It's official this coaching staff

No spy on a QB who can run, but shaky throwing. He killed us all day.

And until the second half we never played press D. So throws were easy.

We get a lead for 15 seconds and we drop the CBS back behind the stick. Unbelievable.

2 Likes

I 100% agree. You get the lead with 6 min to in the 4th and now you go soft and decide to allow throws to be completed by a qb who is not used to throwing and WR who are used to blocking and not catching. We play not to lose we donā€™t play to win.

3 Likes

So you passed out at half-time and just now woke up?

The defense was number 13 in country in interceptions before tonite at 1.3 per game . They got there 13 TH of year toniteā€¦last years defense had 7 all year in 13 games.

CMA needs to do some major (pardon the pun) evaluations with this staff in the offseason and we need to find out if the admin will pony up the money for a proper staff.

4 of the 9 coaches had never coached at the college level before; 3 of those guys hadnā€™t coached at any level prior to this season. Thatā€™s a recipe for failure right off the bat. And, that doesnā€™t even include the first year head S&C coach. Question is, was CMA forced to hire cheap or did he decide to hire these guys on his own?

I imagine some of the coaches may get poached anyway when staffs are allowed to add a 10th member this offseason so changes will occur; just hope CMA is willing to hire the right guys.

3 Likes

If factual, this explains a lot about the results of this years team . . . . .

Applewhite had to throw a staff together and quickly throw a recruiting class together after Herman decimated both. The results show.

Completely agree about the coaching staff, and, most importantly, the head coach.

The setup of the staff is a little weird to me also (I know Herman has his staff set up the same way). For example, a couple of the coaches coach 5 starters-the Oline coach and Clay Jennings (assuming he coaches the nickle back along with both safeties and both corners). Now, for the life of me I donā€™t understand why we have a full time assistant coach (not a GA) coachinig one starter-Tight Ends and why DiOnofrio and Carrel both coach linebackers when we only start 3 linebackers because we are basically a 3-3-5 time 95% of the time. To me, hire a real special teams coach (we donā€™t have one) and let that guy coach TEā€™s. Also, knowing Diā€™Onofrion coaches linebackers Iā€m surprised we didnā€™t have him coach that group completely and do the tradional thing and have two DB coaches, especially knowing we were going to use the nickle the majority of the time.

2 Likes

We are 99th in total defense and 36th in total offense (yards).

We are 65th in scoring offense and 43rd in scoring defense.

Last year we were 30th in scoring D and 26th in scoring O.

Last year we were 13th total D and 36th in total offense.

This year we are 76th in turnover margin. Last year we were 107.

The 2016 team defense was also 13th in the nation in yards per play. Our D this year is allowing almost a yard and a half more per play.

I think it would difficult to argue that this yearā€™s team hasnā€™t had a light yearā€™s easier schedule than last year. Statistically the only way this yearā€™s team is better is by turnover margin.

Hey but at least we ruined the tailgating atmosphere for the loyal die hards with that ugly eye sore of practice facility.

I say stick with all the coaches another year unless Major himself is going to pay for the coordinator buy outs. It makes no sense to sink more $$$ into a depreciating asset which is this regime. Forking over $1000 for tickets is going to be a debated decision in my house next year. Game day atmosphere at Calhounā€™s is twice as good as the stadium and the drinks are half the price. I love my Coogs, but weā€™re an average program this year and there is little to indicate that the arrow is pointed up.

6 Likes

Herman took our best running back with him to Texasā€¦The Westfield commit, Young, has stepped in as a pure freshman and become UTā€™s best running backā€¦

1 Like

You know maybe you are right. Keep everyone and have them tank next year that way we can have a new staff sooner rather than later. Why hire a meachum to help extend this nightmare.

Levineā€™s downfall was his OCā€™sā€¦and Bush may have been the worst we have had since the Helton years. While Johnson is a rookie and certainly has made some head scratching decisions, his offensive play calling is leap years better than Bushā€™s were.
Tulane has a decent team and has five wins with one left. This Tulane bunch is much, much better than the team that came in here and destroyed our homecoming festivities under Levine.
The loss to Tulsa this year IMO is our only totally embarrassing loss and every coach we have ever had did the same at one time or another.
I think rookie Johnson gets another year and I expect improvement on offense with an more experienced King at quarterback and at least one solid backup. Hopefully we get to the point where our OL actually run blocksā€¦a running game would make a world of difference in offensive play callingā€¦
Defense is another story. We are soft and inconsistent, especially our defensive backfield. We seem to have folks out of position way too much, which could be a combination of lack of athleticism and poor coaching. Our linebackers are painfully slow to react to plays and once again you have to wonder why the other teams are getting isolation with their fast receivers being covered by our linebackers.
The DC probably gets another year but I must say I have been very disappointed with his defense and the ability to make halftime adjustments.
I am one who is looking forward to next year as this year has basically been a wash. The game Friday will no doubt draw the smallest crowd of the year and that should send a big message to the administrationā€¦

2 Likes

I think the game on Friday will likely have the smallest attendance of any game in the history of TDECU stadium.

Not too many folks in the City of Houston will pay (or even attend free) to watch such a poorly coached team.

4 Likes

It is all coaching. It was painful to watch up-close how a much more highly talented team of athletes (it wasnā€™t even close when you saw the athletes up close) get trucked by smaller and slower Tulane players.

Tulane is well coached. When they have lost this season it is due to a talent difference and not because they donā€™t play good, well disciplined football.

2 Likes

Agree with most of what you are saying, but we do not have the talent we have had the past few years. Boy do we miss Brandon Wilson and some of the other great players that graduated.
We need running backs. Perhaps the Mitchell kid will be a future star but Catalon has been a huge disappointment to this point. Our best running back went to Texas with Herman.
Applewhite is currently recruiting his first full class and i expect it to be a good bunch. I am willing to give him time to develop as a coach but I would hope he has his eyes on our assistantsā€¦

1 Like

We are stocked with talent. And a good coach (or good OC and DC) could prove that in one off-season.

1 Like

Iā€™m more amazed that people think that CMA is capable of putting together a competent coaching staff !

2 Likes

This coaching staff is NOT Levine 2.0, and I agree with sentiments above that Levine was underrated. His loyalty to an offensive coordinator was his undoing. BUSH WAS HORRIBLE!

Johnson is also unimaginative and predictable, but has had moments were his play calling was effective. However, he needs to go at the end of this year. There is no excuse to bring him back other than as a QB coach.

In regards to the Tulane game, Willie Fritz is a hell of a coach (I wanted to hire him away from Tulane last year). Major had his ass handed to him by a better coach, but it must be taken into account that Major is a first-year head coach.

This is a good Tulane team that might make bowl eligibility, but it is still another terrible offensive performance in a litany of bad performances this year; Arizona, Tech, Temple, Tulsa, and Tulane.

This is what I thought it would be, another Levine hire.

1 Like