Honest thoughts after 2nd game?

but Rice lost at arky by less than texas and rice looked better doing vs arky than texas….can’t wait to see rice vs texas next week
rice has a solid run game, wish we had those 2 running backs

2 Likes

He reminds me more of Charles Sims. Michael Hayes was an absolute beast though. My Favorite runs by him were in the UCLA game and in the Ticket City bowl, where he just absolutely trucked people in his way.

4 Likes

And against UTEP.

1 Like

Tulsa always plays their hardest and best against us; I don’t see this year being any different.

2 Likes

I would love to see Rice beat UT.

11 Likes

For my bit we’ve lost a game we weren’t favored to win and won one we were favored to win. We can afford to drop one out of conference since it’s not like we can make the playoffs yet and the New Year’s bowl requires winning probably at Cincinnati regardless.

Not happy with Clayton Tune but willing to see if the team improves as the fall goes on. Failing to recruit a quarterback is a major strike on Dana, but again maybe that can be fixed.

Overall still waiting to get upset.

Our Defense is the best in many seasons. Kudos to our Coaches for their recruiting and actual coaching the players.

Poor Mulbah. Just has never been the same since his injuries. I have seen enough of Alton to say he is our starter. A stud recruit and is very effective as a receiver.

Paul and Murphy were better, but it was Rice. We need to see them improve each week. Our Center, RG, and RT look good. This unit could get better and better. Talent is there.

Tune with no turnovers= Winning. Hope he can continue this way.

Point spread was 8. We killed that. Promising!

3 Likes

We have Kopp and Mussad but looks like Dana is the type of coach that likes his QBs to practice and learn the plays and get reps for a year or two before starting. There are many coaches that go with that mentality.

1 Like

10 of Rice’s 17 points were off a blocked punt and interception.

1 Like

but still we couldn’t run against them.

2 Likes

Michael Hayes was a BEAST. I miss him more than any running back we’ve had in the last 10 years.

Hayes was a much stronger back than McCaskill currently is but McCaskill is still very young.

McCaskill has the potential to be much better because of his vision and patience. He could be something really special.

2 Likes

They are very different types of runners. You can see Alton has a wiggle move that he likes, Hayes wasn’t about that

Very proud of our Coogs last night with that huge turn around from the TT 2nd half disaster. Clayton played very well and was able to turn around completely. Those three 3rd and long were incredible and really put the game away. Big time by Clayton and well deserved.

The D was very stout and is by far the strength of the team.

The only thing I can pass on are the personal fouls. How in the hell did we get two 15 yard penalties on a Coog TD? At one point in time, the best part of the Rice offense was our personal fouls.

But besides that, a great turn around game that we dominated and dominated a team that went through the 3rd quarter tied with Arkansas at Arkansas and a Arky team that kicked the crap out of the Whorns from the get go last night.

I’m glad we won in blowout fashion, which is what we should do against Rice. It’s hard to compare week one with two based on the level of competition. But a win is a win.

In fairness a few of Dell’s catches were acrobatic as he had to slow down his stride and reach behind him to catch.

If he ever caught dell in stride it would be amazing.

2 Likes

Rice: We whipped a bad team and it felt good after TT.

Wins: Grambling, Navy, USF, UGone.
Probably wins: ECU, Temple.
Need to see more games: Tulsa, (Tulane if in Htown)
I don’t like our chances:Tulane (if in NOLA), SMU, Memphis.

Alton is a really good rb and he knifed his way up the middle and I like us putting in Ike. He made sone good throws and can run.

144 yards rushing seems good to me.

Which game are you talking about? Rice only scored 7 points and Tune threw zero interceptions last night…

3 Likes

Everyone knows we have 4 losable games on the schedule…Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, and Memphis.

We have 2 at home and may get Tulane also due to Hurricane issues in NOLA.

We have a good shot at an excellent record.

4 Likes