Greg Ward Jr- Eagles

Cotton bowl and Rob Williams laying an egg in the final four included with the swiss miss game.

2 Likes

OMG
forgot about those.

The South Miss game is a forgotten oldie.

Man that was a rough week
 must’ve felt like decades

7 Likes

There have been so many bad weeks
 by comparison our QB redshirting in a 1-3 season just doesn’t jolt my Coog-o-meter.

2 Likes

Has to be the Chicken Soup Bowl
 Montana was statistically great but that was still an awesome Coog team that OWNED ND for 3.75 quarters!

3 Likes

Greg is back with the practice squad.

3 Likes

Has the organization or head coach given any thought to replacing Mack Hollins with Greg Ward on the active game day roster? — @FrancisGDavis via Twitter

I don’t know whether anyone in the organization has given it a lot of thought, Francis, but I definitely have. I understand why they like Hollins. He’s 5 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than the 5-foot-11, 190-pound Ward. He might be their best blocking wide receiver, which they feel is important in their 11-personnel (three wide receiver) packages.

He’s an exceptional special teams player, though he’s only playing a handful of special teams snaps these days. But wide receivers are paid to catch the football, and Hollins isn’t catching it. In the last four games, he has played 183 offensive snaps and has no receptions. None. Zero, zip, zilch. That’s unacceptable.

Ward had an exceptional preseason, but was cut by the Eagles for the third straight year and signed to their practice squad. The former University of Houston quarterback has played in just one game this season (Week 3 vs. the Lions) and has spent the rest of the year on the practice squad. I’m not suggesting Ward is a future All-Pro. But given the lack of production the Eagles have gotten from the wide receiver position since DeSean Jackson got hurt in Week 2, why wouldn’t you give this kid a shot?

14 Likes

Yeah, why wouldn’t you?

Beats me.

1 Like

The logical reason would be the plays that have been designed. The “other side of the coin” would be to revise the playbook and include plays to suit Greg’s talent. This is where it is not logical to “our” eyes. Greg can be utilised in many different roles/plays. You could see him as a WR, slot receiver but also as a RB. You betcha he could be utilised as a runner, Heck you could see him in a wild card formation that could even end up as a pass play. He is extremely versatile.

I still feel playing him in college at QB was a disservice to him. He was never going to a NFL caliber QB and best chance was at WR. Could of been working on his route running, hands, and learning how to read defense from WR position.

Would this be his last year of eligibility for a NFL practice squad?

Lol
you dont take your best QB on the team and groom him for nfl service as a safety or receiver. That’s not any coach’s job.

3 Likes

And who was gonna throw him the ball? John O’Korn?

3 Likes

Yes, I believe that it is.

1 Like

Taysom Hill in New Orleans comes to mind. The Eagles have an opportunity to be creative, but are squandering it for some reason. If they aren’t going to utilize Greg, then they need to waive him so he may make another roster elsewhere. He’s running out of time and Philly is sitting there twiddling their thumbs!

Ward is more athletic but I don’t think he would last long at QB. At 5’11 (maybe) and 190 (don’t make me laugh) he’s not big enough to endure very many NFL hits. His best chance at survival, should he get a chance to play, is WR.

Taysom Hill is 6’2" 221. Much better able to absorb hits.

How are the plays they are running now different from the plays Greg was executing will in pre-season? Seems like they would be the same plays.

Playbooks evolve from pre-season to regular season.

Of course it’s situational, based on opponent but they don’t change that much.