage overall. In the modern era (since 1991, the year they joined the Big East), last.

Key Defense Stats:

So far this year, we’ve played 2 of the Top 5 offenses in the nation and, as a result, we’ve given up 497 yards/game. [NOTE: OU is ranked #1 at 677 yards/game and WSU is ranked #5 at 476 yards/game.]

Did you see our defense in last year’s bowl game? UH gave up 592 yards to an Army team which had averaged only 392 yards per game all year (including our game).

4 Likes

Fair point.

That’s the most depressing stat I have ever seen.

1 Like

Against our 3rd string defensive line and backup LBs with an inexperienced position coach coordinating.

That Army game never happened. People keep saying we played a bowl game with Army and some :apple: was our coach. I take medication and it affects my memory but I swear we would never play a game like that

5 Likes

Wait who are you comparing that too?

The previous HCs of WV. Since 1991, when they joined the BE, there have been four head coaches, now five with Holgorsen’s departure. He ranks last in win percentage amongst those four. All time, he is 16th in win percentage.

You can’t compare coaches who were there 2 to 3 years vs someone who has been there much longer. Rich Rodriguez had a higher winning percentage and he was playing in weaker conference.

1 Like

Yes… you can. And not only can you, you should. There is no reason to exclude a coach for being there at least a cycle. All of their modern coaches have been there for at least one recruiting cycle if not two. Additionally, Miami and VT were BE powerhouses. The BE was regularly in the national championship discussion in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Twist it however you want, but plenty of coaches have had more success at WV than Holgorsen.

The shortest tenured coach in that span was Bill Stewart at four years. Rich Rod was there seven years. Nehlen coached eight years in the BE.

You can, but you shouldn’t !

1 Like

Cauthen made a calculated gamble of dropping his LBers back and filling the lanes. That only left 3-4 people to rush. And it paid off nicely for a half. But Leach is a master at bending his passing game to fit the defense. They decided to do more deep sprints and get by the interior D. And it paid off as their QB is very accurate and their receivers are exceptional. I saw high end talent at the skill positions for WSU. The Pirate went out and recruited his guys. And he might just make the Rose Bowl.

2 Likes