Impressive Defensive Scoring Numbers

Good advice. Truth is seldom synonymous with much on this board.
Expert opinions – in overabundance.

The problem with stats is when you apply fairly narrow ones to broad issues and when you start pulling stuff out of them in an effort to normalize them. Both of those things can be (not always but can be) distortive.

2 Likes

I don’t, and I made that clear. I also didn’t want to have an argument on statistical significance. I was suggesting his “scheme” has flaws(regardless of statistical outcome). You can be the numbers guy all you want Manster; I’ll stick to eyeballing his blatant schematic blunders.

If you had said that from the beginning we could have saved a lot of time. You said I changed numbers etc.
Don’t all schemes have flaws? I would suggest that despite the scheme having flaws, and weak and inexperienced corners, the statistical outcome was pretty good.
I will end it here…at the end of the day/game…each defense gives up a certain number of points…whether they blitz every down, play soft or a mix. It’s that number by which they are ultimately judged.

This is where we are going to continue to disagree. Don’t involve context while using statistical evidence as primary basis for your argument.

It’s that number by which they are ultimately judged. <-------- This is highly debatable ,as stats don’t tell the whole story.

Stats are the only thing concrete to judge performance by. It’s true in business and sports. But, in both worlds the numbers are subject to interpretation. In sports, it is the reason we have sports analysts and such.

I remember back during the 1978 mid-term elections some poll had just come out and both major parties we’re claiming the results were good for them. The stats were the same and just as real for both but they came to different conclusions. That’s fair.

1 Like

Results are The concrete way to judge.

From the historical perspective, sports performance is always judged on the numbers (wins/losses, rankings, statistics, etc). While mostly entertaining to discuss, we will never know if a change in scheme would have changed the end results.

schemes have to be based on the talent at hand…i think coach D’nofrio did a good job, overall, with what he had to work with, given our weaknesses in certain defensive areas…When we bring in those talented LBs, and DBs and DEs for this coming class, i think our defense will improve as the talent level improves…

3 Likes

Looking at CBS sports, right on top of the page, UH defense is 47th rushing, 118 passing and 84th overall. Ok What’s impressive about that
Let’s not scapegoat the players. They are not weak. Baffles why one would call them that. This is on CMD and his scheme plain and simple.

We had a hell of a time getting our defense off the field. Look at total defense in the American. We ranked second behind South Florida giving up only 5.37 yards per play. However, look at how many plays our defense had to make!!! We were on the field for about a 140 more plays this year vs USF. And seeing how we run a ball control offense, that makes for a LOT less opportunities for our offense to score.

In the end, numbers do matter, because the only way to win is to score more than your opponent. Anyone who says stats don’t mean anything is full of crap, and conversely, anyone who relies solely on stats is shoveling crap to others. But… STATS ARE FACTS! Those numbers are numerical representations of what was actually in reality accomplished. If I said this is how many points per game on average the UH defense allowed this season, then there is a numerical fact that answers that question. It is an indisputable number.

Now… Meaning that is derived from stats is completely subjective. For instance, if I said we held multiple teams to their lowest points scored in a game means that our defense was good. That is deriving meaning through subjective interpretation from using a numerical fact. The subjective interpretation - we have a good defense, and the numerical fact - we held multiple teams to their lowest points scored in the season. This, I believe, is xsmithcoog’s point. I don’t care.

Some people do not like the defensive scheme, e.g. xsmithcoog. I think the defensive scheme overall got us desirable results despite being different that CTO’s scheme. That is why it is not worth arguing with each other regarding the subject anymore: 1) xsmithcoog, manster, and myself have discussed this ad nauseum and 2) how one feels about a scheme is completely subjective. So I say that D’Onofrio did a good job, xsmith says he didn’t, I say I am happy CBJ is gone, xsmith wants CMD to follow CBJ out the door. There - argument over.

To show how long I have been on these damn message boards, I remember a very similar conversation happening when CAB was here. There was a large contingent of posters that felt (there are those “feelings” again) the Briles’ offense was “high schoolish,” that it didn’t belong on the D1 level, and they mocked that there was no playbook. All the while, that group of people ignored the fact that ole Benedict’s offense was scoring a lot of points, a lot more than we had been scoring under Dismel. What they also ignored is that our defense was allowing a hell of a lot of points as well. Yet… this group continued to point at the offense, and say it was a joke and we would never win anything, etc. It was that same offense that people are trying to copy today, the offense that turned Rape U into a national name for a hot minute. What happened… Uncle Dave forced CAB into hiring a better D coordinator a couple of years in, and lo and behold, that high school offense won a conference championship because our defense started showing up.

It reminds me of this year. The 2017 offense averaged 28.3 points per game; take out the highest and lowest scoring games to remove outliers, and we still are at 27 points per game (factual statement). Our defense allowed 23 points per game; take out the highest and lowest scoring games to remove outliers, and it is still 22.7 points per game (factual statement). My point is you can complain about the defensive scheme all you want - just like those guys complained about Benedict’s offense back in the day - but when I look at our defense only allowing 23 points a game on average and our offense only scoring 28.3 point a game on average, I say the offense is what needs to be fixed first. Against the offenses that we have to face, allowing 23 ppg is phenomenal (subjective statement), and only scoring 28 ppg is abysmal (subjective statement).

3 Likes

To quote Judge Haller from ‘My Cousin Vinney’: HTown, that is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out conclusion – "Wasted on these numbskulls!"

1 Like

That statement is weird. If i showed you the score of the tech game. 27-24 you’d say “oh but we only lost due to a field goal”. We were horrible through out the entire game but somehow the score reflects it was closer than what it actually was. We had 427 rushing yards to 521. 5 turnovers to 1. We held almost the same amount of possession (30) and most of the stats are close. But, can you really say that game was close?

2 Likes

I believe what he was saying, and he can correct me if I am wrong, is a variation of “winning is the only thing that matters.”

That’s exactly what I was saying. The tech game being an example. Even though the score was close we still lost. And we have played many other games where the score was close but a loss is a loss.

we lost that game strictly because Allen was still playing QB…Even Postma, for all his failings, was better than Allen, and finally got into the game to spark something/…our best QB, King, did not have the opportunity to play that day, as his injury and practice situation did not allow for it… Our running game played well, and our defense stopped Tech time after time…we did NOT play horrible…and if King had been able to play QB that day, we would have won…

1 Like

I agree. Allen played horribly, Noble had some very bad snaps including the roller-turnover.

1 Like

There are several reasons for that. First would be D not getting off field on 3rd down…that’s on them but 39% isn’t terrible.
UH played a lot high tempo offenses and our own Offense played quick…so D saw a lot of plays.

<3 you sgt awesome.

1 Like