Grimes is too passive

When he looked unassertive at the beginning, I thought he was just getting used to the new team. He took over a few games, then would disappear. Maybe his leg injury is bothering him, off and on. He has flashes of being a great player.

If it’s all those injuries hes not staying. He could be getting medical and treatment with a team or ortho from the team and be getting paid. We all know he can play but if his injury is holding him back why would he stay.

There have been only 4 games where he has not scored in double figures (Oregon, Ok State, UTEP and Temple) and he is averaging 14 pts, 4 reb and 3 assist per game while shooting almost 45% from the field. So maybe he could be more aggressive but I don’t think I expected any more from him at this point. Maybe less up and down and more consistent but he has had some bigger games than I thought he would.

1 Like

Some of you guys watch too much Rockets “basketball”. We don’t want players who force shots and take contested shots. If a guy isn’t making shots, why do you want him taking more?? Grimes has been inconsistent on offense this season, but he has not lost us any games because of it (OK St was an ugly game overall where a bunch of guys struggled). A lot has to do with the defense keying in on him too. As teams worry about Mills more then Grimes should step up even more. He is shooting 55% from the field and 46% from 3 in games he takes double digit shots (6 so far). Seems to me he has been playing smart and focused on helping the team win.

1 Like

He likely is doing what the coach instructed him to do and learning the point guard position at once. He’s a solid addition to a team that lost three top scorers from last year. He is not the second coming of Michael Jordon, but has more upside than all but maybe one or two players on this roster.

1 Like

I think a few games he has been passive but I think he just needs to work on his paint finishing. I noticed he doesn’t really have a floater or any other moves if it’s not a layup. For all of Deeky’s flaws he has an array of moves when he gets to the paint. Grimes could probably drive and pull up for more 7-8 fters. I think his defense on the best wing has gone overlooked some since he has picked up a lot of fouls (college refs :roll_eyes:) that have gotten him out of the flow of game.

1 Like

Solid post!!

I would like to see Grimes play the high post against the zone to use his ability to drive and shoot or pass to our wing shooters. White and Gorham look timid (won’t face the basket) once they receive the pass although Gorham did hit a jumper against Temple.

Some of us aren’t interested in him shooting 3’s but driving. He’s the best on our team.

Today against Tulsa…

1 Like

I’m sorry he is not all that, I’ve been watching basketball a long time, his offensive game is not good, doesn’t have moves to blow by people, just looks tight on offense

He’s not a shake n bake guy. He’s a powerful, straightforward penetrator. His best game is transition, or early in the set while the defense is still setting up. He actually has another gear between the free throw line and the basket. He’s just too hesitant to start right now. I will say he could have scored 60 points driving against Rice, but opted to pass it around the perimeter.

2 Likes

Munzell, if he would drive and dish, that would be OK if he did it before there’s just a second on the clock. Galen had that problem early on, but he perfected his drive and dish to the delight of Gray and Davis.

He’s young…he’ll be a star by the time he leaves…and that may be a few more years!

1 Like

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying.

He’s wasting his talent…He needs to get his confidence up and start leading this team.

1 Like

i don’t get the complaing…there is a clear pattern

he goes off when teams play man… he stats are way lower vs zone…the 1st few games you hope for a change, but this deep in the season, its time to accept that is what happens

1 Like

Going forward, I don’t see why every team will not play zone defense against this Coog team. It apparently is very good at keeping UH from scoring at will. Coogs having very tough time with it.

1 Like

OTOH, it didn’t work that well for Washington and apparently they are noted for their zone defense.

I’m sure there are many variations of zone defenses and it is up to the coaching staff to plan for that.

Teams that are primarily man to man and then switch to a zone for a particular game probably are not going to have a good defensive night.

Their zone defense worked pretty well for them. We only shot 37% from the field that game. A bigger contributor to Washington losing that game was all of their turnovers on offense, which led to us getting more possessions than they did.