Expectations for next year

I think NT will be fine. We’ll have Olivier Charles-Pierre and Jamykal Neal back, and both should be better after a year in the program. The kid from Katy ought to be serviceable in a pinch. But I do agree that DT is a potential problem, really the only position where we won’t have at least two experienced players. Right now Willie Smith, who could be really good if he could get up to 280ish, and Atlias Bell are the returnees. We’re in pretty good shape with this guy https://247sports.com/Player/Sedrick-Williams-46080328/
We may also consider moving one of the DEs/BANDITs inside. There’s a glut there with Anoma, Turner, Parish, Hall, Anenih, Payne, Duke, and Caesar. Hall or Payne would seem the most likely candidates. But, yeah, that’s a position we need to shore up.

1 Like

Agreed 100%. I think 2-2 is likely.

Depends on if Norvell stays at Memphis, Navy made a great DC hire, SMU may go heavy in transfers again and Buechele is back, and finally, Cincy is still young at a lot of positions.

How all those things shake out, I would say 2-2 is possible, but would be a stretch. Playing at Cincy and Navy… losses.

Again, this depends on who USF hires, and does Heupel continue the slide to average. I would say hopefully 3-1, depending upon USF. More than likely 2-2.

That would mean I see 6-6 to 8-4 as being likely to probably. Above 8-4 will be above expectations. I would say 6-6 or below, and everyone here should be as concerned as I was during this season.

1 Like

Our secondary is going from very weak and no depth to very talented with a lot of depth.

LBs are going to be really good if Anoma lives up to the hype along with who we have returning. This area has a chance to make a 180 as well.

The dl I think has improved throughout this season and I like what we have on the frontline, but we do need to add some depth in the middle. We have a couple big boys who got a lot of experience this season and another unproven waiting. If we can add a couple more big guys to the interior trenches I think the defense is going to be set up real well. I am hoping PeytonTurner will be playing on Sundays in another year.

On the other side just fill out the OL and add an explosive WR.

1 Like

9-3 … I feel it

8-9 wins.Improvement in the win column is going to come from OL and defensive improvement. Not worried about skill players on offense at all.

O line

https://ph.sellprice.co/ph/1050/products/p/1/what-to-expect-the-second-year-from-12-to-24-months-0654-93392515-73aca3154846cab52a14185097a16bf2-product.jpg

:bomb:

7 Likes

UCF gets Milton back too if he has recovered from that nasty injury, right? That’s another UCF wildcard. 3-1 in OOC would not surprise me since BYU is not coming off a good year either and they usually field a team of NFL age players. Winning the West is a lower probability.

BYU plays a fairly tough schedule typically, and in Provo… BYU has a serious advantage.

1 Like

No one should be scared of BYU or WSU if they truly think we can be good. Not saying we shouldn’t respect them but both very beatable no matter where the game is played.

3 Likes

I’m concerned about our schedule. It’s going to be rough.

No one is scared, but I am not confident in this staff pulling off two road wins against quality opponents.

UCF sliding back? They’re 9-3 and their three losses are by a total of 7 points. If they had Milton they would be undefeated again.
The AAC could have 5 10 win teams if some of these go out and win their bowl games.

We don’t know if Milton will be Milton.

1 Like

True but their best win is against Florida Atlantic so I’m not sure how good they are.
https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1380&s=308075

1 Like

I just think it is funny for every season since Briles came on board people have always chalked up losses to any teams with names. We have quite a few OOC wins since that time over named teams and much better than these two.
I don’t care to get into the predicting game just preferring to watch it develop and see how we match up.

1 Like

Washington State is a potential powerhouse.

Washington St is 6-6 and not a powerhouse

3 Likes

There were 4-5 games this year that we lost that I felt we could have won if a few plays went our way. We also could have won those games if our defense had more talent and depth since we faltered late in them. If CDH achieves the talent development and infusion he claims he will this offseason, then it is very much possible we win 8 to 9 games next season. Could be more if King does return.

2 Likes

Intrigued that you have UNT as a probable win and not a sure win.
Tulsa had the same record with a much tougher schedule.
They’re losing their best QB in school history and we still dominated them
They lost to Rice.

Maybe new OC and DC changes things. Interesting that Herman is considered desperate for changing both coordinators but Litrell is not