I find it particularly disgusting

I would actually say he wasn’t terrible as a head coach. 8-5 might be unacceptable to us, but i know a lot of teams who would love to have that kind of record in their down years.

I was waiting to make essentially the same comment, but you beat me to it. So, I’ll ditto your comment.

If UH were some down in the mouth, helpless and hopeless program (sound like UH in 1999?) then we might have to settle for any coach who would have us, including Art Briles. Art made his bed and certainly has done no favors for UH. Quite the contrary. And just having him as close by as the Rice-Baylor game made that place a lightning rod. We don’t need it and moreover we cannot afford it.

Hunter will need a special room just to hold all the resumes that are going to flood his office. UH is HOT. We will have our pick from a stack of highly qualified candidates including some from P5 programs. There are some good coaches out there in P5 conferences who have the misfortune of being with programs that will never, and I mean NEVER, compete with the big dogs in their conference. That’s why I’m so amazed at what Mike Leach has done at Washington State - and I’m using him as an example, not pushing his candidacy.

So, be patient everyone. Let these guys who push Briles go about their business. They will get no traction with this administration, rest assured. UH cannot afford to have its reputation trashed by going anywhere near Briles, no matter what the apologists have to say. My 2 cents his take a run at Orlando with the understanding he hires a mad genius to run the offense and offend everyone in the process while blowing up the UH and NCAA record book. That’s about all the NCAA is good for anyway these days. It’s worked before. Might work again.

It wasn’t necessarily his overall record for me. It was his inability to hire good staff and losing to the likes of Texas State and Tulane. Hiring Mike Nesbitt and firing him after 1 game pretty much marked the end of Levine as a legitimate D-1 head coach.

I don’t disagree, I’m just pointing out that he’s not that terrible because he CAN win 8 games a year, even Charlie Strong can’t say that at this point is all. I definitely agreed with his firing and the intricacies you point out.

1 Like