It's official this coaching staff

Unbelievable… 4 out of 9 coaches, never coached college level… . 3 out of the 4 never coached at any level.

Perhaps someone can rationalize this , I don’t get CMA thought process

Glad , we didn’t play UTSA, that would have been a loss

2 Likes

Which 3 never coached football? That’s not true

No doubt. I was relieved we didn’t play UTSA too. You’re right, that would’ve been a loss.

1 Like

Listen friends:
As bad as this season has been going you ought to show up for our last home game.
Consider this:
Every single one player on our squad put their body on the line. Yes they do get a scholarship but at what price.
You have a Navy Team coming in. These gentlemen are not in for the cfp but for the love of the game. They will be on the REAL LINE OF FIRE SOON ENOUGH.
Regardless of how disappointed we all are SHOW UP.
GO COOGS

6 Likes

Casey, Guiton, and Carrel had never been on field coaches before (2 were grad assts and 1 was an analyst). Blum had never coached above high school level.

2 Likes

That’s a dubious way to count it. I would definitely consider GA or Analyst work to be coaching experience.

Ok. Original poster made sound like we hired 4 tennis players to coach FB. Regardless there is some inexperience there. I’m sure a good portion of it had to do with budget. CMA and Saban don’t have same assistant pool of $.
Regard Blum…I don’t know what kind of coach he is as far as Dline…he might be really good…but that hire was all about making Big Ed comfortable. There had to be the fear that after Herman left, Ed might sit a year and head to Bama or Clemson.

I think a lot of major hiring inexperienced coaches had little to do with budget and more to do with the fact he just thought they were good coaches. Keep in mind I believe last year we had the largest assistant coaches budget of all the g5 schools including BYU. If we don’t this year I’m sure we are near the top. Look back at sumlins first staff at UofH and the quality hires he made, with a minuscule budget compared to what major has even when you factor in increasing coaches salaries that you find today

2 Likes

Ok, is this better:

We have 4 position coaches that had no college position coaching experience prior to this season and 3 of them had no position coaching experience at all.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a much better way of putting it.

1 Like

and let his Offensive Coordinator call the game instead of him. He is suppose to be a Head Coach, so act like one.

Fertitta should pay the buyout since he insisted on it being ridiculously high. If I were a coach, especially a new untried one, I would jump at that contract. Guaranteed work or the university gets soaked if they fire me.

1 Like

MAYBE Herman will hire his old OC back after this season.

Here he’s available lets get him as our OC

Guess Stitt didn’t happen in Montana

1 Like

Levine did not have the money Apple has for Assistant Coach’s. The results are the samwe

1 Like

I still think part of Herman’s rush out the door was the same as Sumlin’s: he knew he was losing a lot of talent that he hadn’t adequately replaced and didn’t want to get exposed. I’m annoyed at losing to Tulane too, but I don’t think we’re as light years ahead of the conference as we were before, and for the most part we haven’t been far behind our opponents, about what I’d expect to see out of an inexperienced team with inexperienced coaches. At least now in a rebuilding year we win more than we lose, unlike 2004, 2010, 2012, or 2014, not to mention a majority of years before 2002. This is more like 2005, 2007, 2008, and 2013.

1 Like

I disagree. I think with both coaches it was about Big name P5 schools in a recruiting hotbed that draw 80k plus when they suck throwing $25 million in contract money at them. It’s not like Herman and sumlin turned down similar programs in prior years (and South Carolina isn’t a similar program).

In Levine’s first year we got absolutely pounded by: Texas State, ECU, Tulsa, UCLA and La Tech damn near put 1000 yards on us. We also let an average SMU drop 70+ on us thanks to an insane number of turnovers.

Some of y’all I’m convinced didn’t actually pay attention during that season, because this year is light years ahead of that. Is it where we want to be? Absolutely not, but we lost 3 extremely close games this year. Seasons like 2015 are awesome because they aren’t common. I think we contend for a conference title next year and this year. Nobody in this league has someone like D’Eriq at QB.

4 Likes

Ouch, man, that season was a nightmare…and we gave that disaster 3 years

1 Like