Identifying college football's programs on the verge

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Jim-Harbaugh-Michigan-Wolverines-Jimbo-Fisher-Scott-Frost-North-Carolina-Tar-Heels-college-football-programs-verge-133531643/#

Its good to be on this list.

Where is UConn
lol. On the verge of dropping to FCS
lol.

It is cool UH is on the list. I hate having Baylor on that list but both programs have the same ceiling.

Michigan and Harbaugh are over rated.

2 Likes

From the article:

Most are projecting UCF, Army or Memphis to represent the Group of 5 in a New Year’s Six bowl game this fall.

Army is not part of a G5 conference they can’t get the spot.

2 Likes

Aggies and National Championship is like trying to fit a square in a triangle hole
they don’t go together at all.

2 Likes

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but hasn’t Michigan and Aggie been “on the verge” for like the past two decades or so?

9 Likes

“Wait till next year!” was made famous by 2 teams
The Brooklyn Dodgers in baseball and the Aggies in football
Aggie underachievement officially began in 1940, year after their NC in football, and hasnt ever stopped

The key words there are “AFTER their National Championship”. It’s all about skins on the wall and we don’t have that, YET. In the meantime, I wouldn’t be calling them out.

Depends on what you mean by calling them out. If you’re referencing Aldine, maybe. But in direct reference to the article, I don’t think it’s crazy to say that A&M and Michigan are perpetually on these lists to have breakout years and they almost never deliver.

1 Like

The key game for the aggies will be their yearly match against the razorbacks in Jerry’s palace 
 the razorbacks coached by a former aggie are NOT going roll over and say “me next” THIS YEAR 

Jimbo the Bimbo is just another line of former HCs with great potential but somehow EVENTUALLY flopping big time once they get to College Station 
 and its not that they don’t have the recruits or facilities or fans 
 there is just some curse that has followed them since the Bear left them for Bama decades ago 

1 Like

So we should still be oooing and awing at the power of Italy and Rome because of the Roman Republic and Empire?

I don’t think anyone can argue that the United States has, equaled, if not surpassed, the accomplishments of the Roman Empire. So we have our own skin on the wall.

2 Likes

No need to ooh and ahh but we should respect that they had an empire.

I’m not super impressed with A&Ms results but respect that they are a P5 team and we are not, they play in the best football conference there is and we do not and they have won a National Championship (albeit 80 years ago) but we have never won a national championship or even come close in almost 80 years of playing football.

“next year will be our year”

• Aggie football fans since the dawn of time
1 Like

I’d still be a Cougar over an Aggie

1 Like

No doubt!
I wouldn’t mind us having a National Championship under our belt either.

A&Ms ability to underachieve is LEGENDARY. Their 1940 team was supposed to be even better, and not only lost to an average Texas team when they were no.1, they also blew their bowl game. They had losing seasons during the mid and late 40s when Army was winning every game.Bear Bryant NEVER won a championship there and had the only losing season in his life.His 1957 team was 8-0 no.1 and then lost 3 games in a row, starting with losing 7-6 to Rice! Aggie 1967 team actually won a championship with a 6-4 record, then next year as prime no. 2 contender to Texas, instead went 3-7.
Their 1975 team that had more talent than any in country actually figured out way to beat Texas 20-10, be no.1, then lost next week to Arkansas 31-6! and lost their bowl game to Florida.
Their 76 team was supposed to be dominant. Until underdog Houston beat them 21-10. They didnt lose another game, but too bad, they had already lost to Tech and Houston and put themselves out of the race by mid October.
I could go on and on

Considering all Aggie’s advantages, they are the biggest underachieving chokers on the face of the EARTH, and everyone knows it

2 Likes

No denying that. They should have dominated with their academics, their fan support and their facilities. They have had more than their share of screw ups and blown opportunities. I hesitate to go there because we have had them too and even our own term to describe them.
Still would like to have our own National Championship!

Aggie wishes they had Michigan’s success the past 2 decades. I’m not saying Michigan has killed it. Just that it’s a lot better than aggie.

Their 1992 team finished 12 - 0, won the SWC, then got blown out by Notre Dame in their bowl game
I couldn’t believe it. You dominate everyone else then got killed by Notre Dame
typical Aggies!