Kelvin Sampson contract?

The down side to Kellen as CIW is zilch.
And both sides know future contracts are basically just paper. What it amounts to is loyalty and appreciation and a sense of family and community.

When a small group of people turn something around they create a bond. There are many examples in American business. They don’t stay together forever but they usually set things up so the entity remains successful.

I have confidence that Renu, Tilman, and Kelvin all have a mutual goal in the end.

2 Likes

In my opinion, Kelvin hasn’t earned Marshall pay. Cronin pay maybe so far. Marshall has 10 tourney wins over the last 6 seasons. If we go to the tourney 3 straight years and at least one of those tourneys we make the Sweet Sixteen, then we can approach a Marshall type pay conversation.

2 Likes

What if we made a final four this year?

Also, one could design a contract to automatically do a pay raise for reaching certain landmarks such as sweet 16’s, Final Fours, or consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances. Personally, that is how I would handle it. Make it so if the Coogs reach all the milestones listed he would be a top 5 paid coach. If he won two national championships 10 million :slight_smile:

The CIW tag is alluring to other schools searching for a new coach. It is not uncommon for a CIW to get hired by another school before the wait is up as the CIW is seen as someone who is qualified and ready to coach.

1 Like

Well, it’s very obvious that the basketball program will be making, finally, lots of money for itself. If there were this many sellouts this year, next year, there’ll be more. I expect season ticket sales to be through the roof.

Just out of curiosity, what did Guy Lewis make in 1984, adjusted for inflation?

“What if we made a final four this year?”

It’s a big if but since you bring that up, Greg Marshall did go to a Final Four in 2013. Lost in the second round in 2014 and then made the Sweet Sixteen in 2015. Then he got a raise from $1.85 million to $3 million plus bonuses. If we insist on comparing him to Greg Marshall, then just one Final Four shouldn’t be enough (for Greg Marshall money). There should be continued success to make Greg Marshall money.

Less than $1 million adjusted for inflation. Different time, different leadership, different priorities.

Shaggy - I’m not being a jerk…honest question…let’s compare CKS’s overall body of work at Montana Tech, WSU, OU, Indiana, and UH versus Gregg Marshall’s stops at Winthrop and WSU. Thanks.

I’m in the camp of “PAY THE MAN” … I’m all-in for CKS. I vote to make CKS the highest paid coach in the AAC and make it high enough to keep the blue bloods away from CKS, Kellen, Lauren, and Mrs. Sampson. Just my 0.02 cents.

Go Coogs. Peace.

2 Likes

Pay Sampson what the market will bear. I believe in heavy incentives being written in these coaching contracts. His son and daughter also work for the school so that should be worth something.

2 Likes

Do you also vote to make our tickets double the price of Wichita State tickets? They do average over 3k more a game than us, charge more for their tickets, receive more donation and (at the time of his new contract) were generating much more tourney revenue than we will be generating next year even if we make the final four.

It’s easy to throw around other people’s money but it’s not fair when the university has to step in to bail out the athletics every year to the tune of $17 million to $20 million annually. Not sure if most even understand where that money comes from. We don’t print it.

1 Like

We actually do print a lot of it when it comes to athletics as in inter-department transfers !

Yes, my vote is still, PAY THE MAN! I’m good with paying more for my season tickets. If you want to run with the big dogs, you have to pony up the dinero. I’ll do my part.

I have not compared the resumes of CKS and Greg Marshall, but I’m guessing that CKS stacks up pretty well and he deserves what the market will bear.

Go Coogs. Peace.

2 Likes

When you evaluate what you’re going to pay Sampson you shouldn’t do it based just on his record here. Marshall took over a program on the upswing with an established fan base.

If you really want to compare Sampson to Marshall you have to take a lot of things into consideration. Sampson has demonstrated his talents at a high level elsewhere. Sampson took on program mired in apathy, bad facilities, and depleted talent. And he constructed this team and roster while going undefeated on another school’s home court.

But really, you shouldn’t even think about Marshall in the calculation. The question is, what is his value to the university and it’s brand image for the next 5-7 years?

Immense…in my opinion. But I’m not forking my own dough either.

1 Like

Marshall’s salary relative to his production isn’t particularly relevant. CKS is going to get what he has the leverage to negotiate.

Pay the man and the staff!