Longhorn players want Eyes of Texas dropped

@bigmccoog

Don’t worry butch. Won’t be any renaming or dishonoring of the dishonorable during your lifetime old-timer.

Just know this though. They are all coming down and anything with a hint of racism will be renamed or changed. This generation and the next generation of Americans don’t feel like it’s “harping”, we are listening to our brothers and sisters. It’s called communication. What’s right is right.

1 Like

So whoever is in control no matter how they are acting towards their citizens is according to you the controlling factor. If this is the case then in your view there should be no United States of America, no bill of rights or am I missing something in what you are saying.

UT grads I know are all pretty left leaning. But I don’t see them getting rid of their school song.

Texas fans have fired back on the team’s “demands”…they DEMAND a program that is commensurate with the athlete’s star ratings and coaches salaries…the FANS DEMAND a championship…LOLOLOL.

3 Likes

Lee won all the major battles at the start of the war I believe until Gettysburg when he overplayed his hand and sent General Pickett up a hill 3 times into the Union defenses. Lincoln fired General George McClellan twice for losing to Lee. Lee and the south were over matched in every way. Their losing the war was inevitable.

1 Like

Sherman was teaching at a military school in Louisiana before the war started and told his students that if they tried to fight against the union in the end they would lose big time. He pointed out how industrial the North was and that no matter how good of fighters they were in the end the numbers were against them and most of them would likely die. Sherman turned out to be right.

2 Likes

Then Colonel William T. Sherman was the first superintendent of LSU before the Civil War. From the LSU site:
1859 (November) The institution’s main building is completed near Pineville, Louisiana. Col. W.T. Sherman accepts position as superintendent.
1861 (January) State militia takes control of the federal garrison known as the Baton Rouge Arsenal. Only later would Louisiana officially secede from the Union. Col. Sherman resigns.

Wait till the Taliban take down Stone Mountain.

Statues erected in a century past do not reflect the culture today but give us a reminder of what we were. As a kid who grew up in the north and look at 360,000 deaths to preserve the Union and eradicate slavery as my ancestors contribution, this recent uproar seems a tempest in a teapot. Yes, my family lost several members in the Civil War. That said, I have nothing but respect for the military genius of Lee and Jackson

Are there problems in today’s society? Certainly. Does tearing down our past correct them? No.

7 Likes

Those defensive wins to start the war aren’t impressive. He lost, lost tons of troops too. No other loser is thought so highly of, maybe racism is the reason why?

1 Like

Perhaps you should study more instead of dropping the dogeared race card.

4 Likes

I watched a movie Lee sucked
But why this respect for him? Is it southern pride? What is it? I never got it, the Confederates don’t deserve statues, then or now. Jist like Rommel doesn’t.

1 Like

Maybe this needs to be moved to the satellite thread because getting political and has nothing to do with UH football. I was going to post something regarding Coach Sampson’s recent comments to Duarte that have been political but decided not to so not to start a bunch of arguing and tirades. UH athletics is the one place I had left where there was not too much political talk. I’d like to see this board and UH Sports in general to just keep political opinions out of it. It been a little discerning that UH Athletics has been posting political things recently on social media and responding to reporters wanting them to give an opinion instead of just a no comment reply. I’ll admit I’ve responded to some of UH posts on Twitter myself because felt like something needed to be said back in return, but id prefer things go back to actual sports related topics.

The Coliseum is where slaves were pitted against each other as well as wild animals.

So, if you’re going to tear down statues of confederate soldiers because you don’t like their attachment to slavery, you have to advocate for all things with attachments to slavery to be eradicated in order for me to take you seriously.

1 Like

You don’t get to dictate what does or doesn’t correct the issues in society that clearly don’t affect you. It really ain’t your place.

1 Like

And they are educated folks on this board who actually think that the good old United States of America will automatically allow, no questions asked, Texas to break up into 4 States or is it 5 - Texas + 4 more.

Not going to happen. Not going to happen. Not going to happen.

1 Like

We are talking about honoring them with statues, not studying their tactics. It’s amazing traitors who fought for slavery are still revered. Great work by the daughters of confederates, but why do people who live today want any part of racists traitors? Its has always perplexed me.

1 Like

Seems like an easy win for UT to just get rid of the song. I can see why their African-American players would find it offensive. Not because of the words in the song, but because of how the song came to be. And how it was performed.

And this isn’t a new issue. I read an article from over a decade ago. Talking about getting rid of this song. The administration should just pull the plug.

1 Like

It isn’t that easy among their fans and alums. The ties to Robert E. Lee are very light weight. Lee use to say to his students post the Civil War that the “Eyes of the South are upon you”. The UT president at the time was a fan of Lee and stole his saying and use to say the “Eyes of Texas are upon you” all the time to UT students and alums, 30 years after Lee was gone.

The students tried to make fun of the president for saying the “Eyes of Texas are upon you” all the time and one of them wrote the song. I consider that a weak link to Lee or being driven by Lee’s ideology for the South.

However, what isn’t a weak link is that the Texas Cowboys, a spirit group who did minstrel shows quite often which was done in black face introduced the new song to the Texas faithful. The song was put to the music of “Working on the Railroad” which was a minstrel song written less than a decade earlier and they introduced the song to that minstrel music at one of their regular minstrel shows and it took off from there. The song absolutely has racist roots with the tie to the universities minstrel shows.

If you take chapter 18 and tour of the University of Texas Racial Geography Tour from one of their professors you’ll understand where the players are coming from with UT’s racist background through the Texas Cowboys you’ll understand the players. I have always felt that UT has had a negative racial history, but after taking this tour you’ll see how deep it actually was within their history.

The players do appear to be complaining about the schools history and not to present day problems. If you want to skip to the explanation of the song, it is chapter 15. But I suggest you take the entire tour to get the entire background.

Chapter 12 about the design of the fountain and the tower backed up by their circle of Confederate statues that they removed in 2017 is a bit spooky on how the professor describes his analysis. I hate to compare it to the Nazis, but it reminded me of a Nazi like vision and celebration of their power and Neo-Confederate future almost 30 years ahead of when the Nazis gained power in Germany. You many not see it that way, but listening to the professor describe how he is interpretting their architecture of the time it certainly came across that way to me.

I think the players understand it will be difficult to get rid of the song so they gave a 2nd option of not requiring them to sing the song going forward. But if UT looks at the history of that song being born in their minstrel shows, I think some will re-consider.

You have to ask what would the UT do if if was us?They bought the land in Houston trying to screw us.

There’s a book titled Lost Triumph that I read about 10-15 years ago. It argues that Lee actually had a good plan for Gettysburg that wasn’t coordinated or executed correctly. James McPherson reviewed it and wrote that “we now have a clear picture of what Lee planned,” and John Keegan said the book is “a remarkable achievement.” The author’s thesis is that Lee wanted Ewell to take the high ground on the left flank early and then move forward. A.P. Hill was to press the center, while Jeb Stuart was to circle around with the cavalry, attack the rear, and pressure and unnerve the Union center. Had Stonewall Jackson not died before the battle (Ewell replaced him), there’s little question he would have taken Cemetery and Culp’s Hill. Ewell dithered, and Union troops were able to construct strong breastworks and reinforce the area. Hill got there a little late, and Jeb Stuart’s cavalry was stymied by an excellent performance from George Custer and the Federal cavalry, which knew they were coming and set up to stop them. So according to the author if the three-pronged attack would have gone off as planned, the Rebels would have won the battle. Have only read a few books specifically on battles—this one, two about Waterloo, and a couple of others. But this was a great read.

3 Likes