Football doing a HORRIBLE job of keeping fans engaged

charlie weiss is a great example

3 Likes

But DK said in a post practice interview that new offense was easier than the old one. I know they haven’t implemented the whole playbook, but I don’t think mistakes are the source of low energy. Major is the HC and even if he isn’t a high energy dude, one would hope that his position coaches and coordinators would be.

If we have low energy HC and position coaches and coordinators, that makes it hard to have energized practices. It then falls on the team leaders and on defense that’s Ed Oliver and he is high energy so I’m comfortable that he can get people revved up. But on offense who is it? It seems to fall naturally on the QB to pick up the O so hopefully DK is up to the challenge.

Do we have a playbook?

1 Like

The Briles offense doesn’t usually have a playbook. They line up in formations and read the defense. Practices are more for repetitions and getting everybody ready to go in those formations.

keeping briles is a must. idc if we have to make him hc and fire Applewhite down the line. briles is our best bet to have a hc stay at UH.

In this case, briles has his dad as an excellent resource to learn. I imagine he has seen his dad be head coach of high schools then universities and learned along the way. And any doubts he has can be answered with a phone call and what father wouldn’t love to give advice to his son?

That may not actually be the case but I have more confidence in that than applewhite being a good coach.

2 Likes

I think we all have a different definition of low energy, or understanding of how that translates to the product on the field. Coaches can literally whisper to a player that made a mistake, how to fix it. Another coach could just be yelling and the mistake not get fixed. Personally, I don’t know the entire staff’s personality type, ,or coaching styles. All I know is the mistakes need to be fixed, weekly; with whispers, yelling, jumping up and down on the sideline…it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

His dad didn’t go undefeated, what makes you think he’ll have all the answers when it comes to running a football team? I think people are getting lolled to sleep by the effectiveness of the Briles’ scheme; they are both human and will make mistakes as well. Very few give CMA credit for the success that Hermie had here, but many are willing to place an OC in his place after 1 year as a head coach? Leading a football team is more than calling plays, you have to manage your time correctly and work on the correct stuff. CMA learned that last year by spending too much time with special teams. Being a head coach is not easy, and all great OC’s are not great head coaches.

2 Likes

Just like his father was? Please. I hope OC Briles is successful here, but I have zero hope that he or any other person will stay a long time at UH as a head coach if successful…

different times back then than it is now. we have new facilties and a stadium to work with now.

This is true, but the narrative is that a G5 can’t make it into the CFP. Both coaches and recruits notice this. I think once it happens at least once (fingers crossed), we’ll be able to retain a coach, and be able to put a fence up around the city. Can you imagine if all the area kids stayed home??? We’d be unstoppable.

2 Likes

The longer we keep Applewhite, the further this program will continue to fall. Do you hear that Tilman and Renu?

2 Likes

They heard it loud and clear with the printing of the actual paid attendance for last season.

Of course.

Because the offense was very poor without Ward. The defense and Ward was why we excelled under Herman

1 Like

That OC had much more success as OC than CMA as OC

1 Like

LMAO,:rofl::rofl::rofl:

please quantify that success and compare the two. I’ll wait. This is getting ridiculous.

2 Likes

Kendall had Baylor ranked as high as #2 in the nation until their qb went down for the season, and they still finished #13 without him for 6 games. How high do you think Herman/CMA finishes 2015 without Ward for 6 games? Do you think we are .500 with Posta starting?

In 2015, Briles had the #1 offense. In a lame duck 2016 season it was #6. At traditional cellar dweller FAU, it was #9 in his 1st season, compared to #72 the year before.

Major? 2006 Rice was #58. 2007 Bama was #75. 2011 at UT #54. 2012 at UT #40. 2013 at UT #66. 2015 at UH #20, only 19 spots behind Briles. 2016 #41 35 spots behind Briles.

All 3 seasons as OC in the top 10 offenses for Briles. Major has 1 of 7 barely in the top 20. 6 of 7 40th or worse.

Is that quantified enough for you?

4 Likes

Let me stop you right there friend, Kendall had who? His offense is responsible for the success of the entire team? That’s not fair to the other coaches, the players on defense, and the head coach, Art Briles.

No credit to Kiffin?

There’s a reason why Saban and Dabo find success after they lose their OC’s, it’s because they are great head coaches. Maybe Kendall was a better OC than CMA (too many variables to be determined), but will that make him a better head coach? I think that point keeps evading you. A great OC does not mean he will be a great head coach. Heck, a great head coach at one destination doesn’t mean they’ll be a great head coach at another. It’s not easy being the man at the top.

1 Like

Briles had a history of success as OC before FAU. Maybe Kiffin contributed, but Briles knows how to run an offense.

Based on CMA’s OC history, you could argue CMA’s best year as OC had a lot to do with Herman’s input. Look how CMA’s UH offense crashed after Herman checked out in 2016 and even worse after Herman left and CMA was solely responsible for the OC and the offense. #61 offense is right in line with the rest of his OC career.

And what proof do you have that CMA is a good or great coach?
His OC and DC hires?
His inability to fit an offense around his QB or find a QB on his roster to run an offense they wouldn’t change?
His inability to get his DC to diversify how they use possibly the best player in the country to increase his impact?

And you’re right, great OCs don’t always make great head coaches. What do you think are the odds of an average at best OC becoming a great head coach?