GAMEDAY THREAD! UH vs BYU

Same but as a Coog fan I should have known better to think anything is in the bag. Gone are the days we put up 70+ on teams.

Postgame takeaways:

• Tune played another good game. The first 3 quarters from him were exactly what we expect to see from an Air Raid QB.

• Offensive play calling in the 4th was absolutely baffling. Just astonishingly bad. It seemed like every play was designed to chuck it deep against a team that wasn’t giving us time to let those routes develop.

• Our secondary is a huge liability, and BYU exposed that in the second half. When they figured out that we could only stop them if they kept the ball on the ground, that was game over. We are going to get absolutely smoked by SMU and Memphis if that keeps up.

• Through two games, our short yardage defense has been unbelievable. Pound for pound, I don’t think there’s a better one in the country.

• BYU is good, but I’d be hard pressed to put them in the playoff unless every P5 team has two losses. Their schedule is abysmal.

• We gotta get the stupid mental errors cleaned up. There are three plays in particular that I’m thinking of, and I don’t think I need to call them out.

• The offense didn’t turn the ball over. That’s a huge improvement from last week.

2 Likes

I said this after Tulane about our secondary. Some people thought I was crazy.

True, 5th game vs 2nd game with fairly eveningly matched teams will make a difference.

1 Like

My post game take aways: 29-0 run by BYU.

3 Likes

Final thoughts from me in this then we are in the grade thread

1. Tune is going to be pretty good, I don’t know if he’s going to be special but there is a lot of talent there to develop.

2. We all see it there’s real potential v on both sides of the ball. They just have to play two halves. O can be really good and the front 7 can be good.

3. The level of stupid penalties is inexcusable, Paul had a bad night tonight, but they were all over the field. This is a poorly disciplined team and it cost us tonight.

4. Secondary is still pretty sus. Emergency Meeting for sure on that group.

5. Jekyll and Hyde special teams they were atrocious tonight.

5 Coaching has some red flags from tonight. The complete inability to find away to get the ball to Stevenson is unacceptable he’s your best player you find away to get him the ball. The inability to calm the team down when things started spiraling if this was an older yeah maybe they get less blame but for a young team that’s their job to keep the do straight.

1. Our inability to generate a turnover is driving me nuts. And it’s not like we’ve real close to one either.
  2. The missed tackles are also driving me nuts. I get that it’s not easy tracking other talented players. But it seems like we are exceptionally bad.
  3. Finally I hate to call out anyone player in particular. But can I say I just not a big fan of Stuart’s game right now? I love his passion, energy and playing with reckless abandon, but man I feel like he’s almost always out of position or overrunning a play, just he’s not playing in control right now. I want to see all those things I like about him in more laser focused way.
4 Likes

Special Teams, discipline, and fundamentals are my biggest concerns after 2 games.

Missed tackles too.

And a better HC… Sorry I digress for a minute there.

Tune has grown. He was calmer and more confident in the pocket. That said, I hope he continues to get better. Mental mistakes and lack of self-control were the biggest issues of the night to me. We hurt ourselves too much there. I also wish our defense had continued to throw different looks at the quarterback, but it is what it is. The other QB was good, but definitely manageable. Anyway, onward.

3 Likes

-We will never win anything worth winning with this huddle up, slow it down at times, TRY and run it up the gut Air Raid. I praised Dana back in the Keenum days whenever I saw him in public, but I don’t get this style one bit. UCF even in a down year, will eat our lunch.
-I bet the other punter that was going to walk on, and then left is laughing his **** off. Say what you want about Dane, someone commented he started off rough but I don’t recall it was this rough. How many shanks have we seen in two games now? I hope I can eat my words by season’s end.
-Props to Dalton, big time kick to close out the 2nd quarter.
-Why has the secondary all of a sudden reverted back to past form and not looking back for the ball?
(Automatic pass interference everytime).
-98 & 44! Everything and more. The run defense has been outstanding. Our much vaunted pass defense that was filled with so much promise, has a lot of work to do.

Dane was a “raw” talent when he arrived here for the 2016 season. Not sure if he had any real football experience, he could just punt it a mile with his Aussie style. By his junior year he became a punting surgeon out there. Hell, when your HC talks about how good the punter is and our best offensive weapon, you know he must be good.

Dane just needed some time to progress from kicking the hell out of the ball to punting it like a surgeon. We obviously miss him. The shank last night was a killer.

Why don’t we just start recruiting the way BYU does I am tired of recruiting dumb players you can say what you want about BYU not being as athletic because that’s kinda bs they actually get the good athletes and coach them up in a structured program not jus lets go out there and make all these crazy catches to win a football game

Dumb players? Are you serious right now?

2 Likes

Come on, man. Let’s be better than this. Go after the coach. Don’t go after the kids.

2 Likes

First off I’d like to apologize friends for going off the rails there on the BYU troll…the gin was flowing fast and furious at the wedding. Second, I seen a growing team learning how to win and I’m excited for the journey ahead

Wish we ran more of the Air Raid like Leach. Go ahead and run it when 8 are playing back. Otherwise throw it all over the yard…like when you were OC here.

Have you seen the offense that MS ST has shown last few weeks. Down 14–0 to Ags at half n it should be worse. They are struggling to say the least on Offensive side of ball. Scored only 3 of last 38 possessions.

I think that’s a very fair assessment, nice job.

I do wonder though, how many of these things are a true representation of our team versus this was our second game against the number 14 team in the nation who has already had four games under their belt. I only say that because we looked abysmal versus delayed to start out but then we got it together. We did that same thing against BYU, got it together, but then didn’t know how to finish.

Jerry, why don’t you start using punctuation marks? Your run on sentences with no breaks are harder to follow. The reader has to take extra time to break it down and separate the statements and questions.

As for the content of your post; it was offensive to our players. They are not dumb, immature sometimes, but intelligent enough to get into our fine university and pass. Maybe you should think before making a dumb post.