Just when Japan and Hong Kong thought they had licked COVID19

It’s coming back with a vengeance.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/coronavirus-is-back-with-a-vengeance-in-places-where-it-had-all-but-vanished/ar-BB17eAg9?li=BBnb7Kz

Things that make you go hmmmm…

Key Quote:

“Pretending that it is [over] because we all want it to be over is not the answer,” he said. “It is indeed part of the problem.”

So maybe the answer is getting people healthy so when they contract it (and they will) they have a much better chance.

3 Likes

As a long term goal sure. But the keys I got from the article was that because they got a handle on and over their initial hump efficiently they now have the dexterity to handle these flare-ups even more effectively with targeted approaches and better treatments.

2 Likes
  1. People with disabilities exist. So do people with non-weight related pre-existing conditions. No amount of running outside will fix diabetes, for example, and that alone is nearly 10% of the population. Another (non exclusive) ~8% has asthma. That’s a substantial population of the US that’s at high risk regardless of their workout routine.

2. Weight loss, assuming we can achieve a nigh on impossible level of mass adherence, takes months to see any substantial progress.

Look, I get it, as someone who exercises literally daily, exercise is helpful. It’s strictly necessary for my personal mental and physical health. But the reality is that there’s a lot of people who, even in the best case scenario, are going to be at risk. Exercise isn’t magic.

1 Like

T-Moar the data is clear, obesity is a major issue with Covid. America is obese. There is no candy coating (no pun intended) anymore. It just is and like the UK and France we need to tackle the problem.

if we can’t get people to wear a frickin’ mask, we’re not going to be able to make them put down the cheeseburger or the beer

6 Likes

Yes, obesity is a major factor, but:

a) it’s far from the only factor, and

b) we’ve been collectively trying to reduce our average BMI for longer than I’ve been alive

Given those factors, I don’t think weight loss en masse is a pragmatic approach from a public health standpoint. It’s certainly a fantastic idea on an individual level if you want to reduce your chances of dying of coronavirus and increase your general fitness, but it doesn’t guarantee anything.

1 Like

Bio Warfare…is what I think is going on.

1 Like

I’d support something like a “President’s Fitness Program “, if I remember what that was I think…
Advertising to promote physical activity , without joining a gym , type thing. It would have a small percentage impact overtime. Certainly don’t see it
as having much impact on current pandemic now
however.

In my extended family, I think there are at least
2 adult individuals that I would say are addicted to
video games. Know another guy as well that is borderline addicted. They spend rather significant sums of money too on this online stuff. Sad to say,
even my kids spend too much time onscreen. But
I recognize it at least and it’s up to me to remedy that.

1 Like

I’m an adult addicted to video games lol. But I also work out 6 times a week and eat well.

My kids play them too, but there are hard time limits and we make sure to spend at least an hour a day outside. It’s all about balance!

Also doesn’t Japan legit have a fat tax?

All that said, obesity is only one of the co morbities that put people at risk of complications for COVID.

The curve in Texas continues to turn and flatten. All good!

Over 150k deaths now and projected to be near 220k by November 1st. Terrible!

1 Like

New all time high of 313 reported deaths in Texas today, big load of new cases which has made a little uptick on new cases average. Still over 3 times where we want to be in positive test rates. They made a new graphs for deaths to show when they occurred instead of when reported, which is a 9 day lag.

https://twitter.com/TexasDSHS/status/1288586911838277635/photo/1

1 Like

Warning everyone… the second this thread gets political, it will be deleted.

Very odd definition of all good, but at least you are consistent

2 Likes

I heard on national news report that Texas had changed how it was reporting Covid deaths but nothing was explained. Could this be what they were referring to?

Good point, I probably shouldn’t have stated “all good”, but after the last 1.5 months to have 11 days of the trends going in the right direction and continue to go in the right direction we are much better off than we were and the future looks much brighter if we (Texans) continue to do what we’ve been doing.

I would much rather be speaking to the positive due to the current trends than to speak to doom and gloom all the time.

I believe so, I guess so that it is more accurate in the long run which makes sense. The only downside is I guarantee at least a few people will see the new chart, not read, and use it as “proof” deaths are falling dramatically. Hopefully not too many because the last thing we need is false hope everything is good now which would lead to another spike in cases.

2 Likes