Major Applewhite as HC offers new possibilities for our offense

Jimmy, I think you are confusing formations with talent. In the games you allude to UH has almost always been badly outgunned from a standpoint of talent. Even then we hold our own.

Imagine what we could do with the talent level we’re getting these days. These passing offenses have been great equalizers. With superior talent they become scary.

Wish I had more time to banter with you but I am heading out to a Christmas Party.

Enjoy your Christmas party. When you get a chance, name a single run-n-shoot or air raid offense that has played in the national championship game.

Florida’s spread offense under Spurrier was pretty close.

1 Like

2000 Oklahoma Sooners team. Is that pretty close to the Air Raid/spread pass-happy offense?

1 Like

294.7 yards passing a game and 134,6 yards rushing a game. Certainly a team that pass a lot but we averaged 300 yards passing per game and 150 yards rushing per game this year. The one I’m arguing with insinuated that we weren’t pass happy enough so close but no cigar.

1996 Florida 308.2 ppg 156.9 rpg. Similar numbers again.

Run N Shoot and Air Raid examples:
1990 Houston 473.9 ppg 112,9 rpg
2008 Texas Tech 413.2 ppg 117.8 rpg
2007 Hawaii 439.5 ppg 72.6 rpg
2011 Houston 450.1 ppg 150.9 rpg
All great years for those teams. Texas Tech was the only one of the group that had any wins against the top 10 though.

“In 1988, the NCAA announced that it would levy sanctions against the Houston football program for numerous major rules violations during the Yeoman era.[21] The university was charged with around 250 violations and was assessed some of the most severe penalties for a program at the time.[22] The program was placed on probation for five years, banned from playing in bowl games for two years, and kicked off live television during the 1989 season. However, the most damaging penalty in the long run was a reduction to 15 scholarships for the 1989 season. Draconian as these penalties were, the NCAA said that they would have been even harsher (including being limited to 20 scholarships for 1990 and 50 paid recruiting visits for 1989) had Yeoman still been coach.[20] The lack of television exposure in 1989 was a setback but ultimately did not dampen the accolades UH would garner in a record-setting season.
The 1989 season was one of the most memorable in UH football history. Andre Ware continued his dramatic development as a passer and posted unprecedented passing statistics en route to winning the 1989 Heisman Trophy. Ware passed for 4,299 yards and threw 44 touchdown passes on the season. He posted one of his finest performances with 475 yards passing in the Cougars’ 47–9 rout of archrival Texas in the Astrodome. The Cougars set many offensive records during the season. The Cougars finished the 1989 season at 9–2 and 2nd in the Southwest Conference but could not go to a bowl game. UH finished the season ranked No. 14 in the AP poll”

All of the above was accomplished while on a severe probation. In fact we were close to the death penalty. Against all odds we still finished with a great record. The truth is that we will never know how good these teams could have been. Any other School/program would have had negative seasons. I still maintain that if the uta and atm orchestrated sanctions/probation had not happened we would have won multiple national championships. Jenkins did all he could with a major probation. To finish 10-1 has to be one of the most amazing Coaching ever done in the FBS.
We are indeed the sleeping giant. That is why we are so feared if we enter a P5. I listened to Orlando on the college radio/sirius. He said and I quote that after the beat down that we put on ou he knew after the game that we would not get invited into the small12.

Thank you for posting.
Major has a ton of work to do with Kyle. He probably has done quite a bit and we should…hopefully see some major improvements. I would like to see better decisions, footwork, throwing motions, better thrown passes and surely better accuracy. That is a ton. I can’t wait to see how he has progressed. We can’t discount Postma.

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/807243786942369792

https://twitter.com/UHpres/status/807245026765869056

1 Like

There are none so blind as those who will not see. Never argue with someone with a closed mind.

I’m going to give a bold prediction. I say Bowman Sells starts next year. Without Judas around, it’s truly an open competition. For people that don’t know who Sells is, he is a left hand qb recruit who has some wheels. He will be a redshirt freshman.

Interesting prediction, very possible. I will expand on a prediction and say that our offense will look better next year. We won’t see so many stubborn runs up the middle (Herman influence). I think we will see more exotic looks, more motion, and some surprises. I think back to when he was OC for Rice. He did an amazing job with them. First bowl game in 45 years, I think that tells you something.

1 Like

With Bryson we are def over stocked on QB.How do we (the Coaches) manage that?

K.Allen
D.King
B.Sells
B.Smith

Goodness!

It also should help our running game that Allen can throw the ball past 20yds with accuracy too.

Sells will get some looks; he’s very talented. If Allen leaves and King is still banged up in the Spring, Sells would probably be the lead choice since Smith probably won’t be in until Summer.

That will likely be the biggest difference in the offense. Plus the fact there will be no “sacred” run-first downs. If Major runs anything like the offense he ran at Rice UH will always be looking to throw the ball down field. That will definitely stop the tendency of the defense loading the box in anticipation of the always predictable run off tackle. Geez that got old. Watch Catalon blossom in this system.

I thought Allen put to rest any rumors of him transferring?

Are we forgetting Postma or just assuming he’s not in the running? FWIW, since he’ll be a senior, I’d really like to see him back at WR if he’s not the starting QB. And I assume even if Allen doesn’t stay, Postma won’t be the starter.

I agree. We will see, but it seems like there will be a lot of good options so if he is not a clear favorite in the spring, hopefully the coaches tell him it would be best to move to WR again.

He has, for now. Lot can change between now and next season.

We’ll have him in the spring since his course load won’t be completed until then. I imagine if he’s named the starter then, he’ll stick around.

I love Postma, but if he’s our starting QB, we’ll be in a lot of trouble. The UCONN game last year kind of exposed that he has very little accuracy and he struggled this year when called upon to throw it. Great runner; would love to see some option packages with him in there to change things up at times especially if we go with Allen. Like your idea of putting him back at wideout too as we need to use him; wasted as a backup QB. Same goes for King.