More displeasure in the PAC 12!

No doubt. Army threw the first punch. What a haymaker that was!

Oh ok. Yeah that makes sense, but should the cap be a fixed $ number or % of revenue?

Btw to quote (if you are using iPhone), just select the part you want to quote, an option to quote will pop-up, just press that.

Found it, thanks. On a PC right now and still works.

Yeah, it was poor wording on my part. A spending cap would be hard, but my initial guess would be something like a percent of average FBS teams spending. It might also have to be broken into categories as well such as one group for coaches and support staff, one for facilities - just brainstorming right now. Revenue can’t be controlled with all the different sources, but a more level playing field is needed for all schools in FBS divisions and scholarship limits are not doing it alone. There is a reason all pro sports have spending caps.

There have never been spending caps in the NCAA. But then there was never these massive sums of revenue involved either. I think a cap of % of revenue is fair, by capping revenue to a max $ amount you are going back to the old days when Hofstra v Citadel football game was on TV but UT v OU wasn’t because of NCAA TV appearance rules. Basically it didn’t matter how much revenue you earned everyone got the same exposure and TV revenue split between all programs.

Bring the SWC back. No more trips to the east coast, no future trips to the west coast.

2 Likes

It would be a formidable conference by today’s standards.

1 Like

Better chance of hell freezing over, pigs flying, and me wining the lottery all happening on the same day!

2 Likes

Unfortunately, another step in the process are fans of lower income schools that are the problem. I have met many fans of these schools that complain about unequal TV money, but then they turn around and watch the games like Alabama vs LSU. Makes them part of the problem and increases rating for the SEC TV contracts.

That is a conflicting issue for me, as many fans of college football watch many games because they enjoy the sport, which is good. I don’t have that luxury of time so I just watch my teams.

By what magic could you bring back the SWC?

There might be some cracks in this scam system that is college football. If OU and UT bolt it would destroy the Big12 and would leave schools like Baylor, Tech, TCU, and others behind as the havenots. There is no way those colleges are going to sit back and let that revenue go. OU and UT destroying the Big 12 might finally be what it takes for the anti trust lawsuits to start flying against college football. We have the moneyman in Fertitta along with some great lawyers at UH that could file a lawsuit as well. Wasn’t it Baylor that tried to sue to stop teams leaving the Big 12 before?

The old SWC is dead - will never be brought back to life!

On the other hand, if the SEC would get off their behinds and do what I hope for, they could accomplish several things at once. Take OU and UH into the conference (OSU ain’t tied to OU as tightly as some think IMO). That would destroy the Little-12 and probably keep both the Big-10 and the PAC out of Texas (neither want the LHN).

Meanwhile, the SEC would totally own most of the Texas TV market, and Texas could keep their beloved LHN, and try to take it into the ACC; failing that, they could go Independent and then try to fill out a schedule!

None of this will happen - but this is an opinion board, and it costs nothing to dream!

2 Likes

They threatened to sue A&M for leaving. But there was nothing in the Big 12 bylaws that gave that threat any merit.

The precedent for jumping to a new conference is already set. So I don’t think an antitrust suit would stop anything.

1 Like

I’m not sure about that, because there is no way Baylor, Tech, and the other Big12 schools are going to sit back and lose all that revenue. The moment UT and OU leave the Big12 conference is downgraded and the payday ends for those schools from the networks. That is why they will file the lawsuits for anti trust against college football. Since those schools are going to be left out I could see them retaliating by trying to burn it all down.

1 Like

Never let anything Baylor does be a precedent or guideline for anything

2 Likes

Like about 2 years earlier :sunglasses:

If anti-trust is a viable option, what are UH, Memphis, UCF waiting for? Why not file a lawsuit immediately instead of waiting till the collapse of the Big 12?

2 Likes

Personal opinion, with no real legal background here. But I figure an anti-trust suit, which seems obvious on its face is probably an absolute SOB to actually prove and win.

The expense, time, and other resources necessary to make he that case at be probably still lose our best case hope to it a settlement is probably just looked as not worth it.

I wouldn’t put it past Baylor to try for it if the Big 12 implodes and they are left out and no longer have that revenue coming from being up UTs backside.

If being up UT backside is what it takes to earn $40 million this year (and growing every year), maybe some find that acceptable. Better to be rich and sycophantic than poor and proudly independent sort of thing. Clearly BU, TT, TCU quite happy with the arrangement. I would say even ISU, KSU and WVU are at least some what OK being in that position.

1 Like

Neither The Tucson Newspaper nor any of the TV Stations ever mention “Displeasure with The PAC 12.”

Never.