Football doing a HORRIBLE job of keeping fans engaged

My word! The hyperbole in this thread abounds.

Can we dispense with the CMA is low-energy and it is affecting the program - I saw the practice, CMA is killing the program, CMA will be fired so that Briles can take over, CMA knows if he doesn’t win this year, he is done, CMA is the reason that the marketing sucks, CMA broke up the Beatles, CMA killed Han Solo… on and on and on, ad nauseam. The saddest part is that you all actually believe that crap! You all actually believe it is true.

Every single thing said about CMA in that last paragraph is a complete fabrication based upon zero facts and internet message board self-aggrandizement.

11 Likes

alot of what you said is true…but you mixed in alot of hyperbole with true statements, added a couple crazy ones of your own, and you did all of it just to make sure all of it soundscrazy…

but just to clarify you think its hyperbole that a head coach is incharge of the marketing program of his football team?

1 Like

Maybe Bassity is trying to hide Applewhite’s defensive coaching staff.

Unlike a lot of Coogs I have not taken the sky is falling outlook with Applewhite yet, but I do think the marketing department has been lackluster going into the spring game. The marketing department falls under the Athletic Director. Maybe with all the blowback, they got from the Briles hire, they our keeping things low key on purpose which just a thought. Happy Easter Coogs!

1 Like

You think? Clearly, the blowback from the Briles hire has caused us to keep the offensive transition low key.

1 Like

The problem is we are being held hostage by 247 Sports (CBS). If we are not members of the Premium site, we get nothing. This needs to change!

This,

Former 247 member here. Trust me, Sellers isn’t getting very much either.

R-E-L-A-X

7 Likes

Ok hon

Just a note on the marketing department: 2 of the 5 positions, to include the head of the department, are currently empty due to folks leaving. There have also been others that have left the department after Pezman was hired. Things are changing, more than likely for the better.

I don’t blame our current AD for the current situation as he’s barely been on the job. I blame the last AD, and the one before him, as “customer relations” weren’t exactly a priority for either. We “upgraded” as Tillman said; not it will just take some time.

1 Like

exactly. the media are getting limited time to see the team practice in the spring. it will pick up after the spring game when fall practice begins.

1 Like

I took a Coogfans hiatus for Lent. Good thing that is over because, while away from Coogfans, I had no idea the football program was in such bad shape. If you are on Twitter, you know plenty when the Spring Game is and how they are promoting three things on Saturday. And that it is free. There are no stats or anything like that but I at least feel like I am getting updates.

UH Athletics is always putting out things on Twitter so that is what I rely on for my updates. Maybe they want to keep a low profile on football this Spring after ruffling some feathers with the Briles hire? Just a thought.

I am not as hardcore about football like I used to be. I will come to the games but I never got much from the Spring Game except a sunburn and I remember the #1 RB blowing an ACL in one when he was tackled near the sideline by an eager defender (during Briles era). I won’t be there on Saturday (family conflict) but I already renewed my tickets for next season and looking forward to the Briles’ system.

3 Likes

Hype and preparation are not mutually exclusive. Our best season in recent years culminating in the Peach Bowl win over FSU had plenty of both and a great ringmaster to oversee it all. One does not take away from the other.

If lack of hype is intentional, it has nothing to do with getting the team prepared.

1 Like

Took the words right out of my mouth. People are complaining about the lack of energy(surprised?) during a practice they said they attended; it’s hard to be energetic when you’re constantly making mistakes, because everything is so new. You usually move faster in the second year (see our Defense) and beyond, because expectations then become instinctual. I highly doubt people have witnessed any “low energy”, it’s just the lack of information (hype) is creating unrest. It might actually be CMA’s way of humbling the team; let’s ask ourselves, did the team play like the teams in those hype videos last year? Not very often. Remember when people wanted the OC gone, now Briles is here and expected to fail because the team is not documenting every event on social media? lol

2 Likes

Which post said briles is going to fail?

That’s all you got out of my response? :rofl:

Maybe it wasn’t specifically stated, but is Briles not an extension of CMA? If CMA fails, do you think you could call Briles or CMD successful?

Also:

What makes you think we would want to hire a coach that contributed to another coach’s downfall(hypothetically)?

1 Like

I can honestly say that I am a football fan, and I have never given a flip about media circuses or hype or anything else like that. I want to see the product that hits the field. I’ll talk x’s and o’s until I’m blue in the face, and while I understand why attendance is important, it is boring to me and I just don’t care. This Saturday will be the first spring game I have ever been to, and the sole reason I’m going is to try to get a glimpse of what the Briles offense will look like with our current personnel. I agree with the other posters in this thread that once we start winning, the hype will return. Until then, the team doesn’t really deserve any hype and hype before proof of success will turn more people off than the other way around. Just my opinion though.

7 Likes

No, I’ll clarify my comment to say that, with briles in charge of the offense that the team will do better. Barring any collapse of the defense then we will win games in an exciting style.

When other teams come to poach briles I hope we will buy out applewhite and make briles head coach.

For the sake of argument, why are we assuming that if Briles is a successful OC here he would automatically be a successful HC? If I’ve learned anything in life, just because someone is a successful middle manager does not mean he/she is a shoe-in to be a successful CEO. This is, by no means, a comment about Applewhite. I liked the Applewhite hire and think he deserves a little time to adjust. It’s also not a comment about Kendal Briles. I loved that hire from an x’s and o’s standpoint and agree that our offense will be vastly improved this year. I just think it’s a bit too simplistic of a view to assume a successful coordinator will necessarily be a successful head coach.

1 Like