More displeasure in the PAC 12!

I’m sure USC has endless money for travel but B1G schools is from 1,500 to 2,700 miles from USC. I don’t see that happening.

1 Like

An 11-1 season would not be as appetizing if everyone was hype in the off season. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nobody said anything about any hype…talking about the lack of interest right now in UH football including this past season. We have a very brittle and small fan base and that does not bode well for season tickets or fannies in the seats…I mean really, do you think anyone actually is thinking about 11-1 seasons?

But that is rather on the coach vs fan base. We don’t know anything because coach isn’t saying anything. Shoot, if UH would hire me and you, we would pump up the fan base.

Butch, it’s hard for interest to exist without hype…they aren’t mutually exclusive. Out of fear of getting into a totally different discussion, I’ll refrain from comparing last off-season to this years, but I’ll say i’d expect there to be some silence in regards to this season after going 4-8.

Good thing that fan support of UH, and Houston sports overall, isn’t indicative of each other; I mean, have you seen the numerous complaints about attendance for men’s BB? What about Texans fans continuing to support an inferior product?

Once we start winning folks will show up, or they won’t.

1 Like

Nebraska left the Big 12 supposedly to get away from Texas domination, only to end up a nobody in a conference dominated by Michigan and Ohio State. On the other hand the extra millions probably make it worthwhile!

1 Like

What about UH? As PAC member will we have endless money to travel in a conference where the closest member is 1,550 miles away?

Seriously if WVU can make it in the Big 12 despite the distances involved, why would you think the much richer USC would have a problem?

The difference is that Osborn (AD) felt jobbed at the Championship game…remember the pass out of bounds and the “extra” seconds put back on the clock, leading to the Death Star win…pretty well founded reports said he was absolutely livid, as well as the HUGE fan base.
At least Ohio State (et al.) are just plain better than Nebraska. They wanted a level playing field, and it looks like they have it…

1 Like

WVU does not have to travel coast to coast like USC will have to do. UH doesn’t care as long as it’s a P5.

Probably not dominance on the field they were trying to escape, but ut entitlement within the boardrooms. B1G just a superior conf to b12 academically and athletically, so that would’ve played more into it than distance themselves from ut

Once WVU showed that long distance travel was possible and sustainable in a P5, it’s not likely to be the reason why realignment will be held up. Any program (including USC) will change conferences if the money is worth it.

Well in the Big 10 the boardroom is dominated by Ohio State and Michigan. Nebraska was a power player in the Big 12. Maybe not as powerful as UT, but still a power player. In the Big 10, they are just a bit player. On the other hands there are other benefits (academic and research) that gained in addition to more money. I doubt they’ll ever be anywhere near the power they once were.

Yes I think we can agree the move was for bettering their university as a whole. Not sure if they will get back to where they were on the field, but I think they will get better. In the west they deal with Wisconsin Iowa Minnesota… I think they can get back to competitive with that group under Frost

WVU has to travel one time zone. USC would be traveling 2-3 time zones. West coast to East coast for all sports just isn’t feasible.

1 Like

Butch, this is directly on CDH and the choices he is making in terms of marketing the program right now. Xchi made a good point about after 4-8 you do need a certain level of silence so you do not oversell. But this complete blackout leaves is nothing to talk about. I get it about the practices in general, but to me CDH had to be out there pressing flesh and doing at least something to get the fanbase excited.
But this is what has lead directly to us moving into our offseason topics.

1 Like

So you’re saying it’s quieter now than under Apple Strudel?

Getting punched in the mouth like we did last year will shut up a program pretty quick, I guess. Not sure I agree. We can and should hype what we have coming back this year. Hopefully we’ll see it this summer.

Plus, we’re getting the same frequency of Spring practice pics and videos as we did last Spring.

Don’t know how to get your post to quote here.

Revenue was not quite the right word, but didn’t say anything about SEC and B1G agreeing to take less so the ACC and others could get more. Nothing about giving to the other conferences. My point however poorly worded was that there should be a cap on athletic revenue and spending. anything a school makes beyond a certain limit must go to the schools academic coffers. IT doesn’t give to other conferences.

The slide started at the end of Major’s Reign and the embarrassment of the Army game. Last season was rough but the slide started earlier.

2 Likes

Friday night practices are open to public. CDH and staff have had many interviews with press and some of the various sites moderators and I have watched them. The info is out there if you look for it. There’s a reason I am on multiple sites.

I posted the above in another thread but thought it fit this conversation.