Hell no

Disagree. The P6 narrative could absolutely work if the American teams beat the big boys. Which they did last year, this year not so much. As long as the talking heads discuss the narrative of records rather than brands. The American can be the P6 conference (in some ways already is). ESPN is not the only network with skin in the game. There are other outlets that have incentive to push this agenda.

1 Like

I suspect this is actually being pushed by the co called P5.

1 Like

And ESPN.

1 Like

Mainly ESPN.

I think it’s ESPN creating a story to send a message that G5s will not be allowed near the CFP.

1 Like

I had to stop reading when you compared crack, a physically, psychologically, measurably, scientifically mind altering drug that kills people and destroys lives to the stupid babble that people who just have nothing better to do listen to. I get what you were trying to do with type worrying, but you went way too far, your metaphor made me lose all interest in your diatribe…

1 Like

Memphis prez with a great response:

https://twitter.com/UofMemphisPres/status/814977556596346880

4 Likes

Lol…Clever!

Here is a very simplistic way of what is today’s college football. We/I mentioned it many times.
BCS
First P5’s attempt to nullify or kick out G5’s group from access to equal bowl money.
This is where the G5’s should have taken legal action. Utah started…then it got accepted into the PAC. Coincidence? I think not. Remember a lot of the public Schools get “public/tax” money. Why should a U of H make less money than an FSU in a bowl? Boise and Utah proved to every P5’s powerhouses that they could compete and beat them regularly. That did not seat well with the P5’s and their media suitors. Read what espn pundits tell us about strength of schedule. Again, The P5’s were created to make the most money possible at the expense of G5 programs…thus creating a cartel.
CFP
The G5 group gave up and agreed to a NY6 game to allow the creation of the CFP. It also allowed for the P5’s to cash in at the expense of the G5’s. Review what FSU made vs what U of H made for the Peach Bowl. This was the turning point and basically legitimized the P5’s. The G5’s sold out and now only have themselves to blame. Again, they could have taken their plea to congress or at least made their wish public. This means excluding any G5 from getting into the CFP. The CFP can’t say it publicly. Any admission would backfire against them. Everyone wants the underdog to win.
espn and Fox are losing money due to cord cutting. It only takes us closer to a “Super FBS League” We have no choice but to get into a P5, any P5. Now comes the point of being excluded from a P5. The small12 “played” us like fools. There is no other way to describe it. Let’s say espn did not want the small12 to expand. Then why didn’t uta broker a deal for our inclusion? Our ratings are golden. Our inclusion meant more ratings into an SEC area. uta is the reason why the small12 is still standing. TCU and WV got into the small12 with an inclusion deal why did not we? This reminds me of the airlines or NFL “protected” territories. What was discussed and agreed behind close doors will never come out. Being excluded since 1996 tells me everything I need to know about uta. They are our enemy and we are their worst nightmare. Do they put pressure on FOX and espn from U of H getting into a P5? You decide. You already know my answer.
Which P5 has recruiting interest into Texas/Greater Houston area and what is their TV contract? IMO answering this very simple question gives us our best chance into getting a P5. Is espn protecting uta or OU? Then let’s go after FOX. They do own the BIG10 network. The PAC12 is also looking for their next option. Its all speculation but if the Raiders do move to Las Vegas this will open the door for a possible P5 expansion. Getting UNLV and U of H would make perfect sense.

2 Likes

Good post, Chris…Sound thinking…Texas and OU refused to extend the GOR, which means small 12 is doomed. There was never going to be any Big 12 expansion, thats clear. Unquestionably, the next expansion move will come from BIG, PAC and Fox…Things will get very interesting shortly after 2020, when BIG and PAC tv deals are close to expiration, and future moves will begin to take place,we ABSOLUTELY have to be ready and prepared as a highly attractive option to move into either league, and i think we will be. I am tired of the wait, but it will be worth it in the end…Houston is golden in many ways.

1 Like

That is a good point to discuss. What are the othe options

As for other options, it is always possible ESPN could encourage ACC to expand by 2 and keep us in ESPN orbit, but i have no idea on how likely that would be. I certainly think our best chance is a PAC or BIG expansion. I do think it likely that the leagues, long friendly partners, work with each other and make a move more or less together…

Both the playoff games are on ESPN only! Screw ESPN, so done with that network.

2 Likes

Western Michigan coach calls Group of 5 playoff ‘ridiculous’
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/0ec1aa7bf0fd4a4ba62d49b60e59a792/western-michigan-coach-calls-group-5-playoff-ridiculous

“I think the way it is, is perfect. If you’re in the Group of Five, if you can go undefeated two years in a row, you deserve to be in a national championship and you’ll find your way into the national championship,” Fleck said.

“Everybody is talking Houston this year, Group of Five team. Goes 13-1 last year, beats Florida State. They beat a top-five team to start the year. If they would have continued that and went 13-0 or 13-1, I guarantee they’d be in one of those top four spots.”

2 Likes

SEC commissioner explains why Group of Five should ‘be careful’ about playoff idea
A second playoff for a lower-tier college football championship may be a slippery slope

“Well, we’re down a road there that I think is too far,” Sankey said when asked if the Power Five would stop scheduling Group of Five teams. “I’ve seen [AAC commissioner] Mike Aresco say adamantly we’re not interested. I’ve seen others say the same. That’s why I would urge those who are advocates to be careful.”

Mid-American Conference commissioner doesn’t think a separate playoff is the answer

“The system is so much better than where we were 15 or 20 years ago,” Steinbrecher said. “The access we have, the opportunity we have. We’ve had the Boise State’s, the Northern Illinois, the Western Michigans and Houston last year playing in New Year’s Six games that they would have never been in before. Access was not there. And so the fact that we now have that access is quite a positive.”

The infuriating thing still is that it’s not accurate for him to say “never would’ve been there,” because UH was in fact in several Cotton Bowls in living memory.

The truth is the P5 conferences have better attendance figures, too. You can talk about how unfair it is, but that’s the truth. Is there a chicken-and-egg effect for P5 teams getting media exposure to drive attendance? Maybe. Until we get in a P5 conference, this is our lot. Just buy your tickets, come tto the games, have fun.

And that is exactly what Tom Herman cost us. For all the good he did in the end he pulled the rug out from under us by his obsessive job hunting. Then Herman added insult to injury by signing with the very program which is totally dedicated to the destruction of both UH and it’s athletic programs.

1 Like

100% agree