Fresno State: How we compare

We also have enough coaches around to supervise the team during bowl week, and the memory of screwing around last year to point to. Last year we had a handful of left behind coaches and a team that was already distracted and took them to Vegas. Now we have some adults and some stability, should be better focused.

1 Like

I’d call 2014 a failure because we lost to UTSA in the TDECU opener and lost to Tulane on homecoming prior to firing our coach. The bowl game was a success though as that was the first decent team we beat all year. Luckily, that helped our team propel itself into the next year.

1 Like

Ugh I forgot about 2014. Definitely a failure capped with a consolation prize that ended up being a real prize.

1 Like

The coach was fired after that season so I’d say it wasn’t good enough.

1 Like

I agree, and that was where I had hoped to go with my long post. There is more to a successful season than the ending record. The Ohio State has fired successful coaches because they couldn’t beat Michigan.

1993-2002 UH was 32-79 or .275 winning percent. That’s a really long bad spell. But starting in 2003, we’re 190-119 or .633. That’s not exceptional but it certainly doesn’t suck. By comparison, for his career, Bill Yeoman won .594. I know, some will argue he faced better competition, but since the 2017 Cougars can’t go back to that era and play those teams, we’ll never know.

We shouldn’t ever get complacent, but we should also appreciate that things are better now than they have been in a long, long time. In a few more years, maybe I’ll say better than ever before.

1 Like

2014 wasn’t good enough but because of what happened in 2014 we got 2015, one of the best seasons in our history.