Lots of change coming

America was implicated from the onset but we fought a war to try to right the injustice. 100 years later we had civil rights laws passed to try to correct segregation and racism we continue to advance in our treatment of each other. It is no longer unusual to see mixed race couples anywhere in our society it is generally accepted except for a small portion of our society(at least I like to think so) of all races that still don’t accept it. I understand protest for equal treatment but rioting does not win anyone over, it is like the difference in a discussion or debate versus a shouting match if you are shouting at someone they will quit listening. In the end treat everyone equally, treat the how you would want your family treated. I will always remember when I was young someone asking my father what we need to do about this racism and my fathers response was “your generation is going to have to die”. That was over40 years ago and things have gotten better but until we can trust each other to do the right thing always we will still need more time and civility.

3 Likes

I don’t necessarily disagree with anything that you stated. I will add:

“A civil war is not the end-all-be-all, we still have work to do” - 2020

I also disagree with rioting but it needs to be understood that rioting is a symptom. It’s a symptom of people being fed up with systemic inequality.

I can best explain it like this. I’m generally a clean freak and keep my house tidy. I once had a roommate when in college who was nasty as all get out. I kept telling myself that as long as my side is clean, I don’t have anything to worry about. Fast forward and I started to see roaches. :nauseated_face: So he and I had a long discussion about lease voiding and how it relates to cleanliness. No more roaches for the most part.

Rioting is a symptom of inequality like roaches are a symptom of dirtiness. If America can’t deal with the roaches they need to clean their house! News flash for the complicit individuals who want to straddle the fence on these issues, you can’t do that any longer because the roaches will still find you!

Disclaimer: I’m not calling rioters actual roaches. It’s an analogy, just go with it. Lol

3 Likes

Ah - I missed your post. Seems to be a trope, although maybe not a reality. The original article I posted did mention that it’s not clear the real prevalence of this.

In the newspaper, it appears to solicit African American families to ‘rent’ their babies as alligator bait, only to be returned to families safely. Of course, impossible to believe anyone following through or agreeing to this but it did infer black families were willing to this type of deal thus bolstering the prevailing thought of blacks as sub-human. The yellow-journalism of the time was chock-full of this types of ‘news’ , and not just for blacks.

Regardless - pretty bad and worthy of doing away with gator-bait (since it is/was a trope). I’ll add that I don’t know if the UF chant was meant as such.

I don’t think this will bleed over to ‘Tiger bait’ chants. We don’t have tigers in the US (unless you’re Carol Baskins).

I understand your point but if your roach issue was with your roommate you wouldn’t go to your neighbors house and complain. I see the riots as lumping everyone as the same, I don’t think everyone of a certain race is a gang member because some are I know most are good people trying to live their lives the best they can. You can only change hearts and minds one at a time through your actions and rioting in my view achieves the reverse of the intended effect. If my business is burned down for no reason other than it was on the street where rioting was happening will I be more understanding of the rioters message or will I become hateful of the people that harmed my business and put my family at risk?

2 Likes

It’s like having a fever and we keep taking Tylenol to make it go away for a while. We then wonder why it keeps coming back. It’s because we haven’t cured the disease.

It’s not only rioting either. Most of the people out there were peacefully protesting.

In the end, we either cure the disease or keep getting fevers.

5 Likes

xsmith…I enjoy your posts, but here you seem to allude that a riot (being a symptom) is okay.

Riots in any form are not “okay”…
Protests are great, and are woven into our American fabric like no other country in the history of man.

I doubt seriously that rioting would ever have been condoned by MLK or Ghandi or any other similar successful Agent of Change.

2 Likes

I will say that if there was more honest discussions without either side getting upset about the honesty and truly listening to each other things would improve. The problem is most often when discussion are had the labels are thrown by both sides so solutions are impossible. It is not just with race it is with Democrats and Republicans as well, I have friends that we can have deep discussions and usually agree on the desired outcome it is the best path to the outcome that is contentious.

2 Likes

So back on subject we are still okay with Go Coogs! Eat Em Up!

3 Likes

:100: %

1 Like

I think you misunderstood me. I’ll say it plainly…I’m against rioting. I’m not condoning it. At all. Rioting is a latent effect.

In the roach analogy…I (people on the fence) stood idly expecting things to go away, my roommate (person who needs help) was ignored until stuff hit the fan
( roaches/rioters). Our apartment was symbolic of America. It has nothing to do with neighbors or actual people.

Try not to get so hung up on rioters. See the message as it truly is.

1 Like

I never said I’m condoning rioters…reread my initial post. I’m simply explaining to the people who are clutching pearls with no earthly idea as to why rioting is happening.

For the third time…I’m against rioting!

1 Like

Yes, you can find it; but as I pointed out, Sniped said there is no evidence anyone actually did do that.

Unfortunately I don’t think many of the people that are rioting are even rioting because they of racial injustices some are but I think many have other agendas.

2 Likes

Eliju Yale was a slave trader. I think Yale should change the name.

Harvard’s buildings used to house slaves. I think Harvard should change their name.

John Carroll who founded Geoegetown was a slave trader. Georgetown should change it’s name.

See how ridiculous it can get?

7 Likes

What makes it ridiculous? Your own incredulity?

2 Likes

Chris,

Not sure about Georgetown; it was named after “George” Washington, who in turn was the namesake of the neighborhood in DC the school is located in (Georgetown). Then again, Washington owned slaves…so maybe there’s something there.

That said, perhaps THIS school should indeed change its name, based upon what you said.

1 Like

Can we please just stop with all the politics and sociology conversations. UH sports is many peoples way to just get away from all that kind of stuff but it seems like now every other thread is some political or social thing that has nothing to do with UH sports. I just want to talk about Cougar sports without having to hear a political or social stance. Sports should be the one place we all can come together and have fun while not having to worry about politics or life problems.

3 Likes

Given the demographic of athletes in most sports, it generally will be very hard to separate the politics from sports for a while. The status quo has not always been good for them, and they are using sports as their platform to start the conversations that will bring about change. As fans and supporters of the players as human beings, we should empathize with athletes even if it is highly uncomfortable and we may not always agree.

3 Likes

Well said. That is the sentiment of many people I know.

How about removing all names of city, county towns named after any saint.

That is government establishing a religion.

1 Like