Kyle Allen gonzo

They don’t tell what they are going to do. It’s funny, some picks they have video on, others they don’t.

not sure if anyone is watching the draft special on nfl netwrok…but all the qbs are slipping …but they are making a case for why kyle allen should be picked up

1 Like

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/990364839653662720

2 Likes

Nice! I actually can’t even name a Panthers backup. He should have a great shot at fighting for that job

2 Likes

Glad he is getting a shot!

Most guys that keep up with college football can look at the Heisman, Outland, Lombardi award winners and guys that were All-Americans, All-Conference, tops on good teams, etc and project they will be drafted somewhere. Trying to say where they will go and in which round isn’t easy and is a crap shoot for us regular guys as well as the “experts.” However, The “experts” keep telling us who they project will be drafted by whom and are right about a much as most regular guys in the first 2 or 3 rounds – which is very.

I didn’t watch ESPN because I can’t stand Mel Kiper. I watched the NFL channel and the guy I think is the best of the bunch, Mike Mayock, was off on just about every pick that I remember. I can’t remember him – or the panel – being right to be honest except when Darnell went to the Jets. But, since they said the Browns would draft him, then they said the Giants would draft him, then they said the Jets. So, if they would keep saying each team until he was drafted, I don’t give them credit for that.

But, they have all the data on all the players and to be sure, most of us don’t have that kind of info or knowledge. I enjoy seeing that info – especially on the guys we don’t know about from the samller programs.

Looks he has a real shot.
“The Panthers don’t have much behind Cam Newton. They’ve discussed bringing back Derek Anderson, and they have Garrett Gilbert and Taylor Heinicke on the roster at the moment.”

5 Likes

Glad for his opportunity. He’s among a minoirty of non-starters to get drafted. It speaks well of his potential.

1 Like

He didn’t get drafted, he signed as an undrafted free agent.

4 Likes

I am glad to see Kyle get his chance in the NFL. UH did him no service with the kind of offense we tried to shoe horn him into last season. I wish him Keenum-esque success in his NFL carreer.

9 Likes

Yes. Without the Bill OBrien-esque coaching experience, please.

3 Likes

Why is this always the narrative? How many different offenses did he have in his career (three)? Were they all not suitable to his skill set? Norv Turner’s offense is a vertical offense that attacks the seams, so we’ll find out soon enough if he can make the 53-man roster. If he doesn’t, there’s always the “offense didn’t fit him” narrative. We’ll have to wait and see. lol

2 Likes

Forget the narrative. Did you think it fit him well?

1 Like

He did choose to come here, right? He had the choice to go pretty much anywhere. We were running pretty much the same offense that Herman ran, so can’t blame it anything changing after Herman left.

2 Likes

I think he had enough tools to not turn the ball over. Watches him shred Rice but then struggle against stiffer competition, all the while ignoring the trend

What do you think, specifically, about the offensive scheme didn’t fit him?

Yes I’m guessing Kyle did his research on the power-spread before transferring in. I will say the offensive line was not that great with pass protection; maybe that’s what most people are trying to say, but are mixing execution up with scheme. However, what got him benched (turning the ball over) was entirely on him. Especially if he fumbled on the goal-line, and threw interceptions to LB’s.

1 Like

Although Kyle did not do well as a Cougar and may not do well as a pro. He chose to come to UH when he had other options and never said a bad thing about the school. Received his degree here so he will always be a Coog.

I wish him nothing but the best and hope he works hard and fulfills his dream to be a QB in the league.

18 Likes

You know some have the physical talent when they are young and then the hype. Then they have to go out and succeed like everybody has been telling them. High School no problem. College oh-oh. A lot more talent schemes speed playbook etc. As was mentioned above he chose to come here, Graduated from here. So I will always root for him. Who knows maybe the mental aspect of the game has come to him. I wish him luck and hope he succeeds.

4 Likes

That is easy. He was expected to be a dual threat QB in the system last year and that is not his wheelhouse. I would say 80 percent of our running plays were read option. Kyle hardly ever kept the ball. When he did things tended to happen. The offense last year needed a dual threat QB that us why it looked better when King started playing.

1 Like

LOL Are you trolling right now? 80% of our running plays were read-option? That doesn’t sound at all correct. We ran more inside or outside zone and counter than anything. Second, read-option wasn’t ever ran (correct me if I’m wrong); we ran the zone-read instead. Also having a dual-threat QB is not a part of scheme, that’s a skill. Kyle was in Shotgun more than the Pistol last year, and had plenty of chances to complete a pass, on a designed passing play. Let me ask you this, did he throw an interception on a QB keeper or a bubble screen? Did he fumble the ball because he didn’t fit the scheme? No those were down the field and self inflicted mistakes. All things are pointing back to skill, not scheme. Let’s also not forget that we ran a ton of RPOs last year, but nearly scrapped it when he was in the game. Challenging as it may be, you don’t have to be a dual threat to run RPOs, look at the style of QB’s CKB is recruiting-PRO STYLE. You just have to be smart (again, related to skill) enough to read the defense, and make the correct read. Even if Kyle decided (skill) not to run, it had nothing to do with is athletic ability. The RPO, is truly only 3 reads. He can pull it, get the ball out, or throw it away. Again he doesn’t have to be athletic, he had to be able to make 2-3 reads (skill). Just like a drop back pass, or out of the Gun.

Ferguson is not as athletic as Kyle, but he was skilled with the RPO when they ran it. Look how he made the LB freeze, and got the ball out quick.

Again, QB does not have to run.

RPOs are not “our” thing, they are in NFL playbooks as well.

Ad nauseam, I do think KA can be successful in the NFL, but let’s not blame his struggles on “scheme” or “fit”. We have one pro-style QB (Tune) on campus, and another on the way (Williams) who are not 5-stars. If that’s the trend, they won’t fit our scheme as well.

He is getting the chance to make it into the N.F.L. This is it for him. Only time will tell if he can’t or can. He is Coog so I am rooting for him. We all have to remember that we can’t change the past only the present and future matter.

7 Likes