Dejon Jarraeu - Next Great UH Star

Yeah, ok derrick come kately…

I agree…however, Rob was probably the most talented guard to dawn a UH jersey…he certainly had his problems off the court, but he could dominate games when he was at the top of his game. Some of his passes were simply unbelievable…and he was a very good long range shooter, something Dejon has yet to show.
No doubt Dejon is improving and plays on a very balanced team, but he still has a ways to go. He seems to be cutting down on his turnovers, so that is also a good thing…

No he can’t shoot like Rob and may never. My comparison was to their floor game. Kelvin repeatedly says we’ve yet to see what Dejon can do. It’s also the gangly look with the skinny legs.

He was not more talented than Birdsong

1 Like

Birdsong and Jarreau are entirely different types of guards, therefore the comparison was to Rob Williams. Birdsong was a great penetrating guard who could stop on a dime and shoot…he rarely was looking to pass because normally he had too good a shot to turn down…Bird was a great guard also, just a different type than Rob…Jarreau, IMO, is more comparable to Rob with a flare for the dramatic and not afraid to dish when a teammate is open…

2 Likes

There weren’t too many if any former Coogs who had as sweet as shot as Birdsong. He was my favorite pure shooter of all the Coogs. Birdsong/Jarreau two totally different players so far from what I’ve seen of DJ at this point in his brief Coog career.

2 Likes

Absolutely correct. No comparison. Birdsong never looked out of control and had one of the sweetest releases I have ever seen. Definition of smooth.

2 Likes

Armoni’s shot in rhythm is a thing of beauty. Glad we get to see it for one more year!

4 Likes

It is amazing to me how much talent we have at guard

Yes I knew that… He had his only bad game (probably in his life) against NC.

hee lukked rill gud 2nite

He is very good and getting better by the game. I just don’t know what he is. Is he a 1?, is he a 2? or is he a 3?.

Maybe in the Sampson model, that is what he wants.

1 Like

I think Jarreau is whatever coach wants him to be…no matter what he brings excitement to the game and instant energy…I can see him and Mills sharing time at the point next year…and I can also see Hinton playing there some if needed…

3 Likes

He gets better as the game goes on. He likes the pressure, you can see it in his play.

1 Like

I agree.

Have you checked out Caleb in the pregames yet?

OB - Smoothest Cougar of them all. He could shoot from downtown, drive and stop for a mid-range jumper, or he could take it all the way to the rim. If I needed one Coog to make a last second shot, I would pick OB. He was never afraid to take a shot under pressure…and he made a whole bunch of them. Had he been on the teams from the late sixties (Elvin Hayes/Don Chaney), the early seventies (Sweet Lou Dunbar, Dwight Jones, Maurice Pressley, etc.), or the PSJ teams, then UH would have won it all over UCLA, NCST, and G’town. OB was that good.

Jarreau - He has God-given ability to bend his body in ways that it should not bend, and he gets the ball to the rim. He has serious skills taking the ball to the hoop in traffic and getting the ball up on the rim. His outside shot has improved throughout the season. I’m not sure if he is a PG, SG, SF, or a combo, but I do know that he is fearless when taking the ball to the hoop. His overall floor game, tempo, and dropping off assists are getting better and better with each game. I’m glad that he is a UH Cougar!

Go Coogs. Peace.

4 Likes

He is Benny Anders. Weirdly athletic but looks like shouldn’t be.

2 Likes

Iceman George Gervin. Needs the finger roll.

4 Likes

Let’s just hope he doesn’t disappear :sunglasses:

1 Like

Lot of our fans don’t realize what a 3-point threat Gorham is going to be I’m expecting our team 3-point % will be higher next season

2 Likes