Dr Simms suing UH

Not everybody, no.

Don’t think it’s a stretch to say this guy is.

1 Like

I am pretty sure that most schools have their next guy in mind when they fire a coach. When the whorns took LTH, I don’t remember hearing of a search and interviewing minority candidates. No, I’m pretty sure the deal was done before LTH resigned.

What is the point of doing an interview when the successor has already been selected weeks, or months, prior.

5 Likes

Of course you are correct.

The purpose of this person’s diatribe was grandstanding…and nothing else !!

8 Likes

I love that clip of Fertitta giving this guy the smack down.

Colorblind process, we go after who we want regardless of color.

5 Likes

There is no Ridiculous Rooney Rule like the NFL has and I hope the NCAA never puts one in place.

3 Likes

Hopefully UH doesn’t pay this attention whore schmuck a single cent to just go away.

3 Likes

Yep he and wife are Native I believe. Great people and how about that Masey (sp?) ,the granddaughter ?

2 Likes

Very entertaining read. Better than the Sunday comics.

I say pay the man what he’s deserved…a swift kick in the @$$!

I’m no lawyer, but reading between the lines I’d say Dr Simms prepared this lawsuit himself. Whoever wrote this is not a lawyer… Or if he is, he shouldn’t be. Good for a laugh though.

10 Likes

This guy is a complete clown. I’m not sure what degree he got to be classified as a doctor, but he definitely needs to lose that title.

First of all, I have visited numerous universities through friends, families, etc. and I honestly don’t think I’ve ever been to a more diverse university than ours. Furthermore with that diversity, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a larger group of hard-working people that mesh together because of their ethics and beliefs.

Second of all, this clown is making all these outrageous claims but there’s one thing that he is forgetting. He hast to actually prove all of his claims. He hast to prove both that we didn’t interview certain people and he has to prove that there were African-American coaches that were available and more qualified. On all accounts, it will be completely impossible and completely subjective.

6 Likes

Sampson is a member of the Lumbee tribe.

Lumbee - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Thanks…I was worried about perhaps misstating Lahontan, as well as getting the wrong area of the country (perhaps Washington state, not Carolinas)…
I woke up at 3, not wanting to step on toes…

1 Like

If you read the complaint it has the name of his lawyer at the bottom. Debra Jennings.

Monceaux is right that it’s a typo-filled mess and doesn’t really seem to articulate much of a claim based on any sort of violation of employment law.

I guess we’ll see, but I’m not sure what the end game really is here. This seems kind of like a shakedown and maybe the threat of discovery (if this isn’t thrown out before then; very, very big if) is there to persuade UH to pay just to make this go away. But obviously UH isn’t going to want to encourage future suits like this with a settlement and all the communications related to the search should be open to FOIA requests anyways.

Whether there’s discrimination in coaching searches and promotions is a complicated question better left off this board. Maybe he’s trying to do what he thinks is right in that respect. But he might seriously have some sort of issues if he legitimately thinks he is “clearly more qualified” for the position of University of Houston Head Football Coach than Dana. It’s hard to imagine any advancement of a social justice cause with a claim so ludicrous.

7 Likes

I happen to be a retired oil and gas attorney (UH 87) and I know several of the attorneys who contribute to the conversations on this board.
I know I speak for all of us, when I tell you that just because you are an attorney, this fact doesn’t qualify you as “smart”… trust me when I tell you that there are plenty of attorneys out there who are complete and utter Morons…

14 Likes

Quote: I know I speak for all of us, when I tell you that just because you are an attorney, this fact doesn’t qualify you as “smart”…

Unless you graduated from UH Law Center.

In that case, we KNOW you’re “smart!”

:wink:

:yum:

8 Likes

The Lahontan are definitely NOT a federally recognized Native American Group.

For that matter, neither are the Lumbee, HOWEVER, the Lumbee are at least recognized by the State of North Carolina.

2 Likes

Anyone who had practiced law, particularly if you were with a small firm, knows you will have some folks who are a few bubbles off plumb, has had folks come to them with outrageous claims they want to pursue. Sometimes they have money and are willing to pay you if you will pursue their “grievance.” Sometimes because they don’t want to spend their treasure on a hopeless cause will agree to pay you to help draft the complaint with the intention they will then proceed pro se. These people are more an aggravation and nuisance than anything else. If I were advising I would say fight this with every resource we have. Be like Big Jake. Anyone who is familiar with that movie knows what I mean.

3 Likes

What about counter suit

1 Like

I thought it took longer than 3 days or whatever to hire cdh?

1 Like

Tillman smacked that chump…Classless bringing up this during the press conference!

4 Likes

Well it probably means we hired a good coach. If this is history repeating itself I remember coach Sumlin going through a interruption in his press conference and then going on to have some great seasons here.