Mount Vernon H.S. - Top 10

That stuff is all negotiable. Both Sumlin and Herman stuck around for their former teams’ bowl games.

Of course, neither of them was interested in that on leaving here.

That Art was taking our committed players and trying to convince players already here to transfer to Baylor says all I will ever need to know about Art. I clearly remember Uncle Dave publicly warning Art and Baylor to cut it out or he was going to the NCAA.

And then the disparaging remarks about UH after he left. I remember that, too.

And I remember the Alfred E. Newman (“What, me worry?”) act while Baylor was suffering from a sexual assault crisis.

That man is garbage.

6 Likes

Well, Sumlin didn’t , but he did leave his entire coaching staff in tact to beat Penn State.

Herman left the 2 coordinators, but gutted the rest of the staff and took them to Austin. Clearly Orlando wasn’t too enthused as he didn’t get the UH job and … well, Apple Boy was way in over his head.

But, I agree with you about Art. I think he has a basic character flaw.

3 Likes

We actually do not know what Art did while coaching at BU because we aren’t privy to the facts. We have some hearsay, but no proof. We know that BU paid him a substantial sub to keep quiet, so for all we know, he told the administration and they did the cover up thing. I hate to label a guy without knowing the facts and as an attorney, I would expect you to also withhold judgement without the proof beyond a reasonable doubt. I guess we all have different standards of what we call reasonable doubt.

1 Like

What coach have we had here since BY who left on great terms?

2 Likes

I’m still in touch with Dana Dimel. I imagine that he can’t pay for a drink or dinner in El Paso right now at 3-1.

6 Likes

There’s not many topics on this board that get the juices flowing one way or the other like the mention of the Briles’.

2 Likes

I always thought CBY was railroaded.

5 Likes

That’s because he was.

2 Likes

My memory of that event was the UT/NCAA told UH to fire CBY or else. We were supposed to sever ALL connections with him, we refused and instead moved him into a fund raising capacity. Yes, he was railroaded but we did the best we could at that time.

We’ve all left for better opportunities…there’s a right way and the wrong way----he choose the latter. He was dead wrong in the way he did those players on eve of Texas Bowl vs TCU

3 Likes

Yep. What Briles did at Baylor and UH was unforgivable.

If UH would have listened to that vocal minority and rehired him over Dana, I wouldn’t be on here supporting the program. That’s for sure.

1 Like

You are on the money Bultokid! I was there and despite that our Coogs were in it until the last play of the game on their talent and tenacity alone! Case & Co. almost pulled it off! I remember screaming “He’s open he’s open!!!” as Case set us up in the red zone. It’s hard to be a Coog, but it is great to be a Coog. We can’t win em all, but we dax#%%n sure try! Good enough for me, hard cheese and all. Go Coogs!

And if Briles stayed, we would’ve blowed them out as you know…probably won the conference too and played a different bowl game. The previous loss to Tulsa was all on Briles. The players knew already.

Just good to know that the Coog team could perform so well on their own in that Texas Bowl game despite Briles. Despite him! So sad Sumlin did the same thing later…

But as they say, “the Coogs abide!” :sunglasses:

1 Like

He ran an extremely undisciplined program with his players and staff while he was here. Thankfully it never hit Baylor bad by the time he left.

1 Like

Someone told me RG3 was here and already wearing red until the switch lol literally he was here

1 Like

Yes, but we had Case!!

1 Like

I surely don’t remember that. Since Art left before the end of the semester, I don’t see how RG3 could already be here.

2 Likes

Pooch kick Briles.

1 Like

Just like coach Yeoman

1 Like

Butch, you must have misread his post, CBY is coach Yeoman.

1 Like

I don’t know that, but at the time when Art was still here and before Briles left for Baylor, I was employed at a small firm in Coppras Cove, where RG3 is from. Everyone in his hometown knew he was headed to Houston until Briles left for Baylor, the RG3 changed his mind to go there. RG2, his Dad, was stationed at Fort Hood at the time.

3 Likes