It's the players fault

Saban is really not the issue. He has been a success at all colleges where he has been the head coach.

I don’t know his life story.

I will be surprised if CMA is successful as a head coach…well, maybe high school.

Are there any Mack Brown disciples who are now head coaches and have been successful ? I can’t think of any.
Herman, although I cannot call him a disciple and it is too early to tell how successful he will be. He may be toast if Orlando moves on.

1 Like

No !

I was NEVER on that ship !!

So do you think Charlie Strong and staff is the reason USF is 7-0? Or, is the talent level this year at USF compared to other AAC teams better than the talent level compared to other Big 12 teams Charlie had in Austin? I think Charlie has more to work with at USF in the AAC than he had in Austin in the Big 12. Meaning the players are helping Charlie succeed this year.

2 Likes

This is the problem with college football, instant results are now expected. We definitely need a better product on the field but I’m not seeing that many coaches out there that can bring that instantly to a team. So it just seems unrealistic to give up on CMA already. Yes we are seeing a first year coach learn on the job but shouldn’t that be expected?

2 Likes

Then they shouldn’t be paid experienced head coach money. If you want the contract, be ready for the expectations

5 Likes

This is spot on.

100% agree. CMA has one thing to say IN PUBLIC "We need to Coach better and have better execution"
Nothing more, nothing less. Less stop the window dressing right here, right now.
We have no fundamentals.
We blow assingments
We are out of alignment
We have an erratic OL
Our safeties are all over the place in the second half
Ed Oliver plays hurt when he should have been given a week off. Just look how he was walking around. He looked like he was slightly limping. The Tv announcer mentioned it. Ed wants to play? We owe it to him to seat him down and get him healthy. What happened to Greg was a disgrace. He should have never played hurt like he did.
I don’t want to hear a Coach saying that when we have the record that we have. I am very disappointed in CMA. Pissed off is a better word. Clear enough?

6 Likes

I also think that’s part of the thought process and making an internal hire. When you make a continuity hire you are assuming at least partly that there will be less growing pains and the team will pick up where it left off. Not only was our head coach on staff last season but we are running the same offense of scheme and supposedly the same defense of scheme (although the playcalling on defense is quite different). Also, The terminology I’m both sides of the ball is supposed to be the same. Add to that four of the assistant coaches this year were involved with the program last year -rod grace, carrel the lb coach, Pope, and Casey.

Yuracheck had made a comment earlier in the year that he hoped the Applewhite hire would be similar to what you are seeing at Boise State where they keep the same systems and still have success even if the coaches change. With all that said, if he knew there was gonna be that much growing pain and you were going to change the defense anyway we might as well have gone out and done a real national search and gotten the best coach available.

1 Like

Yeah right, it’s all on Saban at Alabama to win with 22 starting five star athletes…lol…

1 Like

Everyone in the stadium knows what plays UH will run. Run up the middle on first down, etc. If we know that, what makes them think the other coaches can’t.

Oversimplification helps no arguments

1 Like

There are plenty of teams with high level recruits (maybe not Bama level) that don’t have success that equals their recruiting level. There are plenty of teams that play way above their recruiting rankings.

What’s the difference? Coaching. Saban gets the recruits, but unlike some coaches, his on field success meets or exceeds his recruiting success

1 Like

How many coaches are on Saban’s level? Why are we using Saban to compare anything? He’s a total anomaly, not a realistic standard for most programs. Maybe use a coach closer to Earth. lol

5 Likes

I believe the overall premise is correct, coaches obviously matter and play the biggest role in college football. That’s why these guys are getting paid so much. But like has been pointed out, just because you can point to instant success like Herman or a Patterson staying long term at TCU, they are not the norm and should not be considered what everybody can do.

And that is what cost Les Miles his job, and he won a national championship…

He and his staff recruited them.

Big part of coaching.

So you are saying our staff ought to recruit players like Bama and USC, MIchigan, UT, etc? I know what you are saying and coaching is a big part. But it is unfair that some want Applewhite’s head considering he has not coached a full year…personally I can’t wait until next year when he can plug in one of his quarterbacks to run our offense…

In most cases, internal hires are due to pure ass laziness and having an AD that does not have enough experience and connections.

This was/is the problem with Rhodes and Hunter IMHO.

While RK and TF have been nothing but spectacular in their elevation of UH over the past few years, their desire to improve the profile of UH athletics as the Front Porch to the university ( which I agree with), they have to know that the most critical hires are the AD and the Head Football coach. Having said that, the last 2 AD’s were mediocre at best, and 2 of 3 FB coaches were/are suspect, to say the least. By the by, they were both “down the hall” hires. Lazy !!

I agree with most of what you say…this was a continuity hire no doubt, but I don’t think it was a lazy hire by an extent. We interviewed decent coaching prospects from the outside. From what I heard, the guy from OU was our first pick, but he wouldn’t leave for now obvious reasons. so it finally went down to Applewhite and Orlando, and I have to agree with the decision that was made. Once Opie gets his kids in here, gets some valuable head coaching under his belt, I think he will be just fine. He has already IMO proved he can recruit…and that will get even better when we get back to winning…

2 Likes