Kareem Jabbar laughs out loud over MJ named greatest college player

Not sure which I’m more impressed with, your description of Clyde’s dunk or the fact that you sat next to Jerry West at a basketball game.

4 Likes

Lol. Sitting by West wasn’t by design. I honestly didn’t know who I was sitting by. I spent the rest of the day wishing I had gotten his autograph

3 Likes

The Logo. Possibly the most iconic sports league logo in the world.

2 Likes

All around player I’m sticking with Jordan. Come fly with me!:sunglasses:

Jordan was the best ever in the NBA, IMO.

But not in college. I heard somebody (ESPN guy or somebody like that) say that the only person who could keep Jordan under 20 points per game was Dean Smith. Funny, but Jordan wasn’t someone who put up big numbers in college that I could remember.

Jordan was a good college player, but there were lots better. I don’t think anybody thought he would be who he turned out to be.

I was able to watch Hersey Hawkins play 3 or 4 times in college. He was really good. My guess is that he had significantly better numbers than Jordan. JMHO.

1 Like

I remember in the 90s there was a joke in the NBA that the only guy who could stop Michael was his coach Dean Smith.

Pistol Pete has to be in the top 5. He played three seasons and scored more career points than anyone.

Part of the 3 Ms…Murphy-Mount-Maravich

The Pistol played for a real weak team. He led them in scoring and assists. If there had been a 3 point shot he would have averaged over 45 points a game.

I still remember him in the NIT as he went coast to coast, dribbled behind his back, then between his legs and passed to a wide open teammate under the basket. The ball went through the teammates hands and hit him in the face lol.
Pistol was a one man show. A white globetrotter if he had wanted to be

Not sure if you are aware but Pistol Pete avg 44 pts/game over 3 seasons. Ranks #1 all-time pretty sure. If i recall correctly Big E was somewhere in top 15 n Birdsong was in top 20 w/ all time NCAA scorers.

pistol was playing in a game over at Fonde with E and he went up for a shot, E jumped to block it AND PETE rolled it down his right arm to his left and scooped the ball it for a layup and ran out of the gym since the shot won the game. It was just incredible.

5 Likes

MJ played in a watered down league that had just expanded with the likes of the Raptors, Heat, Grizzlies, etc. If I was drafting a team today, I am not sure if I would draft Magic or Bird. Those guys played in a league that went 10-11 players deep. Imagine how deep the league would be with 5-6 less teams today.

Lebron did not play in college or he might have been one of best since he was built like a man in high school.

Pete Maravich:
Soph: 43.8 ppg
Junior: 44.2 ppg
Senior: 44.5 ppg
Career: 44.2 ppg

Next closet to Maravich in points per game is Oscar Robinson with 33.8 PPG then Elvin Hayes with 31 ppg.

1 Like

1 Like

Maravich had the disadvantage of not playing during the 3 point shot era until the very end of his NBA career. Jordan played his entire career during the 3 point era. We don’t know how many more points per game Maravich would have averaged in the NBA. Still, the metric most pundits look at is NBA titles. Jordan had six (6) and Maravich had none (0).

The other metric is NBA scoring champion title. Jordan had ten (10) and Maravich had one (1). Put it all together, Jordan is the leader between the two, but IMO Jordan is a close second to Kareem Abdul Jabbar as the GOAT.

They are talking about college.

Lew Alcindor Kareem Abdul Jabbar
How many ncaa championships?
Michael Jordan
Regarding college Mr. Sky hook is hands down #1
Comparing the two?
We can never compare who is better why?
Because it is basically impossible.
Was Montana better than Brady?
Some will argue Montana never lost a Super Bowl Brady did.

The nba was great at marketing. Recently they made decisions against human rights. I am choosing to not watch anymore.

5 Likes

I stopped watching NFL games in 2016. I get so much more done on Sundays. I stopped watching NBA games. It went from an escape from day to day to agenda driven. The Cowboys wanted to put a patch on their uniforms to honor the 5 cops that died protecting a BLM march and were denied. Now…

4 Likes

I can think of one Cotton Bowl that Montana should have lost.

Unfortunately, the current Guinness beer commercial featuring Joe Montana converting the two point conversion that won the game for the Irish serves as a constant reminder of the Ice Bowl defeat and the LONG drive home from Dallas to Houston in cold, icy road conditions.

1 Like