I find it particularly disgusting

Art did a good job for us, but I seriously doubt he’d be considered. However, I also seriously doubted CTH would leave.

If they somehow let Briles take over the reins, I will not be renewing my season tickets.

3 Likes

Imagine for a minute the following scenario… 5 years from now, here’s the pecking order in Texas.

1. UT - Herman
  2. A&M -Sumlin
  3. UTSA or TxState - Briles
  4. Baylor - Chad Morris
  5. TCU - Patterson
  6. Texas Tech - Kingsbury
  7. UH - ???

The next round of realignment comes… maybe Big10, ACC or SEC is expanding… maybe the Big12 has dissolved and a new regional P4 conference is forming.

That’s what is at stake right now. We CANNOT afford to get this wrong. Art Briles is going to coach somewhere next year, and there is a VERY strong likelyhood that it will be somewhere in the state of Texas. Imagine that he takes a job at UTSA or TxState and 5 years from now they have passed us by… imaging one of those programs ranked… imagine UTSA building an on campus stadium, or Tx State expanding theirs as they accept their invitation into P4 conference with UT or A&M.

That’s what’s at stake here. So before you completely rule out Briles. Before you threaten to turn your back to UH and deny any affiliation with your Alma mater… consider what could possibly happen if Briles went to a “emerging” mid-level program like UTSA or TxState and did what he did at Baylor. We were there folks… when he arrived at UH in 2004 there were people talking about “how long can we sustain football” and about “should we drop to Division 1-AA” (for FCS). His first year at UH he was paid $200,000 because WE COULDN’T AFFORD ANYONE ELSE.

Think about it… and remember that if we ended up in the scenario above, you may be holding on to those season tickets that you swore you would’t renew if CAB was hired… but you could be sitting in an empty TDECU stadium with a losing team that no one cares about.

It is possible to fade back into obscurity. That’s why we can’t miss with this hire. We need a sure thing.
We absolutely must knock this hire out of the park.

Someone who knows how to coach. Who knows the state of Texas. Who has the recruiting connections. Who has won at the highest level (division 1). Who has turned around programs. Who might have won a couple Big 12 championships. Someone who seems to be a QB guru. Someone who hand picked the “debatably” the greatest QB in UH history" (broke all the NCAA records) and also hand picked a QB that won a Heisman trophy at a school where people said it would be “impossible to win.”

All of us make mistakes. No one is without sin. Quit casting stones.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, deserves a second chance. DON’T RULE OUT ANYTHING.

1 Like

The radio guys in Dallas said CTH is now the third best coach in the Big 12 after OU and TCU. We’ll be fine. Hope we can keep many of the recruits and new guy brings in other good ones to fit his system.

1 Like

I’m hopeful the scenario won’t play out like that. Winning is very, very important but so is keeping your soul. UH cannot hire the second coming of Joe Pa.

3 Likes

NO BRILES. Case closed PERIOD. And bay, no way in hell ut is in any conference with usta/txst 60 miles from DKR Stadium!

1 Like

So morals and ethics mean nothing to you? At best babs was an enabler of his player’s raping of their fellow female students. At worst silence giving consent, he allowed the his players to abuse their fellow students.
As far as second chances go, His first chance was when he screwed his university and his “mentor” by continually applying for other jobs…yes he did that, continually. His ethically challenged methods of leaving, i.e., taking players he was recruiting for U of H to Baylor, while being paid by UH, recruiting players already at UH to go to Baylor, where just a prelude to his ethics in allowing his recruits to abuse women. And yeah he knew about it.
Yeah he may do all the things you think he may do, then again, he would probably violate the confidence placed in him as he has done repeatedly throughout his coaching career.
IF U of H were to bring him back, they would probably be looking for a new president, and AD also. They would definitely be in the market for new season ticket holders, fans, and donors, including me. I lived through his first stint as FB HC. Will not support a second.

3 Likes

Lots of wasted energy here. It’s simply not gonna happen. Nor should it.

I don’t think it’s wasted energy. This is a place to discuss, vent, etc. And there are vocal proponents of this move and this is so pernicious it needs to be shouted down. Though I do agree with you it’s not gonna happen.

I see what you’re saying and it’s a fair point. I’d rather we focused on who we might actually hire. Lot’s of interesting (and realistic) names floating around.

I find your arguments and the fact that you are a proponent of this very offensive and specious. But let’s set that aside for a split second, it doesn’t matter even if you were “right” somehow, which you are not, it would tear the fanbase apart and would be a PR disaster and taint us.

It’s not going to happen and is highly offensive to thousands of fans, die-hards, parents and students.

2 Likes

Agreed.

Look, if we want to win, we need to go after someone (other than BABS) who will win for sure and make him an offer he can’t refuse. There are at least 3 names imo that fit that description/potential: Dana H., Leach, and
Montgomery. I’m sure there are a couple more out there.

It’s near suicidal for our program to bring back Briles.

I wouldn’t care about any of that if Briles was hired. His hiring would mean our leadership had no morals, and I would hope that people like that fail. No matter if it’s at my alma mater…in fact ESPECIALLY at my alma mater. I would want them out of there as soon as possible so someone with decency can come and take over asap. If people like that were in charge at UH, I wouldn’t allow my son to go there… no matter how much i made him a fan in his youth…

2 Likes

Count me as a alum, donor and ticket holder that would withdraw all support from the school if Briles was hired. Can’t compromise my morals to that degree for college athletics. Briles has no place at any school, especially MY school.

3 Likes

Right on. Mrs. Khator will never let that happen. Again, he has a much better chance at the N.F.L… They do not care about morals or ethics there.

This whole argument makes one GIANT wrong assumption: That UH is not good enough to get another great coach. Where is that thought coming from? Briles is a good offensive coach. His teams play no defense, don’t care about special teams, and are annually the most penalized teams. It was true when he was here, and it was true when he was at Baylor. Briles will get to coach somewhere else and he’ll likely have some success, although that success will be limited as it always has been. But to suggest he could go to UTSA or Texas State and pass us up is flat out absurd. I don’t think Urban Meyer could go to one of those schools and pass us up.

As much as I hate what CTH just did to us, it can’t be denied that the program is in far better shape than it was when he got here. We have great recruits, first class facilities already here or coming online soon and a bigger and more excited fan base than we’ve had in a long time. Whoever comes in here is walking into a great situation. We don’t have to, and shouldn’t, settle for someone like Art Briles.

What did Art Briles do at Baylor that is proven and sound fact that you guys are so disgusted by? I know what some of the players did, but what did Briles do? I have watched the documentaries and read the reports, and the only thing that seems in poor judgement was not going to the police immediately about an assault he heard about; an assault that the president, the AD, and a short time later the police also knew about.

Art Briles is not responsible for the actions of others, even under his football program. These players are adults, and they need to be held responsible for their actions. The Waco police have more culpability in my eyes after having seen and heard the reports and 60min investigation. It appears that their “investigations” were not very thorough, but the question still remains, is it Briles’ fault the police didn’t do their job? The answer is no.

Briles has not been proven to have done anything wrong at Baylor. He was used as a scapegoat. That is why he got paid a ton of $$$ and was asked/required to sign a non-disclosure/settlement agreement to keep quiet on the circumstances that occurred at Baylor.

It’s Baylor and its failed board of directors leadership that was responsible for what went wrong up there. See their Title IX director’s comments about their failure to support her function properly. Just to be perfectly clear - Art Briles was not responsible for compliance with Title IX matters up at Baylor University.

2 Likes

My understanding is that he was made aware of a gang rape and failed to report it.