LA Times/Los Angeles Daily News/OCRegister - On Case Keenum

Weird article saying that Gurley needs more touches. 20 carries isnā€™t exactly a small amount, especially when you arenā€™t really able to run the ball. Case did a good job with hitting the play action passes downfield yesterday.

2nd week in a row that the Rams offense was called predictable by their opponent.

1 Like

And by me. Iā€™m not even an expert and can predict what they do. NFL DCs are going to eat them alive.

Jeff Fisher is the HC. What do you expect? He thrives on strong defense, and exceptional running back, workable OL and above average QB. That OC needs to be sent to a reconditioning campā€¦

After watching the game, they need to use Gurley on a screen every once in a while.

On Air with Ryan Seacrest: QB Case Keenum

Quarterback Case Keenum talks with Ryan Seacrest about the Rams victory and Kimberly Keenum makes a special guest appearance.

http://www.therams.com/videos/audio/On-Air-with-Ryan-Seacrest-QB-Case-Keenum/2f9957be-0ce1-40fa-b8b1-fc07e2152875

I will add that Tavon Austin has been less than ineffective. Yes he is fast but he is not catching the ball. They could use him as slot receiver but how can you if he keeps dropping passes? He got paid but he is not living up to its paychecks. Case can be criticized but he is not getting the help that he needs. Case is a super nice guy but he needs to ā€œdefendā€ his turf better. He canā€™t come out like he said last week that he was seeing ghosts. THIS IS HIS TIME and needs to step up. I am sure he will.

Case is battling an uphill battle. That 2nd article up there was ridiculous and tried to blame the offenseā€™s problems all on Case. Rickā€™s right, screens would help, more playaction to loosen up the D and receivers that need to catch the ball would be a big boon to the running game.

1 Like

Nice interview but is it the time to be nice? He should not be a jerk, thatā€™s not him but he is being eaten alive by the entire press. I watched a few games yesterday & tonight. Quite a few QBā€™s played very poorly but they make ten times the amount that Case makes. The last time I checked cutler has been disastrous. He is not getting half of the blame that Case is getting. I mentioned it on Wilson. The press talks about his ankle what about Caseā€™s brain? He is getting hammered. The press does not understand why he is getting sacked. Some is on him but his OL is largely to blame. I will tell you that Case should actually starts running more often. That will add an extra dimension to this ā€¦did I say predictable offense? Thatā€™s right. I can almost guarantee you that every DC is thinking that they are facing one of the worst OC in the league. I was very concerned after the Broncos game. These two games are an extension of it. I would be very curious to hear what Wade Phillips thinks on how Case is playing and what he needs to do differently to ā€œchange/moldā€ this sub par offense to his advantage.

Rams have to find a way to run the ball better. 2.7/yards is horrible and 2nd to last in the NFL.

Case also needs to not take sacks. He did a good job last year of that taking only 4 in his 5 games. Heā€™s taken 5 already and one was a very poor on his part late in the game vs Seattle that cost them a shot at a field goal making it a 2 score lead. That could have looked really bad had their D not held on for the win.

They also have to find away to throw the ball deep. Play action would help but when youā€™re oā€™line is struggling as much as the Rams its tough. Case needs to find a way to target somebody deep a couple times a game somehow just to keep the D honest. Austin being their only good receiver doesnā€™t help. He should be their deep threat/#2 receiver instead heā€™s their #1 and gets keyed on all the time.

1 Like

Austin got paid but he is not playing to his contract. In fact it begs the question as to why Snead (Rams G.M.) has invested so much in his first Rd pick (Goff) and the other signings that he has done. It is pretty simple. Letā€™s say Goff gets in and tear his shoulder/knee on a sack? The entire franchise will be set back at least five/six years. The same thing happened with the Chargers when they drafted Ryan Leaf. Successful NFL clubs look at the entire picture. This is not new. The Rams have been deplorable when it comes to pass protection/OL for at least 3 to 6 years now. Snead made this signing for the L.A. market. Only time will tell but look at the Eagles on how they are protecting their new QB coming out of ND State? The Rams keep replacing or signing QBā€™s. That trend spells trouble for this franchise.
Case follows the OC play calling but one stat does not lie. There is no room for Gurley to run. Is this Caseā€™s fault? Partly it is because he does miss open receivers (Case has to step up) but for a so called run offense you would expect a much better OL. Many teams ā€œstack upā€ the box to counter the run. Well good teams are still able to run. That is not the case with the Rams. Their receivers keep dropping the ball. We saw it in the pre-seasonā€¦it continues in the actual season. Fisher & Boras must be very upset with that. Overall the entire offense has taken a step back from the last few 2015 season games. That is not good at all. Britt is the bright side for them. They have to build around that and redesigned a few plays to use him as a prime decoy. Easier said than done.
Nothing to really report yesterday and today so far.

