Expansion of AAC and Playoff

Too bad their qb didn’t bring a Sugar Bowl to UH when he was here.

Basketball is an NCAA event.

Football…not so much !

I like your comments.
I would eventually like to see BYU and Boise in the conference.
It’s nice to have people post who care passionately about their teams without putting others down.

2 Likes

The expansion of CFP to twelve teams will have significant ramifications for G5 conference membership. Either the AAC kneecaps MWC or vice versa, but neither conference will continue to exist as currently constituted.

3 Likes

I would love to see BYU, but don’t see the true benefits to them.

Boise St. on the other hand doesn’t bring all that much imo. I wouldn’t add them unless our waiver to stay at 11 for a ccg is denied.

Adding BYU or Boise State does make competition harder within the AAC but there will be some long term monetary benefits.

If the CFP base payout for each top 6 conference champ is $67M as it is today for the P5s, that is guaranteed money for the top G5 conference champ. It also increases about $1M each year. With the 11 teams we have now, we are talking about $6M per AAC school in addition to the ESPN payout.

Adding BYU and/or Boise State would elevate the AAC to being the absolute top G5 in the minds of everyone including the selection committee. That means every year our conference champ will be in the playoffs and we will get that CFP base payout every year. Of course we will have to know the new CFP payout structure.

I do agree with Aresco going after Boise State. It weakens our next best competitor and makes the AAC stronger. It’s all strategic to make the AAC as close to P6 or Autonomy 6 as possible.

2 Likes

We might take a pause and consider what the MWC could add to make their conference stronger. Again only the cartel/cfp will impose on us which G5 conference is best.

That money is not for being in the playoffs but for being P5. We will not get that. What we will get is the $6m participation payment and that is the money that will be split 11 ways.

Correct. That money is only for the P5s today but we do not know what the new payout distribution will be with the 12 team playoff. There has to be some significant monetary advantage to be the top 6 conference champs. If not, they should have just said top 12 and left the conference champ part out.

I don’t see how they will not pay us the 67mil if we have a team in bc now there are no auto bids and there could be lawsuits if the g5 conf doesn’t get the same.

The playoff is a completely different animal than P5

I also hope the p5 tag goes away bc now the major conferences have auto bids which is privilege and they get something the G5’s don’t by virtue of being a stronger conf. If no auto bids are there, we have more equality and it’s fairer, so the p5 notion should go away.

1 Like

I doubt if there will be lawsuits since G5 commissioners will be involved in setting up the payout structure and agreeing with it.

Not a lot of good candidates. BYU is all that I can think of and I don’t think they go for it. I believe the school they are most interested in besides BYU is us.

Did you have someone in mind?

They are not worthy of an invite but UNLV offers a tremendous travel destination and probable access to the Bowl Game at the new Pro Stadium.

Under the current TV deal with ESPN, the College Football Playoff makes $470 million per year for a total of seven games (four rotating access bowls, two semifinal games and the national championship). The proposed new structure would mean 11 games — but all would be in a bracketed playoff instead of just four, as is the case today. ESPN and FOX also have deals to televise conference championship games that now take on additional importance — and financial significance — since some of them virtually guarantee a trip to the playoffs.

USA Today recently published an estimate from Navigate that says the value of this expanded College Football Playoff could be worth as much as $2 billion annually.

If $2B is going to be the actual earnings from the 12 team playoff, there is no way the CFP could not do a fair-er payout. My example is:

• $100M for each top 6 conference champions which is $600M
  • $30M for each 6 at large teams which is $180M
  • Maybe each semifinal team gets $50M each

If this article is correct and the earnings from the CFP playoffs is about $2B, the numbers I estimated could become actually figures. We shall see.

It’s all about money and if the SEC agreed to a 12 team playoff, there has to be lots of money involved.
$$$

1 Like

I’m curious about the TV deal implications. Our conference just became more valuable and we are in a long-term TV contract. In fact, depending on where things go from here, the MWC (who is also more valuable) may have a better TV deal than us in a few years.

I’m sure there is a clause to renegotiate if we get P5 status, but I don’t think this would trigger that.

I’m not sure how TV deals are setup but it seems like the P5s have a base payout then every year it increases. If we are more valuable, I assume the $7M will increase somewhat year over year.

Boise would definitely benefit the conference. They would immediately elevate the SOS, easily cover their slice of the pie with sellouts and TV ratings, and strengthen the conference overall. Hell, if BYU and Boise came over you could really make a legitimate claim to p6. Boise would play and beat their share of OOC p5 opponents too.

The reason I don’t think BYU can come over is what they give up in notoriety in scheduling. I think they like promoting their mission via high profile engagements.

The advantage of Boise St and say SDSU coming over it would decimate the MWC which is our greatest G5 conference rival. Then the gap between other G5’s and the AAC would be far greater.

1 Like