How do we rekindle the buzz around Coog football?

It happens to me as well.

Check back in after the National Championship game in a month. Basketball is king around here these days. Especially in March. Once basketball hits the offseason I would imagine the buzz for football would start picking up.

1 Like

Isn’t that what the Sports Information Director is for? He needs to kick it in gear at least by summer.

Right now there isn’t much to report.

How to rekindle the buzz? Tell coog fans that ut football will be on the sidelines. Not even playing. Just present. It will be a sell out.

Herman was a great marketer .

He literally started marketing the University of Houston the second Ohio State won the National Championship.
Didn’t Herman come up with the H-Town Takeover slogan or at least elevated it to the next level?

He was laser focused in promoting our brand nationally…we now know why…but he was a master at doing thar part of the HC job.

6 Likes

just win, simple the same thing Memphis and UCF have been doing, they have been consistent after their coach leave.

2 Likes

Maybe do something fresh like add a dj to the student section. Or create a new ‘tradition’. We love creating new traditions at our games. It is a tradition to create a new tradition that no one knows about.

6 Likes

How about another 18 minute long chant? That was fun.

5 Likes

Two of Houston’s professional teams, the Texans and the Rockets don’t seem too committed to winning, so perhaps with some success on the gridiron, UH can grab some local attention and support this fall. I know there are plenty of diehard fans I see each game day, but it seems more UH alumni could turn out to support the team.

I have to admit I was somewhat surprised and disappointed in a way with the good turnout at the XFL Houston Roughnecks’ home games at TDECU. 22,000 folks willing to watch a tier 2 professional spring football game, yet with the proud legacy of UH football we struggle for a similar turnout in the fall.

1 Like

Win

2 Likes

Besides the obvious, winning, it helps to have that one (or two) player that can generate buzz among the more passive fan base. Without doing any research, it seems we got the most press and conversation when there was a Case Keenum, Ed Oliver, Greg Ward, or Kevin Kolb to help generate excitement and drive ticket sales to the casual fan base.

Hopefully someone will step up this year and generate some buzz.

The pros attract a different crowd !!

1 Like

Perhaps the pros attract a different crowd, but I would argue that pre-pandemic, UH MBB home games at the FC were becoming one of the hottest tickets in town. Everyone loves a winner.

4 Likes

IMHO, one DJ at the games is one too many. That is what the band is for.
Hope the comment about an 18 minute chant was a joke . . . . .
Also, IMHO, student participation is horrible. Too many options on Saturdays. As more and more students live on campus or close by, hopefully Saturday FB games will become better attended.
Since local media won’t mention UH unless it’s up for National Championships or bad news, we may have to do some big time advertising . . . . .
Many miss the “pre-game” gatherings . . . . . maybe a special location for them all would be beneficial. Too far away for some to walk, provide some sort of ride service . . . . .

5 Likes

We should seriously set up booths at NRG and try to encourage Texan fans who love football but are close to giving up on the Texans.

Win all the Sept. games.

2 Likes

I don’t know why everyone is so obsessed with PRO football, it’s boring, college is much more exciting

5 Likes

College is WAY more exciting!

3 Likes

Winning is the easiest fix.

A harder fix is creating something natural and consistent. Getting the Houston pro sports casuals should not be big priority. Getting Alumni is where you are most likely to do well.

I do believe shasta square is a success with the young crowd. For the older crowd maybe give each lot dessignated tailgate areas on a first come first serve spaces. With those areas having the restrooms with maybe some laydown turf like dynamo had by lucky’s pub for kids/adults to play in lol.

They can try to make the stadium garage roof parking a primo tailgate spot with a good view of the stadium and skyline.

5 Likes

Student participation is amazing!!! If you remember the 90’s there are thousands of more students. I went to a game against Pitt in 1997, announced attendance was 17k. The student section at the time was on the visitor side since the end zone wasn’t there yet. It was the section that when facing the visitor side was the entire left section from about the 20 yard line to the end zone. There were maybe 10 of us for that daytime game.

Now the bad part. We basically have lost a class of freshman that would have done freshman stuff in a normal year, now they are 2 years into zooming. We have another class coming behind them that has also had a paradigm shift when it comes to in person attendance.

So half of the student body, the most rabid being freshman and sophomores with their first taste of freedom, have been zooming for years. What impact that will have is to be seen, but I cannot see it as a positive change.

The marketing department needs to wrap their heads around that or you will have a gap of alumni (like the 90’s) that have little connection to our sports.

3 Likes