1 Like

They gave up way too much for Goof when they could have stood pat, gotten Lynch and had all their picks. Horrible decision.

Case has to step it up though. Heā€™s last in the league in completion %, passing yards, yards avg, and the Rams are one of only 2 teams to not have a passing TD.

Rams have 3 of the next 4 on the road but against beatable competition (Bucs, Cardinals, Bills, Lions). If they donā€™t win at least half of them or Case starts to show some life donā€™t be surprised if the rookie is suited up and sees the field at home vs the Giants in their 7th game.

He has and he will starting against the Bucks. His last game was already much better and made some critical throws. A good OC is able to add/create new plays/wrinkles when facing an opponent. Boras, Rams OCā€™s has a lot to prove. He is also on the hot seat. Remember, Goff has not progressed at all during the off season. He may now be a back up but that is to appease the season ticket holders. He played terribly against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Mannion played much better & then played badly. Comparably Case played great against 2nd and 3rd stringers with the Texans. Remember that game against Dallas? That quick snapshot tells me that there is a ā€œmajorā€ problem with the Offense play calling. It looks as if they have a very limited playbook & do not know how to get the best out of their players. Good and great Coaches always do.
Case plays? They need to utilize him along with the playbook to what made him successful at UH. Boras can easily include a no huddle offense. Heck Goff run one at Cal too. IT MAKES NO SENSE that the Rams did not take that next step. It will improve alla spects of their game, including the run.

The same goes for Goff and Mannion. The main reasons that HC or coordinators get fired is because they are too stubborn and want to ā€œmoldā€ players to their philosophyā€¦that is very often wrong. Why draft a player that was great running a certain system and play him using a completely different system? The NFL is 95% full of failed QBs, Coaches, OCs and DCs for that same reason.
The NFL calls itself a scientific league. I ask you, why so many Coaches get fired then?
Do you think a Bill Walsh, Lombardi, Knoll would draft a player and use him in a different playbook setting that he knew in college? Heck no, they would adapt. Build an offense playbook to best utilize the player that they drafted or the one closest to their offensive philosophy.

Very few college qbā€™s will ever start an NFL game. It was very important for me and the legacy Case left at UH for him to have some success at the pro level. I never expected him to have a hall of fame career. He has exceeded most peopleā€™s expectations. Heā€™s done better than Johnny Football. Anything after now is a bonus. I think he already qualifies for an NFL pension. Backup QB is the best job in the NFL.

2 Likes

Case is a competitor and wants to win. He has to step up, period. As noted above that also means that he has to have the best tools to be able to win. That is valid for all NFL Qbā€™s.

2 Likes

Case played well today. He had its ups and downs. The pick six is not excusable unless this was a blown play/bad route. The main thing is that the offense is starting to actually ā€œgelā€ and he looks much more comfortable running it. The Seahawks game was great for Case.
The big question mark for me is Tavon Austin. He can be great and terrible. There is no in between with him yet. Caseā€™s number would have been much better if not for five, yes five dropped passes. Just imagine the Rams with another tall receiver and big TE. They are this close from being a really good team. They are now in first place. That is not a coincidence. The press does not think much of Case. Remember, the press does not play football. There should be more ā€œinkā€ in the a.m.

1 Like

The pass to Quick for the TD was on the money. The pick must have been a miscommunication between Keenum and Austin on a timing route. Looked like Keenum thought he was going to curl right and Austin curled left which is why it looked so bad. Keenum also made a nice pass to Austin for the last TD where Austin had his man beat and Keenum just lobbed it to him and let him do the work.

Case looked good today and 2-1 is solid especially with the way the rest of the division is playing. Rams have a shot at the playoffs.