First-half grades for first-year coaches

Exactly. He can’t leave until he graduates which is supposed to happen in December.

If he’s still here in the spring, you can argue that he’s staying. He has no choice but stay right now.

The problem was the lack of maturity due to lack redshirting and lack of talent because of the three transitional classes on this team. He made the only right decision to start redshirting everyone.

2 Likes

So his Dad let the cat out of the bag(maybe). I have a problem with this. If he is going to be around here he needs to commit and be held accountable.

2 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

Maybe because if he had just called it quits and transferred immediately maybe he would have had to redshirt anyways? He cannot play next years as a grad transfer unless he gets his degree…

I’ll ask the question for maybe the ninth time. Who, of the available coaching candidates, would have us with a better record?

1 Like

And you know that, how?

In 4 games, King was 1-3 beating only PVAM. Maybe he called in King and told him he was going to start Tune the next week and gave King all his options, of which one was to RS. King was not getting the job done and couldn’t hit the long passes which are a necessary component. (Notice I said maybe because, like you, I don’t know either.) BTW, I put absolutely no stock in anything Justin Murphy has said.

1 Like

Players, and now, former players. Holgorsen approached multiple true Seniors and Juniors about redshirting the season. Some accepted the offer.

1 Like

Lol. UT has been redshirting people up and down the line for years.

I agreed. CDH needs to do better.

1 Like

Enough with these articles. First half grades are meaningless. Furthermore this garbage article does not take in consideration what CDH was left with. This so called writer represents what the media is today. Grab your attention with fake news.
How in the world did ohio state get an A? Captain obvious. Please stop posting garbage.

1 Like

I’d give Holgorsen an F- if there were such a thing.

1 Like

it is very tough sometimes to take over players from “soft” coaches. They usually let players play regardless of their effort in practice.
Player development is ALL about effort. If they think the are so talented that they cannot get better then they are wrong. And maybe they should sit until they understand what it takes to be the best you can be.
People always appreciate the disciplinarian later, but not at the time he is doling it out.

2 Likes

I overall don’t disagree with this premise. But it really only works if the guy you’re sitting for resting on his laurels isn’t easy better than the guy behind him.

Unless you’re acknowledging that this season is lost and building your culture is more important than winning. Because other than that that there is no reason to consistently sit a very talented player for an under talented/undersized “try hard” guy.

What a shame that USA Today will likely soon be dropping their print edition.

I give them a F too.

You cant grade a long term project only a short time in. Even Lincoln said, " Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the ax." Weve seen guys win 8 games and leave a dull ax. I’m pretty sure Dana could have done that. I’d rather see this thing sharpened up. We’ll all know if this is brilliant or poor leadership soon enough. I just think too much is being said by people who have never actually led an organization through change. In change management, if the inherited situation is poor enough, it will get worse before it gets better because it has to be deconstructed before it can be put back together. The question isn’t what kind of grade he should receive for dismantling the program. The question is whether or not he can rebuild.

3 Likes

This is simple.

Let’s make Apple this year’s coach. Anyone think we would be better than 3-4 right now?

And who else should our Administration have hired? I have trouble with names that would have been better.

By the by Coach Yeoman got F’s for 1963, 1964, and the first half of 1965. He even went to Harry Foulk and offered to resign.

Does Herman get an “F” for last night? Beating Kansas 50-48 on a last second Field Goal! Kansas!

1 Like

Yes

Oklahoma, PV, UNT, and UConn games have the same result with either coach. Would King at QB against Cincy have made enough of a difference to win that game? Would King have been enough better in a different system to beat Tulane or WSU? Would the results have been better if some of the notable regulars from previous seasons hadn’t been benched? We’ll never know. I do think it’s safe to say that 3-4 would be the worst record Applewhite would have at this point.
Everybody understands CDH’s contention that he’s sacrificing this season to build the culture and have better long term results. The next question a lot of people ask is what kind of culture are you building if you fold the tents and start playing for next year after four games when you don’t pull off an upset and you suffer a bad loss? This approach will hurt with grad transfers going forward until people are convinced it’s a one time thing.

First year coaches are usually there because the previous coach was horrendous, trying
to judge a coach in one year is silly, maybe 3 maybe 5 years. His system and players are not even
sophomores and most are sitting out from transferring. Let’s be realistic. I think we have a coach
who wants to be here (unlike some others), is passionate for UH, wants to succeed and knows how
to build a program.

3 Likes