It makes dollars but not sense

PAC 12 travel wouldn’t be bad at all if UH plus three other regional schools were invited. For example, let’s say UH, TT, TCU, and OSU were invited.

We’d play each of those schools as members of our pod. That’s 3 regional driving distance games.

We’d play 2 games per year with each of the other 3 pods.
Mountain pod 2 games, one home and one away.
California pod 2 games, one home one away.
Northwest pod 2 games, one home one away.

Playing the other pods would equal 6 games yearly with 3 of those being home games. That added to our own three pod games puts us at 9 games played, 6 of those being a combination of home and regional games.

We’re left with 3 OOC games, which could all be regional, Tulane, SMU, UTSA, LSU, Arkansas, etc.
such scheduling wouldn’t be bad at all with only 3 flights west per year. Especially when considering the B12 will put us to such far away destinations as West Virginia, Florida, Kansas, Iowa, and Utah.

The extra money, prestige, stability, and the exampled scheduling makes an offer from the PAC too good to turn down. We take it, or forfeit it to someone eager to take our spot.

1 Like

The Wedge in Newport Beach…

The Wedge at Balboa Island is awesome, one of a kind.

I lived in HB right after graduating from UH. I have friends that still ride it or do it on a bogey board.

I’m north of Seattle. 4 easy road trips for me, plus the rest are all places my wife would happily go to, especially being from Boulder.

1 Like

Give me a break, how many UH fans are going on road trips to PAC 12 country. Its not going to happen.

I meant Newport. The surf shop where I rented my first board was Huntington. When I took it back I had eleven stitches in my lip. They stitch it up right there on the beach. Then wrote out a bill for $338.

While they were stitching me up this classic surfer from a bad surfing movie asks, “where you from, man?”

“Houston.”

“Maybe you should try El Segundo.”

I could tell by the laughing it was a pretty funny joke.

1 Like

Lots of fun dreams here. I like the PAC, but a PAC16 would be the 4 new schools with Utah, Colorado, and the two AZ schools in the Eastern division. Not bad destinations but not the Pacific coast. The Pacific would be only the two cross over games each year. Guess that would save some travel money as a fan only having to pick one crossover destination a year…

But you’re talking about USC though! This is a school that is on par with OU, Michigan, Ohio State, etc in both championship titles and prestige so to get only 50,000 or so fans to attend its game is very underwhelming! Especially when you consider Michigan and Ohio State both filled their 100,000+ seat stadium every game!

You better watch this video before you start raving about these California places! They have lost a lot of their prestige and tourist destination titles.

Ohio State had attendance of like 73k for there game against Tulsa. Lowest attendance some 1970’s.

1 Like

What? Don’t recognize Lizzo?

I’m pretty sure my Wife and I would make at least one a year.

Great story. The first time I went surfing at Bolsa Chica I got knocked out by my own longboard. My budies were great surfers. You get knocked out? You try again. I have seen all body types on a board. Perseverance always pays off.

Fair assessment , plus the cost factor of driving vs plane fare, rental car, etc…Especially if
you have a family

Still for 4 hours more, if single, I’ll book it versus to going over to wacko town, texas.

2 Likes

Yea, well…I don’t have 11 minutes of cleaning the burger king trash and straw paper out of my car so add that onto your time.

1 Like

Ya know, when we made the drive to Birmingham that year we played Vanderbilt in a bowl game, the wife and I decided we aren’t making long drives anymore. As active professionals with one child, the opportunity cost is too much. The 45 minute flight to New Orleans in 2019 vs a 5+ hour drive was life-changing.
With that said, the only drive we will make in the new big 12 is to Waco. So for us, UCLA/USC is a way easier trip than flying to KC, or De Moines or whatever.
That’s just like, ya know, my opinion about it.

1 Like

One word of caution in WV. If you don’t sing “country roads” with them they take you at musket-point and force you to dance to “Thank God I’m a Country Boy.”

Same reason UT and OU are leaving the B12 - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

1 Like

If they make me sing it will end the tradition immediately. Once had our church choir director stop mid song to announce to everybody that I had hit a correct note.

1 Like