Major Applewhite as HC offers new possibilities for our offense

I disagree on your Postma assessment. UConn was 18th in the country in passing yards allowed last year. I think his accuracy is just fine but it’s hard to be consistent when you only get a few passes in live action each game. The only problem I have is he seems injury prone. He is a great running QB with a good arm but doubt he would stay healthy a whole season.

The play calling to start out the UConn game had much to be desired as well. First drive, short pass, short pass, short pass, punt. Second drive, run, run, run, punt. I hope that was Herman’s play calling and not Applewhite’s.

Before we can assess all of our QB’s I want to see some major improvements on the OL. From that standpoint it is a big plus to have continuity. Yes, we had injuries but our OL was inconsistent all season. At times we were great but in many other situations Ward was running for his life. This is not new. It is crucial that we improve there.

1 Like

Completely agree. I think our line was much better last year and we had a lot of issues and injuries last year too. I think we had 11 different line ups throughout the year, but I think our rushing was better last year. This year I thought we lost in the trenches repeatedly. I think if we improve with the line, everything else will improve as a result as it should.

1 Like

And part of that was Herman’s stubborn demand that Catalon run off-tackle over and over until UH succeeded in the battle of the trenches. It continually ruined drives and put the offense in the hole. Then Ward HAD to do his magic to salvage what he could of the drive, but by then the D was totally prepared for whatever we did.

Say what you will about the things Herman did well. But in a game he could get locked into something and would just do it over and over like he was going to prove something. I don’t read CMA as that kind of coach. And watch Catalon have a break out year as a result. If the D puts 6 or 7 guys in the box - which happened regularly this season - our QB will be going over the top or maybe to the sidelines. Case ate teams alive with the simple bubble screen when they stacked the middle. Bottom line, First Down.

2 Likes