Mount Vernon H.S. - Top 10

Yep I meant just like coach Lewis

2 Likes

Derrick is correct. He had “committed” to Houston

And I will never forget (forgive, maybe) that he was interviewing with Baylor Regents in Tulsa, at the Tulsa game. The team didn’t know where he was, found out about it, then Art showed up to “coach” the game. We were down 28-0 at half, at which point all of us in the stands knew that something was terribly wrong. I left at halftime.
This is the singular game that I have left early in my lifetime. Ever.

Uncle Dave was and is right. He is a POS, with zero integrity.

1 Like

CAB thinks integrity is a brand of automobile.

5 Likes

I think you make the same case against Herman and Sumlin and they cost us much more than Briles against Tulsa.
Heck Sumlin and Herman were looking around before they ever coached a game at UH

4 Likes

Maybe, but I am pretty sure that “Uncle Dave” trolling the sidelines looking over his shoulder had a lot to do with him wanting to get out of here as fast as he could. I know I would not like to have my boss bird dogging my every move.

3 Likes

Not unusual for a player to switch when a coach does. Remember when Briles came to UH a guy named Kolb decommited from Oki Lite to come here!

3 Likes

Yeah Butch, and I don’t remember people getting upset about it. These kids commit to a coach, not necessarily a school.

1 Like

Correct!

I was saying that Sumlin and Herman stayed with their former teams (OU and OSU) until the season was over. Then they showed up here.

I remember Herman being lauded for his integrity–working both jobs at once. Clearly, he reveled in that. But they weren’t too concerned about integrity when leaving before our seasons were over.

5 Likes

The only reason Herman left the two coordinators is that they were both applying for the HC position. Once one was picked the other was gone. I think the only reason he worked both jobs when he was hired here is that he wanted that National Champion OC on his resume. It was good of both Rhoades and Meyer to let him do that. Certainly integrity had nothing to do with it.

1 Like

If you mean that Orlando was gone mentally after Apple Boy was chosen, then I concur. However, as I recall, both coached in the bowl game although some have indicated that Orlando left at halftime ???

Art started in HS and had much success at Stephenville, his coming to UH got us his best QB in Kevin Kolb. Say what you will about how he left, when they give a P5 job and say dump your current job and we will triple your salary, most coaches do it. To win at Baylor was tough, they had not won a B12 game in 5 years so the pedal was down to get recruits to turn the program around. Most good athletes are primadonas but some go a little too far when they leave home. Art is a good man, a good alum as well as Kendel. Did he lose control at Baylor, maybe, but it was good to see my friend on the field winning again.
PS: The people in Mount Vernon know they have a steal in a big time coach like CAB and they love him. I wish him well.

4 Likes

He may be a good man but he didn’t bring good people into Baylor. He won there with elite talent and didn’t care how they got them there or what the baggage was.

2 Likes

Some coaches handle it with more integrity. Briles handled it with less.

I don’t care he left. But the huge dump he took on our program on his way out is what I have a problem with. He should have stayed till the whole season was over. Then get the job in the off-season. I don’t think expecting that is asking too much from the team that took a chance on you to begin with.

3 Likes

That was his ultimate downfall. I just wonder how some of these charactors are even allowed to be admitted to any university, much less one touted to be a religious one. When a coach, or administration checks his ethics for success, he will soon have neither. Greed has been the downfall of many. It’s like what my mother told me from the time I was a small child, your good name is your most important asset. It takes a lifetime to build a reputation, it only takes an instance to ruin it.

I was hurt by that as well, but I know Art personally & I like him even though I wish he had stayed!

I respect everyone’s opinion on this Board. I am sure Art is a helluva guy. He elevated our program.
But don’t rewrite history on how he left.
No sir.

3 Likes

He didn’t triple his salary going to Baylor. His first contract paid him $1.8M/year with incentives. He was making $1M including incentives at UH ($900K base).

His base was $1.2M. So really, he left for 25% more guaranteed.

Art was looking for the first BCS ship out of Houston, IMO.

2 Likes

I remembered a looking at the Stevenville HS message board around the time Briles was hired at UH, and a poster or two on that board, questioned his character back then. I just took it as some bitter fans that just did not want him to come to Houston, but the way how he left UH, brought me back to what those Stevensville HS posters said.

5 Likes