Kyle Allen gonzo

A skill required to run the offense last year. Allen couldn’t succeed in it. Postma couldn’t succeed in it. Only King could run it, the only dual threat QB we had.

And what QB was needed to run it before last year? Ward, the quintessential dual threat. Do you think we go to the Peach Bowl without Ward being a dual threat QB?

Postma (who is arguably a dual threat-switching to WR in the NFL) couldn’t succeed in it because he had the same problems as Kyle. He was not good at keeping the football secure.

And no, I don’t think we win the Peach Bowl without Ward. Heck I don’t think we win the Peach Bowl without Elandon Roberts shutting down Dalvin Cook, but that’s another story. Ward was clearly the best passer, he understood the offense, and took care of the football. It has little to do with having a dual threat QB. It had everything to do with taking care of the football.

I don’t think Ward was that great of a passer and he threw four picks in the Las Vegas bowl. What made the offense work with Ward (when it did) was his ability to take off, run and make defenders miss tackles.

Yes, Allen turned the ball over too much against Tech but that was one game. I think he got benched because CMA panicked and knew he needed to get a QB in there that could run due to the overall limitations of the offense.

1 Like

This is one small sample from a body of work that was excellent. Greg Ward was better than Kyle in every aspect (he lead the AAC in comp. percentage), except for the only reason people are still considering KA a draft prospect, height and arm strength( remembers Ryan Mallett with the Texans and laughs). Greg did make the offense go, but him being a dual-threat is a luxury, not a must.

Allen turned it over twice vs Tech and two times vs Arizona (1 pick 1 fumble). One was a tipped pass so It doesn’t count. lol KP had 2 picks at SMU, and 2 at Tulsa, then was benched (there’s a trend here). King had 1 pick the entire regular season, kept his job. Not as a result of being a dual threat, but as a result of taking care of the football. Having a dual-threat QB is a luxury.

In the Herman/CMA offense of '15, '16 and ‘17 I really don’t see how you can say this, but ok. Was Texas’ offense successful the past two seasons with a pro-style QB? Ohio State?

Don’t really know and don’t really care at this point. Wishing Kyle the best in the pros and now looking forward to the Briles system this coming season.

1 Like

One, that’s a different set of variables. Did we have the same players as those teams? Did we play the same competition level? Did we play in the same conference? As far as a pro-style playing in the power spread, maybe that’s the question KA should have been asking himself before transferring in from aggy. Again, let’s ignore the mistakes, blame it on either the QB’s lack of top-end speed, or the scheme. If we want to talk scheme, do you think CKB is going to bring the Air-Raid back this season (fitting for a Pro-Style)? Or do you KNOW that it’s going to be similar to what we’ve been doing (inside zone, RPO’s)? Why would we recruit pro-style QBs if they can’t be successful? Fact of the matter is, Kyle thought he was going to tear the AAC apart because of his 5-star rating( much like a lot of fans thought), got here, and was severely humbled. No other way to put it. He did not produce. Don’t blame it on mobility, Postma and King were both sacked more than Allen. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

No, because neither Briles has ever run an Air Raid offense. Don’t think it will be RPO either. Do you think Kolb was in an RPO scheme here?

http://fauowlaccess.com/floridaatlantic/fau-football-nowhere-to-run/6750/2017/09/02/

Do you think Kolb was a dual-threat??? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

i genuinely wish the best for the kid. As long as he wore that Couger jersey, I will root for him.

Hope he takes advantage of his opportunity

3 Likes