Horrible defense on last play

For real. SDS got a better look Thursday nite when we did put our tallest player on the inbounds.

1 Like

I had zero problems not guarding the inbounds. Like numerous people have said, with 3.6 seconds left, I like our chances guarding 4 guys with 5. There was some confusion, particularly with Rob, but Poole was not wide open when he shot the ball. That assertion is ridiculous. Corey got to him in time, jumped and had a hand in his face. Poole shot that ball from his hip to get it off in time and it went in. It was nothing more than a lucky heave, and while it sucks to be on the losing end of something like that, it was just that–luck.

I’m still royally pissed that Rob Gray was officiated differently than everyone else on the floor in that game. For once, the foul calls were not extraordinarily lop-sided, but it appeared clear from the opening tip that these refs had either decided, or were instructed to not call fouls when Rob attacked the basket. Everyone else who attacked the basket during the game got foul calls. This is inexcusable and someone should be forced to explain it. Officiating at the NBA and NCAA levels has made the game almost unwatchable. Something really needs to be done. I wouldn’t mind seeing officials replaced with cameras in every sport.

4 Likes

If Rob had not been officiated differently all season he would have averaged 4-5 points higher per game.

2 Likes

Yes I’m curious about this as well?

We were watching the game with a bunch of people but couldn’t really hear what was going on but what happen on that play?

I wasn’t devastated because I was happy that the team over achieved. Even if we won, we still had 4 more wins against mostly tougher teams to make actual history.

Our 6th ranked,12-0 team getting crushed by 21st ranked USM and missing out on our first BCS bowl was more devastating to me. Judging by the 2008 in your name, I think you were around for that.

We didn’t over-achieve. That’s ridiculous. We were every bit the equal to Cincy, WSU, Michigan, and SDSU during the last month of the season.

The celebration isn’t that we over-achieved but that we didn’t over-achieve. We played at our level.

2 Likes

Hilarity continues !!

You make over-achieve sound like a dirty phrase. What is so wrong about it? Let me ask you this, can you rank us against Cincy, WSU and Michigan by high school recruit rankings, home court quality, fan attendance, recent tourney success, number of starters headed to the NBA and preseason expectations by the majority of sports sites? If you are being honest with yourself, we ranked 4th in all of those categories yet in 5 out of 7 match ups against them, we either kicked their butt or played even with them until the final seconds.

If going from 2 straight NIT first round exits to getting a first round win in the NCAA tourney with big men that averaged more fouls than points on the season, doesn’t count as over-achieving to you, then you are the one being ridiculous.

I think Corey Davis knows we love this team. There is nothing wrong with fans being hurt and trying to figure things out. I’m sure the team is devastated as well. Losing in such a monumental fashion on what can only be thought of as a lucky shot is just painful to swallow.

These Coogs did great and we are going to miss the seniors. Thanks for a great and memorable season.

2 Likes

Gray left a ton of short balls at the rim. But it was mainly because he was getting hacked. You could see it on replay. And even the announcers noticed. And RG was vocal about it.

And if they make all those missed layups in the second half thee Wolverines win going away. Easy to speculate after the fact

Yes, most of this thread is speculation.

I hope everyone is enjoying watch Michigan destroy the Aggies. It’s not pretty about 12 minutes into the game.

1 Like

I have no doubt that we could run a&m off the floor!

3 Likes

it’s as if the aggies don’t want to play. totally disinterested. no defensive effort.