Gameday Thread: Houston vs. Wichita State - 7pm at Fertitta Center or on CBS Sports Network (W 79-70)

harris had size…

rewatch the game if you can…they were purposely attacking greshmen when he was in…and their big (jaime) was literally walking him to the paint multiple times…to no resistance (from the strength difference)…

there were numerous mistake by numerous players , tons of bad turnovers…i doubt he would sinlge greshsmen out for the majority of the game for 1 offensive foul …and Gresham coincidentally came back when their big fouled out

harris has the size, they tried it with harris and thir big couldnt shoot over him or push him around as easily …

2 Likes

We slipped an lot, WSU didn’t. Need the check those Jordans

7 Likes

Harris played 3 minutes. I’m willing to be $100 right now that if I ask coach during the coach’s show if Gresham was being held out because of his bad pick play (which has been a problem for many of the bigs all season) he will say yes. Take me up on that bet?

He sat Davis out for the first 24 minutes of the Northwestern game for leaving his gym bag on campus and having to go back to get it.

ask him… i dont know about a bet…but you should defintely ask him…

Sampson cares more about defense than offensive fouls on picks…harris played 3 min as a relief for fabian and brady who had 4/5 fouls…

we were down big in a big conference game , with our bigs in bad foul trouble, but you think he’d keep him out for 1 offensive foul on a pick despite sampson viewing him as viable???
this game was a horrible match up for greshman, he couldnt guard either starting big for wichita …sampson cares more about that

thats why dejon played the 4 most of the game…he could guard mcduffie and his shooting ability

1 Like

CKS is old school… and I love it that his guys have bought into it. No one sulks. No one whines. Everyone tries their hardest to get back in the game. These guys really have a team first mentality.

6 Likes

When Harris came in, Brady had two fouls, White had one foul but White need a rest (the most first half minutes he has played the entire year) and we were only down by 5 with less than 5 minutes to go in the first half.

If Harris was a better defender than Gresham, Harris would have played more than 20 minutes over the last 8 games as opposed to Gresham’s 134 minutes in the same amount of time.

My throat is destroyed, on a positive note I only cussed once at the game.

4 Likes

woah woah woah…i never said harris was a better defender than greshmen…i said for this specific games

also, 2 fouls in the 1st 8 minutes of the 1st half is very bad foul trouble…simply stating it was 2, completely removes the context

it had nothing to do with better defense, but simply harris wasnt as easily pushed around , simply from weight

i wish this game was on espn3 so i could show you…but jaime (thier big) was flat out overpowering grehsmen in the paint …it was for this specific game becuase the strength difference was so drastic…

wichita pf is essentially a guard an thier top scorer (greshmen not agile enough to stick with him a full game), and their center is extremely strong…when jaime was fouled out, they put Gresham back in

What about 2 in 10 minutes and 14 seconds? You said White was in foul trouble too. Not only do you make up numbers when you argue but you change your story. Just as stubborn as our old friend Alfred. You don’t even understand that 6’10 245 lbs is just as easy to push around as 6’8 225 lbs but the difference being Gresham is STRONGER than Harris. You like to focus on one thing in an entire thread and dig your heels in to the bitter end. Done with this convo.

We need some sort of tradition started for the student section. They are way to tame during the game.

2 Likes

There are no easy Ws in this conference except maybe Tulane. @ SMU will likely be a dogfight. Not easy to maintain the intensity every game. Coach said the guys need a break.

Wichita St now gets UCF and Cincy at home after opening with Memphis, Temple and UH. The AAC is tough this year.

1 Like

what are you talking about???
what story was changed???
you are way more stubborn than anyone here…i literally said ask Sampson if you could and tell me what he said, i was literally open to being wrong

now you are attacking me instead of just saying we’ll see what Sampson says…that is the definition of stubbornness

4 Likes
6 Likes

Damn Davis even got stitches. My only phobia is needles/anything breaking skin. I’d request the super glue technique even if it stung more.

Fantastic win. Wichita brought their A game but we weathered through. Not trying to give cover-to refs , but we did foul a lot. We need to go improve on that.
Overally solid win, winning is difficult in this league. Go Coogs !

2 Likes

I hope at least everyone can agree that White having 12 points on 5 of 7 shooting in 25 minutes in his first start of the season is a good thing for our offense.

8 Likes

Quick thoughts on the game…I’m drained…no voice…quick-hits:

1. Terrible first half. Shots clanked all over the place, the Coogs allowed WSU to control the tempo with a slow pace and grind-it-out game plan, the Coogs allowed WSU to get comfortable shooting the ball, UH failed to rebound, and, overall, the Coogs had no rhythm/flow to the game.
  2. In the second half, the shots went in the basket, it rained 3-balls from Armoni and Corey, defensive intensity picked-up, and the Coogs forced some tempo. The last 2-minutes had me worried with a careless turnover and WSU cutting the game to one possession, but the Coogs hits FTs and closed out the game.
  3. Gregg Marshall is a terrific coach. He has a young team that is learning to win and WSU is developing some depth. Still, WSU was in the game to the very end. WSU played an outstanding first half. They forced the Coogs to play Shocker basketball. WSU played hard, made some shots, and they were disruptive for the first 20-minutes. In the second half, they ran out gas. Need some depth. Gregg Marshall will have WSU back at the top of the league by next year. I’m sure WSU fans know this, but he is a top-tier coach and they are lucky to have him as we Coog fans are lucky to have CKS. All that said, I’m glad WSU did not learn how to win at the expense of my Coogs. Tip of the cap to Gregg Marshall and WSU.
  4. Good crowd. My section, 113, was full, loud, and rowdy in the second half. Good job fans.
  5. I saw a few red ties tonight throughout the crowd. CKS probably doesn’t care and he wouldn’t admit it, but I bet he likes seeing them, too. No worries, Coach! We got your back. Take that tie off and throw it on the bench. Technical foul be damned.

One more thing, loved the alley-oop to Gresham…the James Harden toss to the rim and the big guy throws it down. From Section 113, it looked close to a goal-tending slam, but I’ll take it. The refs/AAC owed the Coogs for the debacle at Temple. I’ll take it.

Go Coogs. Peace.

4 Likes

I think not calling the goal tend was a make up call for the goal tend on Armoni’s layup (that wasnt called) just a minute earlier. Sometimes things even out eventually. Sometimes.

2 Likes

On the replay, and from my understanding, it wasn’t a ball tending. It was a really nice dunk!

1 Like