Houston fans

I hear and I buy a lot the arguments about where and who we are…

…that said, somebody explain to me Kansas and Rutgers !!!

Please…anybody !!

My brother and his kids. My kids and I stayed the whole game.

1 Like

Maybe some of yall are too young to remember. There was a time not that long ago in which the only way we would get 30k tickets sold, was to host a power 5 school. Now yall are complaining when the team looked like it was spiraling out of control, was no longer ranked, was hosting a directional school with a losing record, still had over 35k tickets sold and had 30k show up but some just couldn’t continue to watch.

It’s not about being fair weathered. It’s about finding no joy in watching a team go from so high to so low so quickly.

If it’s suppose to be all about supporting and building a stronger program, then you need to do a better job with basketball attendance.

1 Like

I had to go to the concourse with about 2 minutes left in first half. Able to make it back for start of third quarter and lasted through the end of the game. Wife was over heating with about 3 minutes left in fourth quarter and went to concourse. The rest of our group in sun baked 229 made it through the end and happy we stayed. However, we were very disappointed in all of the empty seats.

What was the temperature in Austin for the Whorns and Rape U game Saturday afternoon? How many empty seats?

We need to attract fans that are not on this board.

Did you just compare our game against a directional school that’s only top 25 opponent was a major ass whooping and UT playing a top 10, undefeated Baylor for empty seats? Our attendance was up over 30% from the previous home game against UCF. Under 26k two years ago and over 35k this year. How much did attendance go up from the previous UT/Baylor matchup? Dumb comparison right? Now you know how everyone else felt reading your comment.

3 Likes

A TtU friend went to the game and says to me “where are all the fans? At TtU the place is pretty packed even when we suck” I says to him, good point, but TtU always sucks. You already know what you’re gonna get. We have just had a a couple bad games. See y’all next fall! :wink:

1 Like

Comparing attendance in Lubbock vs. Houston will never be apples to apples. Only competition Tech games typically have from an entertainment standpoint is the Texas Corn Growers Association Annual Square Dance/Bake Sale/Silent Auction.

4 Likes

I didn’t show. However, I made sure my seats were occupied by Cougar fans. Unfortunately I had a Bat Mitzvah in Dallas to attend. Scheduling sucks sometimes.

1 Like

Pretty ample data to indicate that outdoor 11:00am football in humid hot Houston is a tough sell. There is a reason NRG Staidium is an indoor stadium. There is a reason NRG has a retractable roof that’s virtually never open. Add in unattractive no-name opponent with absolutely zero regional interest and its shocking that we got 25K to actually show up (while selling 35K tickets).

For UH, the real preferred atmoshpere is an evening 7pm start. An afternoon of tailgating in the shade and an exciting fun COMFORTABLE evening atmosphere. That UCF game probably approaches a sell out if it’s at 7pm—despite the fact we dropped 2 of the last 3 games.

You can buck history if you want—but the local college football customer prefers evening games If you aren’t offering what the customer prefers–can you really complain when the attendance is less than optimum? I was there—but I’m always going to be there. A third of our season ticket base is NEW. We needed to show them how fun UH games can be. Instead, we have scheduled fewer night games than I can remember in years. I fear thats going to bite us in the butt next year come renewal time.

3 Likes

I agree. We, CoogFans, should have an audience with these folks who plan things. They see numbers (well maybe not), and we have shown that we have the experiance in Houston to upgrade our experience.

Does anyone know if U of H Athletics has any input with ESPN when to schedule our games? If we do have any input than Hunter needs to explain to ESPN ratings will be better with 7:00 PM games on Saturdays.

That is not how it works. ESPN says jump and we say how high?

1 Like

Navy game had pitiful attendance by home team. Only the mids showed up for the game. That game was the OU game for them & too many decided to stay out of a little shower.

CoogFansAdminitcoog
That is not how it works. ESPN says jump and we say how high?

Thank you for clarification. The following are blurbs about the Big 10 having Friday night games per the contract with ESPN. Why would Penn State be allowed to decline the request for a Friday game if ESPN dictates the televised games? See end of below.

• Brian BennettESPN Staff Writer
Big Ten football is coming to Friday nights in 2017 and beyond.
The conference’s new TV contract, which begins next season, will include a package of six Friday night games. The news was first reported by the Chicago Tribune and later announced by the Big Ten.
The Friday night games will be limited to September and October and won’t include every team. Schools with huge stadiums, such as Penn State and Ohio State, won’t be asked to host them. And Michigan has declined to participate in Friday night games at home or on the road, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany told the Tribune.
The Big Ten plans to announce the 2017 Friday night schedule within the next four to seven days.
Several assistant coaches in the Big Ten told ESPN that they thought Friday night games would negatively affect recruiting. Friday nights are traditionally high school football nights.

Penn State released a statement on Wednesday making it clear that if Delany changes his mind about not asking the school to host a Friday night game, it would decline the request.**

If you are one of those fans who still buys season tickets even knowing that you will only make just a few games, then you are a great coog and not part of the problem.

Not sure I agree with your assessment. Better to have a season ticket holder to attend all home games. What is the point of tying up a premium seat for 2 of 7 home games or 1 of 6. Is the school missing out on on true attendance? It is a valid question.

The school may turn down a espn request on a 11 am kickoff. If the school misses out on tv money that weekend, so be it.

Of course it’s better to have a season ticket holder attend all games rather than just some.
I never said anything about premium seats.
Of course it would be unfortunate if premium seats were tied up.

Every year I end up missing a home game or two. I am just tired of people calling out people for missing games. It’s getting old.

I buy 4 season tickets and have been for about 30 of the 38 years I’ve been a season ticket holder. I only know that one of them will be used for sure (mine) and that sometimes my wife will go with me, depending on what she has going that day. Sometimes my son and grandson will go with me and sometimes my son-in-law and youngest grandson will go with me. But, it has been maybe once a year that all four have been used. But, I keep them just in case. I don’t mind one seat being empty, I can stash my stuff in it.

I would like for everyone to come and fill the stadium, it makes for a much better atmosphere. But the fact is, we all have lives and each has our own priorities. It is not for me to tell someone what they should do with their precious time. I also know that should it ever come down to watching my beloved Coogs or watching my grandson, I would have to go with my grandson – not because I love my Coogs less; but because I love my grandsons more. I surely understand all of those parents who have kids that play on Saturdays and choose their kids over their Coogs. Anyone who doesn’t understand that is just not very smart or is very callous.

So, it all boils down to this, I would love for everyone who loves the Coogs to come if they can. I do and stay until the band leaves; but each should be able to decide for himself and not be lambasted for that decision.

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/795794920191774720