Hell no

Could not disagree more with Steinbrecher.

Steinbrecher and his G5 commissioners cohorts signed the G5 capitulation to the P5. He and the others helped create the CFP. Shame on him and his friends.

Better than before? Let’s see and like it or not here are a few FBS National Champions.
SMU…THREE
Miami…TWO as independent
THE KICKER IS BYU…AS A WAC MEMBER A NON BIG CONFERENCE

Now a G5 commissioner has the attention span of a two year old? No, he wants you to believe than this is a better deal. He wants you to believe than past history does not exist.
I have come to only one conclusion the more I think about ways for our possible inclusion into a P5. We need to sue. There is one precedent. Utah threatened to do it and then…GOT INVITED TO THE PAC12 Orin Hatch “borkered” that deal.

Why can’t we do the same?
Was Utah a Football powerhouse
Did Utah belong to a “power conference” like SMU and U of H did? NO
Why should we have to wait until the next tv deal? These are valid questions. I am hoping that we have at least explored that avenue.
This is what’s at stake. We won’t be able to survive as a G5 forever. The numbers do not add up. We do not have the luxury of the PUF.

2 Likes

A lawsuit is a possibility. So is Congressional action, although P5 programs would work overtime to get their reps to kill any such legislation. But we are on a better foundation there than many realize.

I traded email with Scott Cowen when he was President of Tulane. He was preparing both a legal and a legislative assault on the BCS as an illegal cartel. This man is no fool. He had his ducks lined up. Tulane has a world class law school and he was in the process of lining up all the resources the law school could provide. BCS programs around the country were going into overdrive to try to stop him.

Point is, Dr. Cowen established that an illegal cartel could be challenged and had Katrina not wiped out New Orleans the face of college sports might be very different today.

Bottom line, both legal and legislative action is possible. But it would take someone like Cowen to pick up the banner and run with it. Maybe a Tilman Fertitta could lead the charge although between his business, his involvement with UH and his TV program I cannot imagine where he would find the kind of energy this would demand. Can you imagine the monetary damages one program such as UH could demand? Just one program!

Great thoughts. Utah did it and got into the PAC12. There were no reasons whatsoever for them to get an invite. Orin Hatch did it for them. The problem with the CFP is that it was approved by the G5’s. Could that change a possible lawsuit from us? I did not think a lawsuit was the best way to go a few months ago. Now I unfortunately reached that decision. An email to Dr. Cowen could be very interesting.
The G5 programs like us are on the verge of being pushed out for good. That is the stark reality…UNFORTUNATELY.

Some fantastic quotes in this article

Navy athletic director, American commissioner oppose Group of Five playoff concept
http://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy_sports/ph-ac-cs-g5-playoff-follow-0107-20170106-story.html

“It’s absolute lunacy,” Gladchuk said. “In my opinion, it’s a non-starter. I can’t imagine there would be any interest in creating some sort of secondary competition of this nature.”

“The answer is an emphatic no,” Aresco said. “We compete for national championships like anyone else in FBS, including the Power 5, and have no interest in any kind of separate championship.”

“It would be television’s delight. Because the TV folks could throw a couple bones to the munchkins to keep them at bay. It would be a self-declaration that the Group of Five is a second tier operation and should realize only second tier money,” Gladchuk said. “You’re admitting to an inferior product, and Navy has no interest in associating with that type of lack of ambition.”

“In my judgment, the only dialogue we should be having involves replacing the New Year’s Six with the New Year’s Eight,” he said. “Let’s go in that direction and think in a proactive and positive way.”

I think it was simply one athletic director who spoke out to the media on this issue," Aresco said. “As far as I know, there have been no discussions about this at any level. Based off my conversations with commissioners of the other Group of Five conferences, there is no support whatsoever for this idea.”

“I have no reason to believe ESPN is behind this. Brett McMurphy is an excellent reporter and he simply wrote about something a few athletic directors are talking about. We’ve never had one discussion with ESPN about this,” Aresco said. “I hope this silly idea goes away really quickly. There is no movement on this. Some of the articles suggested there was a concerted initiative and ongoing discussion and that’s just not true. This suggestion came up a couple years ago and we vetoed it right away.”

Then the real question in this is.
Why would it come out now and which interests does it serve best?
What’s that? When there is smoke there is fire.

Ruthenberg: Separate playoff would create a G5 ghetto

Clearly, NIU’s Frazier had gone rogue and the fact he couldn’t get anybody on record to support him speaks volumes. It should have ended there. But it was enough to feed the ESPN machine, which seems unconcerned about relying on more unnamed than named sources to push what clearly was a false narrative.

Northern Illinois AD won’t give it up; now saying (with no actual real info) that the playoff will provide $160M to participating schools. Aresco flat out rebuffs the idea.

AAC commissioner Mike Aresco reiterated his stance Sunday when asked about the playoff by CBS Sports.

“Zero interest in the concept,” said Aresco, who has added on many occasions his belief the American is the sixth power conference.

G5 football would lose the little respect it has around the country if this were to happen. This makes UH getting into a better conference that much more important.

2 Likes

In other words, his school and other schools in the MAC are not capable of running an athletic program with the current model and want to come up with a new model to get more money and to get better recruits while claiming a national championship in football. To be honest this is being proactive on NIU’s part.
I expect the Big12 to lose 4 teams when their GOR expires in a few years. UT and OU to the B1G West. Oklahoma State and Kansas to the newly aligned SEC West, along with A&M, Mizzou, LSU, Arkansas Ole Miss and Mississippi State. Leaves 6 members of the Big12 to try to salvage the conference. Only hope there is for UH is a Pac-12 or ACC invite. My guess is Notre Dame becomes a full member of the ACC. ACC will add another full member along with Notre Dame. Maybe Cincinnati or West Virginia.

Yesterday I heard Hunter Yurachek speak to a Rotary group in Clear Lake. He said that there will be a shake up in conference realignment in 3-5 years and UH is being proactive with that in mind.

8 Likes

Good to hear!

Agreed, if Im in Frazier’s shoes, I’m doing the same thing right now. However, this makes no sense for anybody in the AAC right now and if the AAC isn’t in, the plan goes nowhere.

In other words ESPN, as usual, is full of crap.

2 Likes

Niumatalolo was also blunt when it came to the AAC’s push to be considered more with the Power Five conferences of the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC than with the likes of Conference USA and the Sun Belt. AAC commissioner Mike Aresco has tried to coin the term “Power Six” and said in October the league would “ramp up” its efforts on the labeling front if the Big 12 didn’t take any AAC schools in expansion.

The Big 12 didn’t expand and Niumatalolo said wins over teams from the Big 12 (like Oklahoma) and other Power Five conferences will do more than a marketing push.

“We have this discussion, we’ll have it in May [at conference meetings] with all the AAC coaches and we’ll have the marketing people come in try to show us the new logo for the AAC and the TV people come in and do all that — We’ve got to win. and bottom line for our conference, we’ve got to beat people out of conference. We’ve got to beat Power Five schools. And I think what’s happened, is our conference is doing that and I think the more and more we can do that, hopefully it can get us in that discussion.”

This is why I hate College football. Because of the segregation.

I agree with coach Ken, but it’s going to be harder and harder to beat “G5” teams when they don’t schedule us.

Progs, then why in the name of reason do you spend so much time here holding forth on all things college football? Your negativity can be pervasive at times. Now we know why.

1 Like