Finally Happened: My son is a Coog

His first question:

Chemical or Petroleum Engineering?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

20 Likes

ChemE, do undergrad research, and complete projects in python and R on the side

2 Likes

Either!!! So happy and proud for you and he!!!

No idea on the chemical v petroleum debate but congrats to your son.

2 Likes

As a landman, I’d have to say petroleum engineering as the U.S. is #1 Energy Producer in the world. We are no longer dependent on Middle Eastern oil, and the oil & gas industry is sustainable. Death, Taxes and oil & gas are inevitable.

Currently Texas has more than half of the nation’s total rig count. The Permian accounts for 60% of the oil-drilling rigs in the country.

5 Likes

My daughter and her husband both got PETEs in 2015 at A$M. He went on to get a masters in 2017. Great starting salaries, but the industry is very cyclical. Despite stellar grades and internships, post-graduation neither was able to get a job in industry and both now work for Big 4 consulting. Having been through 4 major O&G cycles in my career, I’d recommend ChemE. Demand is steadier over time and their skills translate somewhat easier to other industries. That said, I personally would find O&G work more satisfying. Good luck to your son - good options to have.

2 Likes

Accounting & Finance…:grin:

Congrats to you and your son!

2 Likes

I was a ChemE and for a time I would have said Petroleum over Chem, but now I say Chem!

As a general industry, O&G is hyper-cyclical now and probably will continue to be in the near term horizon. ChemE is probably more stable as it naturally feeds to downstream O&G and also can feed into other industries.

Also, I know ChemE folks who became field engineers in O&G upon graduation. If O&G is booming when he graduates, upstream O&G may still be available as a career path with a ChemE degree.

That said, I’m not super familiar with hiring of engineers for either, so take this with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

I was a CHEME major for three years. Had three internships (Exxon and Shell) despite just a 3.0 GPA. Our program is smaller than UT and A&M but smaller classes and undergrad research. Great program.

There are a whole lot more job opportunities in Chemical Engineering. The process industries (petrochemical) is based on the ChemE. That takes in plastics, chemicals, refining, and others. All others, EE, Control Systems, mechanical, piping, and even civil is dictated by the process developed by ChemE’s.

I sent my career in the petrochem engineering and construction industry. It all starts with the P&ID’s (Piping and Instrument Diagrams) which are created by the process engineer which is a ChemE. They are embellished for controls by the Controls systems engineers.

There are other areas besides petrochem that also provide opportunities for ChemE’s. The petroleum engineering route is limited and is up and down.

BTW, I was in electrical, not ChemE, so I’m not biased because it was my role.

2 Likes

Congrats on your son’s decision. Two of my 3 sons attended U of H. Nice to always have someone handy to discuss Cougar sports.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the great information. I’ll pass it on.

I graduated in 1990 with a degree in Finance but never held a job in the field. After the Navy I have only been in manufacturing. Should have studied engineering.

Go Coogs!!

2 Likes

I am a ME . My wife is a Chem E . I watched her go through her studies . Very demanding program at UH. ChemE does not cycle up and down as does Petro.
Congratulations on your son’s acceptance.

1 Like

The ChemE program was the highest rated engineering program when I was at Cullen. They also had their classes at the main campus, while petroleum had courses at the Energy Research Park down the road.

2 Likes

What in the hell does this have to do with football? Just kidding, I just wanted to be that guy. Congrats on having a footstep follower!

4 Likes

Really LOLn!!!

Completely agree with learning a programming language! A must have.

2 Likes

I used to work in the chemical field with an undergrad in ME; and my wife is still in that industry. So between the two of us we have seen multiple up and down cycles. I now do patent law and most of our clients are companies who are oil and gas production. That business also experiences cycles. From my experience it seems like the chemical cycles are shorter but more frequent. Would appreciate feedback from others with different observations.

Irrespective of the cycles, I believe a chemical engineering degree can provide broader opportunities than a petroleum engineering degree. Like the others have posted, either degree is going to require a ton of work and his full attention. Thus I would recommend not working while in school; but strongly suggest co-op/internships or whatever they call it these days.

Oh, and congratulations and good luck.

Need to become pipeline welders or ROV operators!
Just joking. Key study hard & get the degree & be open to where the journey takes you.