Lots of change coming

I’m Cherokee but realize that most mascots were chosen for respect of strength, toughness, self-sufficiency or some good attribute.

I always wondered about the more victim-like gamecocks and ducks.

Maybe it all makes sense that there is a Southern California university named after condoms.

One more thing is that I have no respect for whomever the butt-hurt female was that could not abide “Rah-Rah-Rah” and we replaced it with “go coogs go”

2 Likes

We can’t, there’s not any cougar sports. We have to do this.

[EDITED BY TIMMY CHAN TO REMOVE POOR ATTEMPT AT SARCASM – WASN’T FUNNY AND ISN’T WORTH SAVING.]

8 Likes

Did this go away because someone found it offensive?

I found it offensively bland if that counts.

2 Likes

It is my understanding that it sounded like raw

Rah however is in the genre of terms like hooray, yay, whoopee, and many, many more.

History and tradition mean nothing to those youth who who make demands based on their feelings.

3 Likes

I still say rah rah rah. As loud as I can.

2 Likes

I guess we’d need to get some more confirmation before we chalk it up to sensitivities. I assumed it sounded kinda outdated so they changed it.

1 Like

The need to change elements of American culture that have a racist connotation isn’t simply a matter of hurting someone’s feelings or people being overly sensitive. It’s about stopping the celebration (not necessarily the acknowledgement) of pieces of American culture that socially oppress certain groups. When we celebrate things that are historically tied to slavery, perpetuate negative stereotypes towards an ethnic group, or consciously or unconsciously promote a narrative of one group being superior to another, it creates unconscious biases towards people on the basis of their ethnicity that basically becomes a cyclical, self-fulfilling prophesy.

For those who don’t understand what that is like…you know how we at UH feel that the path to national recognition in football is rigged against us because of negative perceptions, lack of funding, and lack of the right compete at the highest level? That even when we perform at the highest level, we don’t get the same level of recognition as others due to negative perceptions, revealing that a national championship is technically possible but basically out of reach? That is what a lot of those unconscious biases have a tendency of doing to people in their real lives. That is systemic racism. Some may rise above the pressure that pull them down, but many others will basically fall in line with what society is unconsciously telling them they are supposed to be.

A lot of people don’t want to hear it and would rather watch sports and pretend that these issues don’t persist. Unfortunately these issues and sports have always been intertwined. In many ways sports has broken down a lot of racial barriers and while we celebrate a lot these milestones in hindsight, it was never easy or comfortable while it was happening. And there is still more progress, and a correlating level of discomfort, that needs to happen.

10 Likes

Yes Coog 51 I have always been very proud of the Bilnoski name. The town of New Waverly was formed by a group of 176 polish immigrants in the 1870’s and one of the founding fathers was a Bilnoski who was my 5th-7th Great Grandfather. I can’t keep up with all that. They built the town, the church, and a cemetery of New Waverly. If you go to look at the headstones in the church cemetery, there are about 13 different ways to spell Bilnoski.

2 Likes

I did not know New Waverly was founded by Polish immigrants. That is interesting.

Same with Chappel Hill out Hwy290 right before Brenham. Plenty of good polish sausage. The town has Polish ancestry all over it.

I didn’t know that Texas had so many Polish immigrants. With Texas I think Czech and German.

Czech and Polish are both of Slavic descent and a lot of Germanic influence over the years, you know with all the lines that have been redrawn throughout history. Love the the food in those areas settled by the Bohemians.

Oh yeah, real polish kielbasa is to die for. A lot of people don’t know that bagels are a polish thing.

Living here in Colorado I miss those a lot, use to live in Victoria TX and went to the Kountry Bakery for the best food.

In all my 57 years that is the first time I ever heard that bagels were a polish thing and I have spent most of my life in Brooklyn the bagel capital of the world,

Now if you said it was a Jewish thing from Jews that lived in Poland that would be a different story.

And no Pole would ever call a Jew, Polish. Not now, not ever.

1 Like

Both a Jewish and a Polish thing:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.parkinn.com/the-birthplace-of-the-bagel/amp/

Oh yes, there were MANY immigrants to Texas that came from The Czech Republic and Germany; in fact Texas actually recruited people from those two countries to settle here when it was a Republic. But, they also recruited people from parts of France and Poland. There are many towns in Central Texas named after towns found in Europe with the same names.

I grew up in Anderson, Texas - one of the oldest towns in Texas. There were many Polish people (perhaps about 45%) and German people (probably about 20%) in the town. The rest of the population were other white and black. There is still a beautiful Catholic Church in the town, mainly used by the Polish people; it has beautiful stained glass windows that were imported from Poland, I think!

For many years, the resident priest in that church was a man named Father Domansky, and he was born in Poland. My father, who was Irish, used to say that if you had anything you really wanted to get done in the town, just convince Father Domansky, and he would get the entire Polish population to back it. He was right, too!

3 Likes

Family from my mother’s side came from a region on the French/German border and moved to San Antonio. Don’t know all the details, but apparently there was quite a bit of discrimination going on. The family ended up moving to California.

Always curious since there were many German immigrants north of San Antonio if it was San Antonio itself or if it had to do more with the French side of the border vs German. I think it had more to do with the Hispanic heritage in San Antonio if I were to guess.

Texas History has always been fascinating.