Expansion of AAC and Playoff

Chris we have a shot though. This is the best position we have been in since the late 80s early 90s. That is 30 years.

I like the AAC and now we have a path to the playoffs.

Now lets win some games.

3 Likes

A man of “learned opinion.”

These rats will give us a fair shot when we rip the cold, hard bills from their ratty, little teeth.

2 Likes

We were given a shot in basketball so there is precedent.

In fact 50% of this year’s Final Four was non Power 5 programs.

Let’s see what happens in football.

1 Like

Also, I can see a scenario to get TWO AAC squads in.

Say the AAC adds BYU and we have TWO teams (UH, UC, UCF, BYU, UM) run through non conference play vs P5 programs undefeated. Then, one team is undefeated in conference play and the other only has one loss to that undefeated AAC conference mate

Both would be top ten teams all season and the one that loses would be losing to a top 6 team. Both could get in.

1 Like

The NCAA tournament is buttressed by a long, historical precedent.

If the system collapsed tomorrow it would be replaced by a screwed up orgy of ESPN money where four or five conferences get to play double elimination until a champion is decided.

Also, those non-conference P5s need to be ranked top 5 in the last CFP poll of the year.

It doesn’t say that we’re the sixth, just as it doesn’t say that the P5 are the top five. Some years we won’t be the sixth conference champion.

But as an independent BYU will definitely not be the sixth conference champion any year. It’s right there in the word “independent”.

I don’t know if it’ll be enough to get them to take the leap, but by far the easiest path for BYU into the playoffs is as a member of the AAC or MWC.

1 Like

The Pac seems to be self destructing. The AAC on the field may soon be noticably better than the P12 to casual fans.

I’ve become a skeptic of the system. CFB seems to like making changes and pretending there is fair access, but they also love to move the goal posts.

I’m interested in seeing how things develop. I’d like to see the devil in the details before worrying about playoff access.

Also, I don’t think BYU is ever getting a P5 invite. If a few AAC schools get the “P5 promotion” staying Independent would have been better for BYU.

BYU joining the AAC seems realistic to me for both sides though. CFB offseasons are always entertaining lol.

6 Likes

I don’t think there are huge issues with current strength of schedule rankings, they have helped the AAC prove to be the strongest of the G5. The P5 conferences just win most of their games against the G5 and are careful about scheduling to boost their conference up. The Big 12 usually only has each team play 1 G5. Most years they go 9-1 or 8-2. It creates a huge difference in conference ratings and I don’t know how that could be changed much. Only thing I could think of is factor in home field advantage more to penalize those teams that never play G5s on the road.

Our teams (AAC) lose to crappy OOC schools too, though. That really kills us.

Really why and why some of you think/believe the cfp cartel will make a decision based on true sports evaluation?
When did the bcs and cfp cartel ever do it?
NEVER
What did the bcs and cfp teach you?
Are some of you denying reality?
You are still denying that the cartel exists?
I understand about not believing in UFO’s but not believing in the cfp cartel?

Just wait and see what ACTUALLY comes out of the media expansion blitz created by the…CARTEL.

1 Like

Was this meant for me? I have no idea what all this is and which of your sentences with question marks are actually questions. If you are arguing the cartel controls strength of schedule, they do not. There are multiple sources of that and many computers that rank teams. The P5 conferences do understand the metrics though and put together schedules to boost their conference. If the Big 12 goes 8-2 and the SEC goes 16-3 against the G5, I don’t know how to spin it and weaken their strength of schedule when they play each other.

The cartel/cfp exists or not? Yes this is directed at you and others that are in denial.

Its simple capitalism, so yes. More money comes from the P5 programs so they get more love from networks and the committee. What does that have to do with strength of schedule? Are you arguing that it is set up to make the P5 look better? And which ones and which parts? I want specifics or another post is not helpful, it gets quite annoying to just hear the same complaints over and over without specific things that need to be changed. Cincinnati in 2019 lost by like 50 to Ohio St, were they just getting “hated on” by the cartel when their ranking fell?

Here is a good example for you:
Utah 2008 season and their ranking.

Notice Utah’s ranking during the season.
Notice where the final Harris and BCS rankings are?
Nowhere to be found. What does this tell you?

Utah played who they had on their schedule. They beat everybody but still did not get their deserved ranking.
Boise St is another example. The Boise St. example is better since P5’s REFUSED to play them for fear of losing. The same happened to UCF. We have an FBS Div I or not? The creation of the P5 was to create a cartel. They got what they wanted.

1 Like

In 2008 a 12 team playoff would have included Utah, Boise St, TCU, and Cincinnati using the AP, Coaches, Harris, or BCS ranking (factors in SOS). 4 teams not in the current P5 at the time. Great example of how awesome the new system will be.

The BCS and Harris never put out rankings after bowl games so that is your answer to those two questions. You notice Utah was ranked higher by the BCS because that factored in strength of schedule and computer rankings. I was here talking about strength of schedule and how it is not really biased. You have no input on that and posted something that proved it is at minimum less biased than humans. I guess we are done here.

Did the BCS include Utah?
No.
You are right we are done here.

1 Like

Correct but did they play in the final?
Orin Hatch push to get Utah into a P5 speaks volume for your argument.

The bias is not based on facts…its rationalized using them. The system will always be rigged as its leveraged today.

To say this or that will happen if 12 teams are in the playoffs is like saying if we just expand the waterfront we’ll get this much turf…and the Gambino crime family will have enough to keep them happy.

Crime doesn’t work that way.

1 Like

Whatever ranking system they use will almost certainly continue to spot the P5 programs at least 1-2 wins over us^.

I don’t think anyone here is suggesting otherwise. The importance of the autobids (whether Top Six or P5+1) is that it can’t be used to keep us out entirely, which would be real progress.

^ The flip side they’ll also probably spot us 1-2 wins over CUSA/MAC/SBC.

3 Likes