Fresno State: How we compare

Who says our expectations aren’t higher? Who says CMA and co are happy with the results of this season?

It’s college football. It’s sports. Every team in the world has ups and downs.

Now that the Astros have won a World Series are you telling me they’re exepecting to win the championship every season?

So here are our “Good Years” based on the criteria that an 8 win season is a “Good Year”.

1952: 8-2
1956: 7-2-1
1966: 8-2
1969: 9-2
1970: 8-3
1971: 9-3
1973: 11-1
1974: 8-3-1
1976: 10-2
1978: 11-1
1979: 8-3
1988: 9-3
1989 9-2
1990 10-1
2006: 10-4
2007: 8-5
2008: 8-5
2009: 10-4
2011: 13-1
2013: 8-5
2014: 8-5
2015: 13-1
2016: 9-4
2017: ? either 8-4 or 7-5.

Under Renu Khator’s 10 win criteria, get this, from 1946 - 2005 inclusive UH had THREE 10 win seasons. Only in 2 of those years did UH play less than 10 games. Starting in 2006, UH has FOUR 10 win seasons.

So here is the deal and not just for you, Dan, but for all the guys who think our program is in the tank. By the more than 8 win criteria, Bill Yeoman had 9 “Good Years” out of 14 from 1966 - 1979 inclusive.

Under multiple coaches and systems UH has had 9 “Good Years” out of 11 from 2006 - 2016 inclusive. We have a good shot at making it 10 out of 12 in eight days.

So take your good old days talk elsewhere. UH is in the midst of UNPRECEDENTED SUCCESS IN FOOTBALL!!!

4 Likes

Stats are…

1 Like

Guys, let’s chill on this until Monday morning when I have my Coogfans official game preview published? lol

2 Likes

It kinda surprises me that I have hard time distinguishing the difference between SWC era coog fans to Bear/Aggies/Longhorn fans. As much as you guys hate our old rivals you sure do act like their entitled fans.

2 Likes

How many of those 10 win seasons were in 13 and 14 game seasons? Much harder to do in <12 game seasons

Unprecedented success? How many top 10 seasons vs the 1970s?

3 Likes

And to add to unprecedented success with 10 win seasons… would you rather have 9 wins and finish top 10 or 10 wins and be unranked? Weve done both. I’ll take the former

3 Likes

That you capitalize Bear/Aggies/Longhorns and not Coogs spells out t-shirt fan or troll

The fact that you care about capitalization on a forum post proves you’re entitled.

My expectations are higher and yes, I lived through some great Cougar football, you youngsters need to relax, sheesh. And, btw, I never said that our program was in the tank, so don’t put words in my mouth.

Opinion polls are meaningless. Have been since 1936.

LOL, entitled, you don’t have a clue what the older Coogs went through.

Suffered through a 0-12 season and you’re still a fan. You did your job as a fan. Here’s your pat on the back.

LOL, much more than that big boy.

57 years, Bultokid? LOL! Bet you’re a baby.

This thread is supposed to be about Fresno State and sorry, I don’t see it. I think we’re gonna get beat by a MW team just like last year.

They have a good new coach that has turned that program around in one year. I think we have more talent than they do, but it won’t be enough to overcome Hawaii distractions and a good team that goes there fairly regularly. I hope I’m wrong and CMA calling plays changes everything positively for the O, but I would bet on nope. Again, I really really hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

You got me beat by 3, wish I was still a baby

Now that the Astros have won a World Series are you telling me they’re expecting to win the championship every season?

After hearing about the players they have been signing, I’d say, “yes”, they are expecting to win a championship every season. That is the goal of every sports team, if they are worth spending money and time on . . . . .

I do not agree with your argument. In the seasons prior to 2005, seasons were only 11 or fewer games long From 2006 on, the seasons were considerably longer, 13 or 14 games long. Your argument is “apples and oranges” . . . . . A better argument would be LOSSES instead of WINS . . . . . See how that works out . . . . .

I’m not really buying into the narrative that we will be more distracted than them because they’ve played there before. Playing in a bowl game is a much different animal than playing there in a regular season game. In a typical regular season game, you fly there the night before usually in the late evening, spend the night and the next day (game day) you go through your highly structured game day preparations. You then play the game and usually get on a chartered flight close to immediately after the game. At most you spend one night there with very little to no free time.

A bowl game is completely different. You arrive 4 to 5 days before the game and have lots of free time with mostly fun activities planned. I went to our last Hawaii bowl and believe me, there are plenty of distractions for both teams if you allow it. I just don’t think it’s going to effect them any less than it does us.