Goodbye to the UC Satellite

Looks like another campus landmark will soon bite the dust:( While I understand the ever present flooding issues with the Satellite, I’ll miss seeing it on my annual campus visits. It gave a nice open look to that part of the campus and was distinctive. And I’ll always remember enjoying the sun on warm spring days laying on the satellite hill . Goodbye Satellite: the underground center set to close April

6 Likes

Oh satellite how I hated walking down those steps only to see 2 places open and a long line at Starbucks. But I did have good conversations there. I’ll try and go walk around there in April to reminisce.

2 Likes

I always went to the study rooms upstairs. Much quieter than the library in those days.

1 Like

I dug it, but I know it’s always had ridiculous flooding issues.

1 Like

The Satellite was always quieter…at least for the semester or so after it reopened after Allison. But I guess I can understand how an open pit in Houston is just not a good idea anymore.

1 Like

I have good memories of students gathering around the big tv in the main entry area watching Jerry Springer at the upswing of his fame. That was fun. The post-Allison Satellite was also quite nice but very different. Still have memories of both.

1 Like

Hope we don’t change the name here! :sob:

1 Like

I saw the OJ verdict at the satellite…that’s my memory

7 Likes

Was there a crowd reaction?

1 Like

Yes, that is when I learned how different the trial was for blacks and whites.

1 Like

My first college beer was at the UC. For that alone, I’m sad to see it go.

1 Like

I didn’t remember them having beer at the Sattelite.

1 Like

They didn’t. I think Norb’s confusing the UC with the UC Satellite.

2 Likes

I remember there was this one guy there who kicked everyone’s butt playing Street Fighter. Guy was legend. He didn’t even use Ryu or Ken. :sunglasses:

1 Like

That was not me but I believe I played my fair share of pinball games…

Could have sworn they sold beer at the Satellite. It was in cans in the glass front fridges. This was back in the mid 80’s. Maybe too far back for you young guys.

I thought sure they sold beer there in the late 70’s.

You guys could be right–I didn’t get there until the early/mid 90’s.

Same.

So my memory hasn’t faded that much. I know I had a lot of beers at UH but you always remember the first one.