Honest thoughts after 2nd game?

Hard to be too negative. We were supposed to win and we did. And by a lot more than most anyone presumed we would. After what I saw in the 2nd half against Tech, my sole hope for this season is to see continued improvement week to week.

5 Likes

You do know that the odds of it snowing 6" in Houston next Saturday are much greater than the odds of Rice beating UT in football this season.

If we have to worry about losing to Tulane and Tulsa, then we’re not a good team still.

4 Likes

It’s not like UH is coming off 8 or 9 win seasons. Tulane has very good Offense n will be tough opponent. Some thgs you can’t change n all you can do is make positive steps frwd. Trying to see how it would be Shock if Tulane wins. Green Wave might even be favored when they play the Coogs.

1 Like

We could beat Grambling 60-0 and some fans would still have complaints.

2 Likes

The talent and coaching at Tulsa and Tulane is quite similar to that at UH. I would expect both games to be pretty close and the pregame betting line to be in single digits - one way or the other.

Whether this year’s UH team develops into a very good team or even a really good team is still yet to be determined - but we all knew that (or should have known that) coming into this season.

I don’t know if a loss to Tulane will be devastating this season. They gave OU a ball game.

1 Like

We could beat Grambling 100-0 and it would mean nothing. They’re Grambling. If we look like we should be on the same field as them, that’s a bad sign. (See also: Rice)

2 Likes

I imagine if we still play Grambling (due to crazy weather this week) we should see a lot of backup players in.

1 Like

Tulane:
School reopens Uptown on Sept 27th. @ ECU on Sept 2nd.
First game on campus will be UH on Oct 7th and is going to be an emotional affair.
They could still find a latent issue w their stadium but it seems we are NOLA bound.

1 Like

I guess OU isn’t a good football team because they were for sure worried about losing to Tulane

1 Like

Yeah Ike might play the whole 2nd half lol

1 Like

Wow. I have to say I’m surprised at all the negative Nancy’s out there. Yes the 2nd half meltdown vs Tech was horrible. However few are giving Rice any credit. They gave Arky all they wanted and led for most of the game. Kind of melted down in 4th qtr like we did last week. Why not step back and take a longer term view. Tune looked much better. I know he has a lot of limitations like inconsistent throwing and having a hard time picking up secondary targets but it was lots better. He is not going to be the guy to lead us into the big 12 most likely anyway. Dell and McKaskill are going to be fun to watch. For the first time since 2016 we have a deep and talented DEFENSE under Belk. The most important thing about this year is to let of young players develop and look forward to what I think will be a huge uptick in recruiting in anticipation of our B12 move. For everyone calling for Dana’s head, let’s see how the season plays out. We of all fans should know that changing coaches every 3 or 4 years is not a formula for success. That’s UT’s kind of thinking.

6 Likes

I would hope that the 3rd team guys (and really most all of our scholarship freshmen) get to see some reps in this next game and maybe even in the UConn game (but that one is on the road).

With the way the schedule lines up, I can’t see a situation where Dana doesn’t get extended.
It would take some god awful losses.

1 Like

Rice versus Arkansas.

We are not the only program with that problem. Have you heard all the grousing from UT supporters? Building an offensive line takes time…and strategic recruiting.

But wouldn’t that be a red letter day if it did happen?

3 Likes

If the Oline can help us get 9 wins I’ll consider it a giant step in the right direction. 8 wins I’ll accept but grudginhly.

If the Oline just starts opening some decent holes I’ll consider it a giant step in the right direction.

8 Likes