Josh Heupel Contract extension

Didn’t see this yet on here…

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/central-florida-ucf-knights-signs-josh-heupel-contract-extension-2023/gb87aoq7gesf1dvqz82qbntwx
UCF signs Josh Heupel to contract extension through 2023 season

Wonder how long he will stay… :thinking:

UCF is doing it right

1 Like

If Lincoln Riley leaves…

1 Like

Getting that win against a hot :fire: Memphis team was impressive. The same Memphis team that bury UH.

He will be there till Dec 2019.

1 Like

Yeah , I give it 2 yrs tops. If they have another undefeated season next year or win the conf again, forget it. He gone

Sadly , winning the conf is the highest achievement for a coach in the American it seems. Bowl game outcome is irrelevant. Maybe I’m wrong

2 Likes

BREAKING NEWS: Heupel interviewing with Florida State and Tennessee

2 Likes

Not really. Missouri crushed them 65-33 a few weeks before, and hapless East Carolina scored 41 against them. They struggled to beat a 5-7 SMU team, and UH essentially played the JV against them. UCF was at home and had a highly recruited backup QB with some experience.

1 Like

If so it will just prove how many decent coaches are idiots. If you are at a school that can win 10+ games every year and go undefeated in the best ones, you should never leave.

Contract extensions are just smoke signals from an agent that the cost of hiring away a particular new coach has just increased.

1 Like

Depends on who makes the offer. No AAC school is going to be able to convince a coach not to take a job at a Texas or Oklahoma. Even P5 schools have difficulty with that. The goal is that they be more attractive than Baylor and Ole Miss.

Contracts are a waste of paper at the G5 level as they only protect a bad coach !

4 Likes

Our extensions for Tom Herman brought in some money. So there’s that!

3 Likes

24-0 in last 2 years…and didn’t even get a whiff of getting in the CFP.

1 Like

Trying to conprehend your response from my post. But ok!! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

They aren’t a waste…they put our conference mates in a position to have legally binding buyout amount in the event if/when said coaches leave.

I.e. if Briles does leave we pick up an easy million dollars for having the vision to sign him to an extension. We are able to leverage both outcomes.

Now for the way Tilman structured the Applewhite contact…I dont like it…it limited us to who we could hire and we are seeing the results of the caliber type of coach that would agree to that type of deal

No doubt!

Which is why most coaches would leave in a heartbeat if given an opportunity in a “P5”. Hate that designation.
For the younger coaches, it’s about proving yourself and moving up the ranks. Kinda crappy that going undeafeated barely gets you a pat on the back.

His original deal called for a $12 million buyout if he left before the bowl game of his third season. If that didn’t change I’m sure he’ll be there at least 2 more deals-even blue blood P5 schools would probably balk at that amount.

Not everyone is like Kendall Briles and Todd Graham; maybe Heupel is one of the good guys.