Expansion of AAC and Playoff

Living in Houston for almost 20 years I’d love to see BYU join AAC. I’ve not seen the advantage over INDY with the current system. Now that there may be a autobid I think BYU would be wise to join the AAC. Not the MWC. While BYU would compete in MWC year in and out with Boise for the championship I don’t believe they would be ranked higher than the AAC in typical years. There’s so much more depth here.

That being said I’d love to see the AAC expand and take the best of MWC and BYU. There reality is BYU I think could compete on and off for the championship but it wouldn’t be the dominate team but rather I’d see them finished 3-4th most years.

Now that I’ve said that I’m not sure the AAC should expand. Maybe if the dollars are better for the conference but I’m not sure adding another team to compete for the autobid is smart.

So there’s my thoughts as a Coug in Coog country

3 Likes

I think we’re ok as is with 11 bc no divisions and I’m sure our top 4 teams will be in the mix for the playoffs.

I hope BYU joins the AAC. I would love to play them every year.

I tend to agree

Isn’t 11 temporary?

Interesting. The BYU fans I know and have spoken with were happy not making an NY6 bowl (under the current system) and keeping their ability to play regional matchups and schedule P5s. Now that actual playoff spots are feasible, I wonder if that would change their minds as to joining a conference or not.
ND signed off on the proposed 12 team playoff because, as I understood, they think they’re pretty much guaranteed one of the at-large spots without having to go through conference competition. Of course, they’re a Power school and play a power schedule.
I was curious as to whether BYU would take the same approach or join a conference. Following ND’s model, BYU would have to schedule and win a power heavy schedule, if they can get those games. The problem I have observed is that the power schools are scheduled at the front end of the season, then the competition drops off at the end. I think that the stakes being higher with a playoff spot, either BYU schedules power schools later in the season (I think that was the plan this past season but Covid killed it) or joins the strongest non-power conference it can, as you have pointed out, would be the AAC. Add Boise St, then the AAC is approaching power-level competition.
Having said all that, I think BYU would be gambling trying to schedule power schools, especially if they are competitive. Adding BYU and Boise St would be awesome for the AAC imo…rising tide lifts all ships

1 Like

The problem with being an independent and banking on playing a P5 power schedule is that when you get good enough to compete for the CFP, they won’t play you anymore. P5 powers want tune ups, not real competition that would put a loss on their resume come selection time. When we were 2-9 and 0-11, everyone wanted us, when we started getting good, not so much.

5 Likes

Byu just needs to join a conf. They aren’t nor ever will be ND.

3 Likes

Well the 12 team playoff proposal changes things. There is talk that P5s may do away with divisions to ensure their 2 top teams are in the conference championship game. They would hate for an 8-4 division winner to upset the 10-2 team in the conference championship game. That conference champ may not make the playoffs ensuring 2 G5 conference champs are in.

Stay tooned in . . .

Big, big chances coming!

The AAC is becoming powerful. And richer.

1 Like

As of right now the AAC has to get a waiver to have a conference championship. The rule is you either have to play a round robin (XII) or split into two divisions (Sun Belt).

An undefeated or one loss BYU team will make the playoffs with how they are currently scheduling (~5 P5 teams, Boise St, 2 AAC teams).

If they join the AAC they not only don’t get to play as many P5 teams, they also won’t be able to play their (almost) annual games with Utah/Boise St/Utah St.

I wouldn’t say richer. I would say we’re not making minimum wage anymore.

1 Like

The problem TexOHCoog - is that BYU won’t go undefeated or have only loss with their current scheduling approach.

BYU has averaged 5.2 losses per year since being independent.

GOOD LUCK WITH INDEPENDENCE!

BYU needs to join the AAC as soon as possible.

1 Like

I don’t think being in the AAC is altogether that much weaker of a schedule than what they are currently playing. They would have to go undefeated or have one loss in the AAC too.

Why give what they have up when their odds of making the playoffs don’t increase a ton?

Because a 10-2 AAC Champ may still make the playoff by being the 6th highest ranked conference champion.

A 10-2 BYU has ZERO SHOT at the playoff.

4 Likes

CFP committee need to come up with a formula for strength of schedule. Teams shouldnt just be automatically ranked higher because they are in a P5 conference. This needs complete overhaul.

Sure there is a very slim chance that a 2 loss AAC team makes the playoffs. I still don’t think that that small increase in chance (seriously its pretty slim) outweighs all of the perks that being independent has for BYU.

Wait til the ink’s dry.

1 Like

Where does it say in this cartel proposal that the AAC is the sixth rated conference?
It does not.
This proposal is purposely designed for the cartel to pick who ever they want and to keep as much money as they want.

2 Likes