Don’t Hold Your Breath On Realignment To Save Your Team

The better teams we field the more their playoffs become irrelevant. That’s how we get in.

It feels to me like the next round of “expansion” is going to not-so-secretly be about dropping dead weight, not adding new schools. I think in order to make it in, we’d need to be head-and-shoulders above the schools that are going to be left out. Basically, above the median Big 12 or ACC school. We can’t be satisfied with outdrawing Kansas in football and Miami in basketball; we gotta be able to outdraw a school like Oklahoma State or NC State in everything. Those are going to be the “bubble” teams we’re competing with.

1 Like

So, you freeze out schools and they get 10% of the college football money, and then blame the same schools for not “bringing enough to the table” :triumph:

ESPN will tell them who to add which is likely us and some other top G5’s. ESPN knows once in , we can grow the market for the Acc, pac12 and big10. For now ESPN just wants us in the Acc. The big 10 might call then espn or fox grows the market. We all know and they know that if y put most any team in a major conf, they will prosper

I do not see conferences kicking out members. If any would, it would be the B12 which is really run by the cabal of UT and OU who care nothing about the well being of their fellow conference members.

Interesting. While I agree that ESPN has most likely been, and will be, calling the shots on college football, I’ve never heard specific interest by the ACC in UH or of ESPN dictating to the ACC. Wasn’t ESPN behind the poaching for Rutgers and Maryland? Then the ACC presidents got together and as I seem to recall signed their GOR. Don’t misunderstand, I would delighted to get an invite from the ACC.

From who?

No, the Big 10 added those schools to expand in-state cable subscriptions for the Big 10 network, which is a joint venture with Fox.

Trick question? And it’s, “From whom?”

Who or whom, the comment up thread that the ACC is interested in UH is unfounded.

Let’s dominate the AAC and quit worrying about things we have no control over!

5 Likes

To be fair, those of us on this board have no control over dominating the AAC either. Talking about this kind of stuff is what message boards are for… especially in times like now when there is no sports to talk about.

3 Likes

So do you have the answer from either who or whom?

No. That wasn’t directed at you, Dallas. I don’t know why the board copied your name twice instead of yours and Gadfly’s.

I was being sarcastic. You said you’ve not heard . . . and

Gadfly, who is a know-it-all and has a bit of a superiority complex, responds with, “From who?” So he’s asking you to prove the negative. That’s funny to me.

And because Gadfly is full of himself, I added the whom/who correction.

Not much else going on here these days–trying to lighten the load.

BTW, I have no idea what’s going on in the expansion/realignment. Never have. But I know nobody else really does, so that’s why I respond to people at times–just to point out they don’t know anything, either.

1 Like

You mean Dreaming about this kind of stuff. We are not going to be P5 anytime soon . But dream on. And btw if I am somehow wrong I would be very happy

Nobody’s gonna kick anybody out, per se, but I think there’s a good chance a lot of schools get left behind. Think of the SWC -> Big XII transition.

I think this might be more likely than adding a few more schools to the big money conferences IF there is another major reorganization. I could easily see several of the bigger name schools dropping the NCAA to form their own division of college athletics if they think they have maximized their earning potential with the current system. If this happens, I think their greed destroys college athletics as we know it.

I do think it will fail though after they do it. Big name teams will start to lose more if they do not have their UAB, E Carolina, Utah St, etc… to pad their win/loss stats. It will become another minor league system of which none have survived.

I think the teams left out will go back to college athletics and rooting for your school. Just with less money. Not necessarily a bad thing IMO.

No problem, Mike. My grandson attends Wake Forest and is a die-hard UH fan (like grandfather, like grandson) and truly believes UH would make a lot of sense for the ACC. He does analytics for their baseball team (and some MLB stuff) and insists Houston would be a win-win for the conference and UH. Of course, as a biased party of two, we agree. I was hoping maybe you had some inside information that we were seriously being considered. Thanks.

1 Like

I’m a know it all because I know what I’m talking about.

gad·fly

/ˈɡadˌflī/

noun

1. a fly that bites livestock, especially a horsefly, warble fly, or botfly.

** * an annoying person, especially one who provokes others into action by criticism.**

"always a gadfly, he attacked intellectual orthodoxies"

Impressed by his self-awareness

1 Like

its all about being BEHIND everyone else in P5 , which the PAC 12 is, in every respect…their presidents have been advised to expand into the central time zone when next opportunity comes in 2024…I think they are likely going to try to do something about it…
QUIT talking about the big 12…That is not where we want to go…We are willing to do whatever we have to, financially, to make it happen with PAC 12, and we have already met their facilities criteria with all our recent building…You think its a coincidence, all the PAC 12 schools we are playing in FB and BB? It isnt…This relationship has been cultivated and building for years…

5 Likes